Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ws477 switches, do I need slaves?  (Read 9181 times)

Jason B

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
ws477 switches, do I need slaves?
« on: April 07, 2010, 11:48:46 PM »

Ok, I'll try to make this easy. In my kitchen, I have 4 different light swiches that control the same light.

If I want to replace these with X10 switches, say a ws477, which comes with a 1 master, and 1 slave. Is this enought? Can I leave the other switches alone? Or do I have to replace ALL the other switches controlling that light with the x10 slaves?

Also, will the slave be able to dim the lights as well, or can only the master switch do it?

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: ws477 switches, do I need slaves?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 05:30:32 AM »

Ok, I'll try to make this easy. In my kitchen, I have 4 different light swiches that control the same light.

If I want to replace these with X10 switches, say a ws477, which comes with a 1 master, and 1 slave. Is this enought? Can I leave the other switches alone? Or do I have to replace ALL the other switches controlling that light with the x10 slaves?

Also, will the slave be able to dim the lights as well, or can only the master switch do it?

You have to replace all the other switches with slaves.

Only the master switch can dim the light.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Jason B

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 12:19:24 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply. But, can I leave some non x-10 slaves there? Or are you saying you must replace all with X10 switches? What would happen if I put the Ws477 to replace my stock master switch, and kept the existing non x10 slaves I have now?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 01:26:56 PM »

Depending on where the line and load wires are. One technically could be at each end.
Flipping one of the other ones would turn off the the power and nothing will work. Now if you bypassed the unused switches by splicing wires.

That could be a different thing. But would need a real good sense of Exactly how they are wired.

Jason B

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 08:10:11 PM »

I looks like the new switch versions with the soft start, will also control dimming with the companion/slave switches!

"The push button on the companion switch functions exactly the same as the push button on the master switch. The Soft Start feature and dimming also works at the companion switch. Works with an X10 transceiver module or security system base receiver for wireless remote control.
"

http://www.thex10shop.com/product/x10-x-10-pro-plw02-soft-start-3-way-wall-switch-set-ws4777

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 09:33:48 PM »

I looks like the new switch versions with the soft start, will also control dimming with the companion/slave switches!

"The push button on the companion switch functions exactly the same as the push button on the master switch. The Soft Start feature and dimming also works at the companion switch. Works with an X10 transceiver module or security system base receiver for wireless remote control.
"

http://www.thex10shop.com/product/x10-x-10-pro-plw02-soft-start-3-way-wall-switch-set-ws4777

I just verified that you are correct.  I was misinformed.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 09:34:30 AM »

"

I always thought the old companion switches were just Normally Closed momentry switches that completed the 3-way circuit from the master to the load. The Master had "local sensing" so the companion by simply opening the circuit could turn ON or OFF the master. Obviously my understanding is poo-poo if the companion switch operate the master's dim function. Anyone know how the master/companion, WS4777 combo, works now days?   ???
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 10:13:01 AM »

"

Dave,
The companion switches are Normally Open and just carry a signal level current when pressed.

I always thought the old companion switches were just Normally Closed momentry switches that completed the 3-way circuit from the master to the load. The Master had "local sensing" so the companion by simply opening the circuit could turn ON or OFF the master. Obviously my understanding is poo-poo if the companion switch operate the master's dim function. Anyone know how the master/companion, WS4777 combo, works now days?   ???
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

Jason B

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 03:55:34 PM »

I just installed a bunch os WS477, 3 ways, and all local dim at the companion switch! Cool. Glad they updated this.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 04:49:43 PM »

Memory here as mine where donated to friends just starting out with X10.

The CS277 has the Blue Wires tied together inside so the black load from the master get tied to the load. When you push the button it connects the red to the blue and sends a signal to the masters red wire.
It is Normally Open.
WS14A works basically the same way.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.