Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: CM15A and AHP Worked Yesterday, Not Today  (Read 11604 times)

GregH

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM15A and AHP Worked Yesterday, Not Today
« on: January 03, 2010, 09:59:56 PM »

I have the CM15A, AHP v3.228, and the excellent XTB-IIR from Jeff Volp.
The CM15A is in an upstairs room and programmed to turn various lights on and off around the house.  The XTB-IIR is downstairs and plugged in through the dryer plug which is about 15 feet from the main circuit panel.  TVs and surge suppressors are behind XPPF filters.

The XTBM (Jeff Volp's excellent X10 Monitor) reports 8+ VPP sending signals to downstairs modules and 6+ VPP on upstairs modules when measured from an outlet in the room with the CM15A.  Frequency is 120 KHz and Noise measures .00.
Most of the modules are Leviton HCS08-1TW's.  In AHP I have the light switches configured as 2-Way Lamp Modules and Preferences|Macros set to "Issue 'On' in place of 'Bright 100%'".

I've had variations of the following for a long time:
Yesterday the CM15A executed all operations right on schedule.  Today it didn't run anything.  I haven't changed a light bulb nor added any new electronics or chargers.  Using a PalmPad lights will turn on and off.  If I plug the CM15A USB cable into my computer everything turns on and off manually.
I cleared the CM15A Interface Memory and re-downloaded the timers to it.  I'm assuming it will work find now.

As I said, this has been a common theme.  My CM15A appears to hold the programming for a while and then loses it.  Sometimes in a day, sometimes in a couple of weeks.

Any suggestions of what might be happening?

Thanks,
Greg

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: CM15A and AHP Worked Yesterday, Not Today
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 10:55:15 PM »

.......... My CM15A appears to hold the programming for a while and then loses it.  Sometimes in a day, sometimes in a couple of weeks.

Rarely have I seen as well written a post as yours. I would think it is safe to assume your pretty... detail orientated. So unless your not using good batteries in your CM15A....(and your prone to power lost in your area).

I would guess your CM15A is defective.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

GregH

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 04:34:10 PM »

Thanks, Dave.  I was attempting to be thorough so as not to post another "It doesn't work" plea for help.
It's been a puzzler, that's for sure. The batteries are good so I'll pick up another CM15A and test it against the one I have.

I'll report back here with the results.

GregH

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 05:18:48 PM »

I ordered a new CM15A today - happy to see that SmartMacros and the other software suite pieces are included.  When I bought my first CM15A they didn't even have SmartMacros written yet!

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 06:10:23 PM »

I ordered a new CM15A today - happy to see that SmartMacros and the other software suite pieces are included.  When I bought my first CM15A they didn't even have SmartMacros written yet!

Well then I take back my defective idea. Worn-out might be a better explanation (he he). But certainly the additional software will make the purchase worthwhile (I hope you got a deal). I can't imagine using AHP without the SmartMacros.

Rocket J Squirrel

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 08:13:21 PM »

I can't imagine using AHP without the SmartMacros.

I've been using X10 for over 20 years and AHP for about half of that. I never bought Smart Macros just because it costs extra and the X10 company is annoying. If you have the inclination, I'd love to be educated about why I need Smart Macros.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 08:34:39 PM »

Dave X10 will probably have a more detailed explanation, but the simple answer is: SmartMacros allows you to use conditionals (IF, THEN, ELSE logic) in your macros.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 09:04:16 PM »

... the simple answer is: SmartMacros allows you to use conditionals (IF, THEN, ELSE logic) in your macros.

Thats right! And I've seen "deals" where you get the entire suite of software AND the CM15A for $39.99. I picked up a spare from the scratch-N-dent tent (on-line tent). Never hurts to have a back-up spare.

GregH

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 10:30:22 PM »

Mine cost $49.99 but I'm spending Christmas money so it's okay. :)%
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:04:30 PM by GregH »

GregH

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 08:12:18 PM »

It has been 3 days with the replacement CM15A and it's working just as programmed on a number of modules.  I have it flipping lights on and off every 15 minutes, sometimes several at one time (3 come on at 1900), and all are working correctly.
I'm going to keep running the test for a while before pronouncing the situation resolved but it's looking like my old CM15A was, indeed, defective.

GregH

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 12:13:30 PM »

We can close the book on this one.  The new CM15A is working just as programmed.  I needlessly suffered for years with a defective CM15A and thought it was my power line or the modules or, or something.
A new CM15A and now all is well.
Thanks for the help everyone.

tybirdtybird

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 12:48:33 PM »

I just got it today in the mail. The hole package deal for $34.99 came with 3 LM465 3 AM466 3 DS10A  CM15A . The only software was messing was Iwatchout. The CM15A is not working it at all. It might be the cheap battery my mom had laying around. I'm going to the store today and get some good one.

With CM15A i don't have to have CM19A plugin right ?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 12:54:28 PM »

You could try a new battery but mine runs fine with no battery in it. Well until the AC goes Off.
I have not ever had a weak battery in one. So maybe it is in a funny state.

Correct with the CM15A; the CM19A and TM751 should not be needed.
The TM751 was needed to receive the RF from the CM19A and send it on the power line.
The CM15A can do power line sending and receiving. Also can do RF sending and receiving.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 01:02:11 PM by Brian H »

tybirdtybird

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 03:59:37 PM »

Still not working. i tried moving to other outlet also tried putting it a power strip. I tried useing my usb cable from my printer to see if its the cable.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 07:40:02 PM »

When you connected it. Did the operating system indicate a new USB device was found?

When you run AHP I would guess it said no interface found.

Maybe DOA.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.