Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Inconsistant results with AHP 3.271  (Read 21264 times)

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: Inconsistant results with AHP 3.271
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2010, 04:04:55 PM »

As a test, you could shut down and unplug all of the A/V equipment, and see if that makes a difference with the light (you might want to test with both the CM15A and the TM751).
If it works fine with that stuff shut down and unplugged, then the problem is that the signal isn't making it past all of the noisy equipment / signal suckers with enough strength left to trigger the switch.
You can either move the CM15A to a different circuit / outlet, or put the A/V stuff on a plug-in filter (filters are pretty inexpensive).

I had a problem recently with three switches that refused to work at night. It turns out that my neighbor across the street had a CFL bulb in one of his outdoor fixtures, that was starting to fail. Generated enough noise to kill three of my switches from all the way across the street. Replaced the bulb and all was fine. Just an example of what noise can do to X10 signals.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2010, 06:37:22 PM »

I had a problem recently with three switches that refused to work at night. It turns out that my neighbor across the street had a CFL bulb in one of his outdoor fixtures, that was starting to fail. Generated enough noise to kill three of my switches from all the way across the street.
Wow! Are you and your neighbor on the same (pole) transformer?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

gdmaclew

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2010, 08:04:39 AM »

Moving the CM15A should also work.

Thanks Brian.
What I was asking before was, is it ok to move the CM15A to the current location of my TM751 after I have set up and downloaded the timer settings to it?
My understanding is that the USB connection is only needed to add modules and timer/macro settings to the CM15A.
Correct?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2010, 08:09:19 AM »

Yes you should be able to move it to where the TM751 was. After downloading the timers to the CM15A.

It may have to be reconnected to the computer when the time changes. To reset the clock in it.
I have seen messages that the DST dates where never change in the CM15A so it may have to be done four times a tear.

gdmaclew

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2010, 11:08:11 AM »

Yes you should be able to move it to where the TM751 was. After downloading the timers to the CM15A.

It may have to be reconnected to the computer when the time changes. To reset the clock in it.
I have seen messages that the DST dates where never change in the CM15A so it may have to be done four times a tear.

Thanks Brian.
I'll do a test and report back.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2010, 04:55:38 PM »

Wow! Are you and your neighbor on the same (pole) transformer?

Yes, as are about 8 other houses. He is the third-closest (electrically), but he has several outdoor CFLs, that seemed to come on at the same time my problems would start for the evening.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2010, 06:26:40 PM »

Gee and most of us have problems getting the X10 signals from one phase to the other. Through the transformer on the pole.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2010, 07:37:41 PM »

Gee and most of us have problems getting the X10 signals from one phase to the other. Through the transformer on the pole.

The problem was not getting the X10 signals from one phase to the other, but that the noise level was so high from the bad CFL, that it screwed with the Automatic Gain Control of my Smarthome Insteon switches (the only ones that were having problems), and messed up signal reception for them. I know the signal was VERY strong at the switch (as measured with my dad's oscilloscope), so it really was the high noise level.
The noise was high enough that even the XTB-IIR's super-powerful signal was not enough to overcome it.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2010, 07:58:32 PM »

My jest was most X10 signals could not get through the transformer and your noise was strong enough to be from a different house.
I have an LED light bulb that makes noise so bad it is on every circuit in my home as tested by an XTBM. I also have Insteon devices in my setup many have an X10 Primary Address in them.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2010, 10:56:24 AM »

I know the signal was VERY strong at the switch (as measured with my dad's oscilloscope), so it really was the high noise level.
The noise was high enough that even the XTB-IIR's super-powerful signal was not enough to overcome it.

Double WOW!! Those are some very noisy CFLs.  Maybe cheapest solution would be just to buy some "good" CFLs and give to the neighbor. I buy GE brand at Sams Club and although they are noisy, the noise does not seem to bother X10. My XTBM doesn't see the noise but my Elk meter pegs the bar graph, which indicates to me that the GE CFL noise is not at X10 frequencies or not happening at the X10 transmit window.

Puck edit: fixed quote.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:59:32 AM by Puck »

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2010, 11:32:23 AM »

Double WOW!! Those are some very noisy CFLs.  Maybe cheapest solution would be just to buy some "good" CFLs and give to the neighbor. I buy GE brand at Sams Club and although they are noisy, the noise does not seem to bother X10. My XTBM doesn't see the noise but my Elk meter pegs the bar graph, which indicates to me that the GE CFL noise is not at X10 frequencies or not happening at the X10 transmit window.
Puck edit: fixed quote.

It was a failing bulb. He has several others of the same type and vintage (about 5 years old) that were not creating noise (we tested them one at a time).
I bought him two new CFL "bug bulbs," the same type I use. Not only did that fix my problem, but he said he has fewer bugs around his front door at night. ;-)

gdmaclew

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2010, 10:18:23 AM »

Thanks Brian.
I'll do a test and report back.

Hi Brian.
I did a test and the CM15A worked perfectly during my vacation.
I stored the timers and plugged the CM15A into the same branch as the livingroom lights and it handled the outside spotlights on a different branch as well with no problems.
It was not connected to my computer during my vacation.
But...
Something strange is now happening.
I unplugged the CM15A from the wall and it is still not connected to my computer but the timers are still turning on and off my lights on the pre-arranged schedule I stored.
How is this possible if the CM15A is sitting on a shelf and there is no connection from my computer to the lamp modules?
This is really strange!

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2010, 10:53:56 AM »

I unplugged the CM15A from the wall and it is still not connected to my computer but the timers are still turning on and off my lights on the pre-arranged schedule I stored.
I assume you mean the shcedule is still running in the CM15A (and that will stop when the batteries run down) because there is no way it can actually control the lights without being plugged in....

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2010, 10:59:39 AM »

I note that if you uninstall AHP completely and reinstall it from scratch, it works fine.   Check my topic above this one.   
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

gdmaclew

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2010, 06:23:46 PM »

I assume you mean the shcedule is still running in the CM15A (and that will stop when the batteries run down) because there is no way it can actually control the lights without being plugged in....

I just figured out what's happening.
The CM15A, although not plugged into the wall, is sending its signals to the TM751. As soon as the CM15A's batteries run out....the actions will stop.
So I'll just reconnect the CM15A to my computer and delete the timers...problem solved.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 06:53:00 PM by gdmaclew »
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.