Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Found a new app for Android Phones to control X10  (Read 143553 times)

Billaban

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Found a new app for Android Phones to control X10
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2011, 09:03:34 AM »

Well I guess I spoke too soon. It works great while I'm local to my home WiFi.  Beyond that I can't get it to connect.  Presume that this must be some sort of authentication issue.  I guess if I block my phone from my wireless hub I can try to debug. 

Re: Those working on interfacing to a security system. I haven't tried that....but I'll get to it once I (hopefully) solve this connection issue.

oneadvent

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2011, 09:12:27 AM »

You need to port forward to your computer. And then change the Ip address to your external IP. It has nothing to do with authentication.

Think of it this way: When you are inside your network (ie: connected to your wifi) you put your local computers address (ie: 192.168.1.108) and when the request for that address goes to your router it routes it internally, straight to the correct computer.

BUT when you are outside of your network (ie: 3g or whataburgers wifi) your internal ip address (192.168.1.108) doesn't mean anything, it can only be assigned to private networks (that is called a reserved ip address). You have to use your external ip address (ie: 68.105.192.15) but you still have one more problem. When you connect to that external IP address you will get your router. The router has to be told what to do with that connection. By default it must refuse all connections. You must tell it by port (6003) to send all traffic to that computer (192.168.1.108) on that port (6003). That is called Port Forwarding. You will have to look up how to do that on your specific equipment.

So the steps are: Change IP address on phone to external IP address then port forward port 6003 to 192.168.1.108 (or whatever your computer's internal ip address is) on your router.

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 09:14:20 AM by oneadvent »

oneadvent

« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2011, 08:41:06 PM »

Does anyone know how to convert RF signals to PL signals? I am trying to set this up but I am unsure.

Or send me to somewhere to tells me how.

Thanks.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2011, 09:07:06 PM »

A transceiver (a TM751 or RR501) is used to convert RF signals to powerline signals.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

oneadvent

« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2011, 09:10:15 PM »

I have that, but how do I make autom8 see the sensors our map out the addresses...i dont know how to find the addresses.

oneadvent

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2011, 08:22:11 AM »

I actually have the Activehome pro with the OnAlert plugin, so I can even see the different sensors there, I just cannot for the life of me figure out how to tell autom8 the addresses of these, without knowing if they are "N14" or something.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2011, 09:28:37 AM »

The sensors are Security types or standard motion sensors?

oneadvent

« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2011, 09:31:24 AM »

I bought the SC2100 so I have those parts. The DS12A and MS18A.

Thanks for helping!

Billaban

« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2011, 01:26:20 PM »

You need to port forward to your computer. And then change the Ip address to your external IP

I figured out how to do Port Forwarding on my router.  Kind of a screwy UI (Buffalo/DD-WRT) but I got it done.

I configured the autom8 phone configuration to the WAN IP for the router instead of the local IP of the PC.  However, it still only works while local to my WiFi, i.e., can't get a connection when outside (or manually disconnect) from my wifi.

Any suggestions?

oneadvent

« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2011, 03:42:26 PM »

Can you pm me the details? Change your password so when we are done I will be locked out.

oneadvent

« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2011, 09:45:46 PM »

Or just email me at oneadvent@gmail.com.

I suspect that maybe you are trying too fast and maybe your phone isn't picking up the carriers wireless. I am using dd-wrt too, so send me a screenshot of your port forwarding. Have you tried to reset that router. ddwrt is odd like that.

paizano1

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2011, 11:09:58 PM »

To those that may be interested in my findings and maybe others have already found this out.  I was having trouble getting the status of the modules to update. They would start out as off, on my screen of my cellphone. I was able to push the button and while sitting at home i would see the light come on, but the status of the phone just kept working and working and would never change to "ON".

I watched the video on the website and it seemed to work flawlessly, also about 2 pages back in this post someone else had the same problem except they just changed the letter of the module from a capitol to a lowercase, and that fixed the problem.  Well not for me.  What i ended up doing was in the new version of ahp it allows you to select the "old none soft start modules". I have chosen all these even though mine are the softstart ones.  Now the status updates fine and so far ahp seems to control them fine too.  I guess only time will tell if this will work for awhile or if something is going to crash soon.

Anyway that is what i did to fix my problem, I hope it helps someone else. This program and x10 was about the only reason i bought a smart phone, so glad it works now.

Billaban

« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2011, 07:45:25 AM »

Or just email me at oneadvent@gmail.com.

I'll do that. 

I suspect that maybe you are trying too fast and maybe your phone isn't picking up the carriers wireless

I don't think so but perhaps.  What I have been doing is disconnecting from my local network.  When I walk outside I can get a connection to another open network in my neighborhood and once that connection is established I try to connect on autom8. No joy.

I'll do a few screen grabs and send to your gmail account.  Thanks for the help.

mad212

« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2011, 01:05:55 AM »

I had a problem with 3g being blocked by peerguardian.  Did you port forward in the router?

Billaban

« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2011, 07:19:14 PM »

Did you port forward in the router?

Yes.  Still trying to figure this one out.

Finally got the external IP address using whatismyip.com but still can't connect.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.