Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: how to monitor 4 doors (open/closed) with a non-PC display panel?  (Read 12596 times)

callagga

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Hi,

Is there a way to monitor say 4 doors and whether they are open/closed, and have a display panel in the kitchen (not a PC), that highlights whether they are open or closed?

Thanks

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: how to monitor 4 doors (open/closed) with a non-PC display panel?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 12:21:51 PM »

Is there a way to monitor say 4 doors and whether they are open/closed, and have a display panel in the kitchen (not a PC), that highlights whether they are open or closed?

You could monitor four cameras using a Quad Splitter for video. That would allow you to see all four doors/cameras at the same time. To receive notice if a door is opened... you may want to look at a DS7000 security alarm (set in the run2 position)... with DS10A's mounted on each door. This would provide a nice chime everytime a door is opened.

There is always a bunch of ways to remove fur from felines... this may be one of them... but there certainly are other options.

I have used a little TV, a video sender, a Home Automation PC (and old saved from the trash P3 XP computer), BVC with IR and powermid devices. So activity triggers the proper camera on and BVC turns on the TV and annouces the activity. Seen here at YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d78pNoPALZ8
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 01:01:54 PM »

What we have here is a DSC security system with the 16-LED keypads.  They monitor all doors and accessible windows.  A quick glance gives the status of everything.  It is a hardwired system, but has worked flawlessly since we built this house 7 years ago.  And no batteries!

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

callagga

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 04:56:42 PM »

You could monitor four cameras using a Quad Splitter for video. That would allow you to see all four doors/cameras at the same time. To receive notice if a door is opened... you may want to look at a DS7000 security alarm (set in the run2 position)... with DS10A's mounted on each door. This would provide a nice chime everytime a door is opened.
Don't want a video based solution or one with a PC.  So the DS7000 might be ok - do you know whether I could get an obvious indication at a glace (no button pushing) re whether the doors are open by just looking at the DS7000?

callagga

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 04:57:38 PM »

What we have here is a DSC security system with the 16-LED keypads.  They monitor all doors and accessible windows.  A quick glance gives the status of everything.  It is a hardwired system, but has worked flawlessly since we built this house 7 years ago.  And no batteries!
that sounds good - except I can't do wired to some of the points - do you know if there's a wireless options?

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 05:05:38 PM »

..... So the DS7000 might be ok - do you know whether I could get an obvious indication at a glace (no button pushing) re whether the doors are open by just looking at the DS7000?

Yes... little lights light up. Plus you can have a pleasent little chime when the doors open... if you choose.

Sorry I misunderstood.... I thought you wanted video at a glance.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 05:07:25 PM by Dave_x10_L »

callagga

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 07:41:12 PM »

re DS7000 - actually would it work in Australia?  we're on 240V

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 11:53:05 PM »

re DS7000 - actually would it work in Australia?  we're on 240V

Probably not.

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 05:42:22 PM »

that sounds good - except I can't do wired to some of the points - do you know if there's a wireless options?

DSC is a maker of professional grade home alarm systems popular here in the states.
I have a DSC PSC1555 panel in my home.

I don't want to put words in Jeff's mouth - but when I saw what you were asking for, I too wondered if you had considered a professional home security system rather than an X-10 based one. 

Like Jeff's - mine tells me at a glance of the panel, what zone's are armed/disarmed, what sensors are open, closed.  In my house, I didn't wire any windows, just the doors and added two motion sensors to cover the first floor.

And *yes* last time I looked many alarm systems supported a wireless option.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 06:08:14 PM »

Hi,

Thanks

It's not a fancy display panel, but four LM15A Socket Rockets screwed into bulb-to-plug adapters and plugged into a plug strip could provide the visual display unit.

Then either four PF284 PowerFlash units at the doors, or better yet a WGL V572RF32 Transceiver plus four DS10A Door/Window sensors at the doors could provide the X10 signals to actuate the display unit.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

callagga

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 06:59:35 PM »

It's not a fancy display panel, but four LM15A Socket Rockets screwed into bulb-to-plug adapters and plugged into a plug strip could provide the visual display unit.

Then either four PF284 PowerFlash units at the doors, or better yet a WGL V572RF32 Transceiver plus four DS10A Door/Window sensors at the doors could provide the X10 signals to actuate the display unit.

I like this lateral thinking!  Only issue would be which of these wouldn't work me in Australia with 240V?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 07:55:25 PM »

The SM10 is a 240 volt PF284 type interface. Not sure if it comes in an Australian type AC power Connector. I know there is a UK version.
There are also LM15 modules for 240 volt use.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 09:45:28 PM »

I like this lateral thinking!  Only issue would be which of these wouldn't work me in Australia with 240V?

You would use the 240V LM15 version of the Socket Rockets.  The WGL V572RF32 is apparently not yet available in the 433.92MHz version, BUT you could use the 310MHz North American version with the 240V XM10 interface and use the very inexpensive North American 310MHz DS10A Door/Window sensors.  You would need to check the legality of running 310MHz transmitters in your country, even though the signals from the sensors are intermittent low power and don't propagate very far.

BTW, it is possible to modify a 240V->120V "travel" adapter by adding bypass capacitors so you can run 120V X10 modules, as long as they're very low power.  You have to use an adapter which is purely a transformer (no solid state) and these are typically rated around 30 Watts, which would mean your bulbs could be only 7 Watts or less, like night light bulbs.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

callagga

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 09:54:11 PM »

BTW, it is possible to modify a 240V->120V "travel" adapter by adding bypass capacitors so you can run 120V X10 modules, as long as they're very low power.  You have to use an adapter which is purely a transformer (no solid state) and these are typically rated around 30 Watts, which would mean your bulbs could be only 7 Watts or less, like night light bulbs.

Thats interesting, however I'd then have to have a travel adapter for each detector point as well as the base station no? 

BY THE WAY - With the parts being recommended, is the basic concept to get a:  (a) X10 detector for the door, (b) a receiver/transmitter to remote the signal back to base, and then (c) base monitor itself?

callagga

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 09:59:01 PM »

actually I just come across the GE Choice Alert Control Center & Window/Door Sensor Kit  http://www.thehomeautomationstore.com/45142.html

It seems to be battery based, which whilst not ideal, gets around the 240V issue I suppose.  Not sure how reliable a product it would be?
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.