Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: [AHP ADD-ON] BlueWatch (Control via BlueTooth or WIFI Detection)  (Read 306563 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: [AHP ADD-ON] BlueWatch (Control via BlueTooth or WIFI Detection)
« Reply #165 on: March 11, 2010, 10:21:07 AM »

Ok it is offical!
The new BlueWatch version 1.0.0.0 is in beta testing. :)%
The first release was sent out today!
If you didn't receive the beta tester email or still wish to get in on it drop me a note.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: March 14, 2010, 05:58:39 PM »

Version 1.0.0.0 beta Update:
OK here's a teaser for all you BlueWatch users.
The beta testing is coming along nicely and some new cool adds are now in place.
BlueWatch Now has the ability to:
  • Display the BlueTooth class( Smartphone, Headset, Desktop PC....)
  • Display the services supported by that device(audio, video, networking....)
  • It adds this info to your log file if your creating one to give you a better idea of who (what) was in range
  • It displays time of day (no big deal)
  • It has user customized additions for the Connect.txt file and Connect.wav files
  • Has the option to report your device as unseen during scan pauses
  • Adds a user configured TTS announcement for unwatched Bluetooth devices discovered.
  • Displays all x10 activity (not just the last seen event)
And more are in the works!
 >!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 06:00:30 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

raster69273

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #167 on: March 15, 2010, 04:41:57 PM »

I would like to incorporate this program to track my employees, however I am having trouble getting Bluewatch to find my phone.  I am using the free trial until I can convince the accountant to pay!  I really need this to work.  My device is a "Motorola V323i"
Thanks,

jjsalobird

« Reply #168 on: March 15, 2010, 05:07:27 PM »

OK, I just started playing with the trial version and can see that this thing can be a good thing, however, the range on these bluetooth devices stinks, so basically you have to be right next to the thing to get it to connect, then as soon as you leave that close proximity, it disconnects, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Not being a programmer, is there a way to add a feature/features (or use in conjunction with some other software) that would connect your device, and then upon disconnect, do nothing, but later when it got a second (or third or fourth), whatever the user decided upon, connect signal, run a different program or send a different command?  This would then become much more useful in my opinion.  Or, upon disconnect run some kind of virtual connection, tricking the software into thinking it was still connected, then when it got a subsequent "real" connect signal, that would trigger a second set of commands?  Let me give you an example.

In my house, everyone basically comes in through the garage, into the entryway (where my front door is also).  So in my case, everyone must pass through an area of about 15 square feet.  I can get bluewatch to detect in this area, but as soon as they move downstairs, or into other areas of the house, bang, a disconnect.  It would be great if there were a way, as described above, for bluewatch to detect in this area, then send a x10 signal or run a program, play a file, whatever (as it already does), but to ALSO be able to send a different x10 signal, play a different file, or run a different program, upon a subsequent connection.  So it works like this, I come home, pass through the zone, it detects me, something is triggered, then I leave the zone, I get disconnected, nothing is triggered.  Then when I leave the house later, I pass through the same zone, I get connected, a different thing is triggered (the 2nd connection is detected).  In this way, it would actual work and the measly range of the dongles would not matter.  Somehow you would have to get the software to ignore certain connect/disconnect signals.

I realize this might be a stupid idea, and that there are some flaws in the above method, (I could leave out the back door), but still I think it would be more usable (just my opinion!).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: March 15, 2010, 05:38:53 PM »

raster69273
I doubt this will work for your situation!
Class1 dongles would be needed and the phones would have to be Class1 1 to get any type of range.
Your device has to be set to full time discovery and it must be kept in that mode or BlueWatch won't see the device.
All devices you wish to track must also be set to full time discovery mode.
Can windows see your phone?
What version of windows do you have? XP SP3 is needed.

jjsalobird
I think if you were to use BlueWatch in conjunction with AHPs timers, macros and flags your scenario could be done.
Since BlueWatch will start any program with a found or loss signal as well,  scripts may be another possibility.
I'll play with your Idea and see if something is do able in BlueWatch ;)
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jjsalobird

« Reply #170 on: March 16, 2010, 12:11:27 AM »

It was just a thought.  The best solution would be the invention of long ranger blue tooth. The next thing that could be done, is have everyone toss their cell phone in a basket that is within the blue tooth range, but I have teenagers and that ain't happenin'! 

Or, if it could keep track of the connect/disconnect pairs, then perhaps it could be configured to do different things based on the connect or disconnect in each pair.  Of course you'd have to figure out how to reset the counter.  As of now, it has no way of knowing which disconnect actually indicates leaving the house, but implementing the following would still have flaws since someone could "accidentally" reset the system.

My brain thought of this  :-\

To reset the counter, maybe you could have, in the user interface, an option to reset at the user's "pair" of choice.  For example if I chose 3 that would mean that after making the third disconnection, the program would reset the counter to 0.  If you allowed for 5 pairs of connect/disconnect triggers that it could keep track of (don't even claim to know how much code that would add), the user should be able to pretty much figure out how many were needed in his/her situation to best monitor occupancy.  That would give 10 user configurable sets of x-10 commands/programs to start/wav files to play, etc. based on how the thing connects and disconnects within our house.

You could them have a counter on the interface indicated where it was at in its count, ie. pair 1-1 pair 1-2, pair 2-1, pair 2-2 etc.

I did think of using bluewatch to set flags, then as long as that flag was set to ignore all other connect/disconnects, it would work to a certain extent.  The problem would still be how to make sure the flag was cleared when I actually left the house (now a blue tooth device attached to the vehicle would be close, but I could still leave with a friend).  And if I have to manually reset the flag when I leave, then hey, it's no longer automatic!!!

BTW, I liked the idea of a Wi-Fi watch, but blue tooth on my phone is free, wi-fi is not, however if you needed it bad enough, you'd get it.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #171 on: March 16, 2010, 09:55:35 AM »

OK, I just started playing with the trial version and can see that this thing can be a good thing, however, the range on these bluetooth devices stinks, so basically you have to be right next to the thing to get it to connect, then as soon as you leave that close proximity, it disconnects, which kind of defeats the purpose.

It was just a thought.  The best solution would be the invention of long ranger blue tooth. The next thing that could be done, is have everyone toss their cell phone in a basket that is within the blue tooth range, but I have teenagers and that ain't happenin'! 

I am not sure I follow your posts.

The whole idea of BlueWatch is Occupancy Sensing. Are you saying your having range issues? Just getting the dongle up and away from the PC can resolve many of those issues. More central location of the dongle and/or the PC is likely the simplest solution. I used a USB extention cable to get mine higher and in a better location.

However... longer range via antenna mods are also a possibility. I found this one posted on YouTube. I haven't performed or tested my own BT dongle antenna mod.... yet. But it seems as that is something some people may need to look at.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

raster69273

« Reply #172 on: March 16, 2010, 11:45:32 AM »

Tuiceman,
Yes I have XP PRO SP3
I am using a Kensington USB Dongle.
Motorola Phone Tools and Windows can find the phone without problems.
Thank You!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: March 16, 2010, 03:33:22 PM »

raster69273
Some PCs use their own brand of bluetooth stacks (not the windows version) you need to find out if this is the case.
Toshiba is one brand that does this.
There are instructions on the net to remove none native windows BT stacks and install the windows version.
The current version is only able to use the windows BT stacks.

Also I think Motorola phone tools installs a different BT stacks and that has to be uninstalled
>!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 03:35:18 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jjsalobird

« Reply #174 on: March 16, 2010, 11:23:55 PM »

Definitely range issues.  I understand what it is designed to do, but I really don't want usb extensions hung all over the walls.  I thought I could get 3 or 4 dongles and run this on 3 or 4 different PC's to get better coverage, but that won't work. I looked at some supposed solutions, one dongle/antenna deal that was to cover half a mile, but I don't need or want to spend 100 dollars on it.  Let's face it, blue tooth was never designed to be long range, and it most likely never will be.  So for me, I'll probably wait for a better way to do occupancy sensing.  Since we all carry our phones all over the house and blue tooth just can't handle it, the constant connects and disconnects become a nuisance.  My post was just a collection of ideas to somehow circumvent the range issues and still accomplish relatively the same thing.  If it works for other, great, go for it, but for me, I can't see it as the solution (not BlueWatch, but blue tooth in general).

HA Dave

« Reply #175 on: March 17, 2010, 09:15:08 AM »

Definitely range issues. 

OK. I understand now. I agree about the hanging dongles on the walls.... my setup remains very much hidden. I run one HA PC. I am not ready to run a network of PC's just to do Occupancy Sensing. I don't use a fancy dongle myself ether I got mine at Geeks. Actually... I bought THREE... so I can do an antenna mod and not worry about "if things go wrong". But I've found the 35 foot range to be exceptable for me.

But this use for BlueTooth is still pretty new [for how we are using it here]. Whereas I would agree.. we may still have a few things we need to learn about BT and OS. But I do sincerely believe this technology has come of age. The nice part is much has already been done and written about in regards to Occupancy Sensing. So we don't need to reinvent the wheel. I use BT as part of my OS setup. For some it may be all that is needed for complete Occupancy Sensing... but for me.. I needed extra processes in addition to BT.

I have also given some consideration to using a BT docking station. With cell phones and the landline the wife and I have become a three phone number household. So now a ringing phone [like any of them actually RING anymore] can mean determining who's phone and where. Forwarding the homephone to my cell number can simplify some things... but also add a level of complexity too. Having cell phones "auto dock" to/with landlines could also resolve... and create...  new problems as well.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:54:29 AM by Dave_x10_L »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: March 17, 2010, 05:07:11 PM »

BlueWatch was and still is primarily made for Occupancy Sensing many are finding ways to use this for other things.
It could be set so it locks your PC when you go out of range or do any number of PC tasks you don't want running when your sitting in front of the PC.
So there is a use for the limited range issues of bluetooth.
 Making sure both the PC BT radio is class 1 and the BT device being watched is class1 will increase the range.

Dongles are cheep I got 6 for under $1.50 a piece with free shipping so every PC now has  a dongle not all have BlueWatch installed (but that will come)
With RC Version 1.0.02 BlueWatch is now capable of pinging one device and keeping it connected. Yes even a ear piece and in addition to six other devices watched the normal way.
And ear pieces can be found cheep too!
And Yes when I come back into range with my  earpiece on BlueWatch sees it!
So now those with devices that don't send a constant discovery signal can get some benifit!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #177 on: March 17, 2010, 05:54:24 PM »

BlueWatch was and still is primarily made for Occupancy Sensing many are finding ways to use this for other things.

I think we've barely scratched the surface of what can and will be done with Phones, BT technology, and BlueWatch. I think a little creativity, imagination, experimentation, and testing... will pay big benefits.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: April 04, 2010, 02:16:56 PM »

Build 1.0.0.5 is now available
Please note:
Back up your current BlueWatch then
uninstall the previous builds to remove the old dlls which BlueWatch no longer uses from the registry.

Version 1.0.05 will incorporate your older settings
The look is very simular so there shouldn't be an issue with learning.
Although learning the ins and outs of the ping option may take some playing  ;)
Ping option is available for one device only as of right now. :-[  not sure if it is a limit of Windows or my dongle.
BlueWatch is now much smaller in size but has much more in the way of capabilities and options.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

idbl_fanatic

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #179 on: August 19, 2010, 06:36:58 PM »

SO I have a couple questions, I emailed Tuicemen, but I can understand busy.

1: I tried the trial version and love it, except, when the bluetooth "goes away" i.e. I turn off my bluetooth on the phone, it won't turn off the light, even though I have it set to do so.

2: If I "donate" how do I receive the software? Is it actual software that you can download, is is mailed, is it just a code you add to the trial?

Thanks
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.