Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: PC Companion Weather Issue  (Read 81426 times)

jjsalobird

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
PC Companion Weather Issue
« on: January 13, 2010, 05:35:31 PM »

Hi,

Have been using PC Companion for a few days and yesterday, it stopped getting the temperature and executing the  X10 codes associated with the temperature in the triggers section.  Anyone else having this issue?  I can still make it get the detailed forecast by going into program options, but clicking weather either in the main interface or in the trigger section keeps saying N/A.  Any help appreciated.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: PC Companion Weather Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 05:50:09 PM »

jjsalobird
PC Companion uses 2 different  web locations for gathering forcasts and getting temperature.
Sometimes information for your location doesn't get loaded to the web site if that is the case you will get the N/A
I'll look into it in any case. ;)
For more reliable weather PC Companion is now capable of interfacing with personal weather stations using VWS.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 07:01:19 PM »

Update:
Seems the Site PC Companion was getting it's temperature and current conditions from has changed their format. B:(
Hopefully it won't involve to much coding to fix. ::) :'
It may also lead to more info  that PCC can utilize ::) :'
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jjsalobird

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 07:26:33 PM »

Thanks for looking into it so quickly, I thought that might be it.  Will look forward to an update!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 07:32:19 PM »

jjsalobird,

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.  I have taken the PCC temp macros for granted.  I'll have to keep an eye on things till PCC gets fixed.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 09:38:25 PM »

UpDate:
Ok seems like this will be an easy fix! ::) :'
The web site sub folder was changed  for current weather.
And looks like I'll have to rewrite the parser for that page. B:(
Should have a fix for that before the end of the week. ;)
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 11:26:15 AM »

Up Date:
Since posting the fix for the temperature triggers in PCC Version 3.0.52
I've been able to get the display screens working correctly.

I think the Daily weather report even gives you a little more info now. ::) :'
Here is an example of what I'm able to pull off the new site so far:
Current Conditions Are: Cloudy 
Temperature is: 36 Degrees Fahrenheit.
Temperature Feels Like : 31 Degrees Fahrenheit.
Wind is: From the West at 6 Miles Per Hour!
Humidity is: 75%
The Dew Point is: 28 Degrees Fahrenheit.
Pressure is: 30.14 Inches.
Visibility is: Unlimited
And the U V. Index is: 0 - Low

The small info screen still only displays current temperature and condition.
If anyone would like more info reported let me know, and I'll see what else can be added before next update.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jjsalobird

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 07:15:18 PM »

Hi,

Would it be possible to have greater than or equal to and less than or equal to as well.  Also, would it be possible to trigger on the "feels like" temperature?  Just asking.  I also assume the greater than operator means exactly that, so greater than 32 means 33 and up and less than 33, means 32 and down.

I ask because right now I have  two triggers, less than 33, trigger on, and greater than 32, trigger off, so that anything 32 and down turns on my heater and anything 33 and up turns it off.

Thanks

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 07:30:35 PM »

Hi,

Would it be possible to have greater than or equal to and less than or equal to as well.  Also, would it be possible to trigger on the "feels like" temperature? 
It is certainly a possible add!  ;) Feels like is a combination of temperature, Wind speed and humidity.
So unless your wishing to activate something completely exposed to the elements it would mean triggering before needed.
Or turning off something before you should.
Just asking.  I also assume the greater than operator means exactly that, so greater than 32 means 33 and up and less than 33, means 32 and down.

I ask because right now I have  two triggers, less than 33, trigger on, and greater than 32, trigger off, so that anything 32 and down turns on my heater and anything 33 and up turns it off.

Thanks

Thats correct!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jjsalobird

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 11:33:28 PM »

Thanks

I may have asked this, but are you familiar with the software Weather Watcher Live?  For about 10 bucks it does a great job at accurate local forecasts.  For instance, right now, the info I get via PC Companion, from whatever weather service it uses, comes from about 30 miles away. The weather watcher live software has many more sites from which it gets its weather data.  So it is more precise (in my case, it has data from my small town).  I often see a temperature difference of 5 or 6 degrees.  Anyway, since I am not a programmer, all I can do is point it out, not sure if you could use it's data legally or not, but it's worth a look.  The link is http://www.singerscreations.com/Weather-Watcher-Live.asp.  It also has some logging capability, so I have attached a log file.  Don't know if the logs are suitable for PC companion triggers.  It just seems like a much cheaper solution, at least for me, and pretty darn accurate as well, compared to a personal weather station, using the virtual weather station software.  Anyway, just posting for your information, may be useful.

Thanks again.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »

jjsalobird
Never heard of Weather Watcher Live but it looks like it pulls info from two sources as well.
NOAA's National Weather Service   uses your Zip code to find your weather as well but is for the US only. But would be a simple add I think.
Weather Bug may be where your getting the most accurate info as it gathers info from personal weather stations.  ::) The issue with using this is I'd have to compile another data base for Cities as it won't use codes the other sites do! :(

Setting up a personal weather station doesn't have to be expensive.
Some places like Ambient Weather include a registered base version of VWS
If your only looking at temperature monitoring you can find units that just do that.
Ambient has a deal on now for one, beating prices on e-bay.

In any case if NOAA's National Weather Service reports a more accurate temp let me know and I'll look ad adding it as a info gathering site.
 >!

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jjsalobird

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 11:26:54 PM »

Thanks again, I'll take a look at the ambient stuff, I have heard that those weather stations have issues with the USB connection and the software that uploads the data.  The NOAA National Weather Service would be a nice addition, since it is always a lot closer to my local temps than whatever PC Companion now uses.  As I write, PC Companion reports 49, NOAA 46, the Weather Watcher Live, which is in fact from WeatherBug, reports 44, same as my outdoor thermometers, and the weather channel reports 45. I'll look to see if the next update includes this option.  Thanks again

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 09:56:15 AM »

jjsalobird  Nice to hear NOAA is a little more accurate. ;)
I'll start at adding this option. ;)
Pc Companion doesn't report the exact temperature reading for me either but is usualy only 1-2 deg + or - from my weather station. ::)
I was looking at posting an update today but I'll look at how much work it is going to be to add NOAA to the mix and may put that off.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 02:39:50 PM »

Update:
Looks like adding NOAA as a temperature retrieving site is going to be more work then I previously thought. :(  :'(  :-[
Seems punching in your zip code doesn't always send you to a common site B:(
That's the issue I first ran into when initially setting up the forcast option. :(
I'll keep playing with this and weather bug. ;)
Looks like I may have to create a new data base for which ever looks most promising ::) :'
I'll have to do somemore tests no need coding something in if it only works for part of a Country B:(  ::)  :(
Should have a new update posted that fixes current weather display issues later today.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jjsalobird

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »

Using the weather watcher live software I mentioned earlier, I can generate a text file identical to the temperature.txt file that PCC generates to check the temperature.  If PCC is indeed using that file to check it's triggered temp events, is their an easy way for PCC to use a file generated in a different manner, as long as it has the same name.  Right now it seems that if I copy my new file into PCC, it just overwrites it when it does its check.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.