Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: New Nstinct Remote  (Read 164048 times)

ellliot

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: New Nstinct Remote
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2010, 11:36:27 AM »

After using it for a day, it is an ergonomic disaster compared with its predecessor ICON remote.! I use it primarily with a cable DVR. The only good thing about it is the bigger, softer side keys. They made the transport keys (play, stop, pause, rewind, FF, record, replay and advance) smaller and closer together, almost impossible to use. The OK key and the 4 arrow keys around it are run together with no spacing. OK has a terrible feel. Moving the volume and channel keys away was a minor improvement.
I have to say that the ICON, even with its poor layout, is a much more comfortable and easier to use remote. I will dispose of the Nstinct ASAP....

I need to clarify. I use a remote by holding it in one hand and pressing keys with my thumb. This is most definitely a 2 handed remote!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:10:56 PM by ellliot »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2010, 12:57:27 PM »

They made the transport keys (play, stop, pause, rewind, FF, record, replay and advance) smaller and closer together, almost impossible to use. The OK key and the 4 arrow keys around it are run together with no spacing. OK has a terrible feel. Moving the volume and channel keys away was a minor improvement.

Totally agree.  I ordered the orignal, and they shipped this in its place.  Too bad the original is no more...

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

J.B.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2010, 01:10:49 PM »

Is it just me, or does the "All Rooms" button, below the mute/All Units Off button, do nothing on the Nstinct?
I checked the manual but do not see any reference to this button and it's function (which should be self explanatory)

Just an update. I just contacted customer service (if you can call some of them that) It appears the 3 Nstincts I received are ALL defective.
One would display only a white screen while the other 2 did work, the all rooms button does not. It appears to be a firmware issue on this run.
Under the battery compartment, on a small white rectangular sticker, the code is XT040. The date code (round sticker found on the battery cover) is 10G30. Anyone who has recently received one of these with these codes may want to check the function of their "all rooms" button if using any x10 modules with the remote.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 04:01:34 PM by J.B. »

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2010, 09:36:30 PM »

They made the transport keys (play, stop, pause, rewind, FF, record, replay and advance) smaller and closer together, almost impossible to use. The OK key and the 4 arrow keys around it are run together with no spacing. OK has a terrible feel. Moving the volume and channel keys away was a minor improvement.

Totally agree.  I ordered the orignal, and they shipped this in its place.  Too bad the original is no more...

Jeff

The scalpers are already hawking the IconRemote RF on Ebay for $55 and up...  They must know people like the buttons   :'
>!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2010, 10:57:45 PM »

Is this a beta test again?   Yes, the new ALL ROOMS button doesn't seem to do anything on this one either (10G30).  However, the FAVORITE/ROOMS button does pull up All Rooms.  Since ALL ROOMS wasn't on the prior version, it really isn't a big deal for me.

So far it seems to work fine, but I've only scratched the surface of its functionality.  I like the fact that the volume and channel rockers now also have the appropriate X10 labels.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2010, 12:58:30 AM »

Mine's XT040, and I'll be darned if the All Rooms button doesn't work either!   :o

I probably never would have noticed if someone hadn't mentioned it though.   rofl

>!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Dr.Fiero

• Helpful Post Rating: 7
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2010, 11:07:24 AM »

Well, two notes....

One:
The BEST FEATURE I've found on this unit so far?  The fact that it was only $30, so I don't feel too ripped off.  ;)

Two:
The "All Rooms" mystery button IS doing something! 
Can't tell you what, but it all modes except X10, it's xmitting an IR signal.

J.B.

« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2010, 12:57:20 PM »

I did notice it was sending an IR command in some modes. When I spoke with customer service, they informed me, it is in fact supposed to be a working all rooms button and that I would have to return these for replacement.
Yet another X10 "oops" pushing a product before it is thoroughly tested.
Luckily, I still have 2 IR32As.

I do like that I am able to setup my AC without using the learning feature under HVAC on the Nstinct.
HVAC wasn't an option on the Icon RF and I had to teach it the commands.

brother

« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2010, 02:23:42 PM »

I found indeed it was easy to set up the ICONS, but the inst. man. was terrible in defining how to "integrate" various devices. I still don't know how to turn off the tv and dvr at the same time, yet, the tv is plugged into the Time Warner DVR box (made by Scientific American)...so, I am about ready to send it BACK!

brother  >*<

Hugh W

« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2010, 03:29:12 PM »

I have all the individual components with the Quick Power working.   But I would like to use the main Power button to Turn on the Cable, Audio and TV.  Right now it just turns on the Cable box.

Last night the Favorites were working - today they do not - they transmit, but the channel does not change.  Channel up and down work and I can manually type in the channel using the number keys.   - Thoughts?

tom j

« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2010, 07:31:13 PM »

The only thing I've noticed is that if the back lighting has turned off on the LCD, you have to hit the key a second time to send a command.

Hi I've noticed that to. Although that's not the case with my Harmony. I can accept that but after it's awake can you just tap the key once to send a command.  ???

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2010, 07:34:55 PM »

That makes sense.....  Like a cell phone -
First tap wakes it up, second press sends the command...   -:)

Just noticed if you just hold the key a little longer it will send the command even when the back lighting is off try it just hold the key until it transmits the command.

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2010, 11:07:15 AM »

Hay just requested an RMA for an exchange and there's something else I've noticed when I go into the X10 mode and use the lights on off command everything works fine when I use the dim 20% nothing, maybe it's something I'm not doing or maybe I really got a bad one anyone try these. Thanks

Tom j.

Dr.Fiero

• Helpful Post Rating: 7
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2010, 03:11:55 PM »

when I go into the X10 mode and use the lights on off command everything works fine when I use the dim 20% nothing ... one anyone try these.

Just tried it.  Sorry to say - it works fine.
The math is off (shouldn't be able to dim/bright 120% with 6 taps!) but other than that...

One thing I did notice, was that numerous buttons didn't work at first until I smacked them down pretty hard a few times.
As I've been using it more, they're behaving better.  Intimidation?  ;)

ellliot

« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2010, 12:46:19 AM »

"One thing I did notice, was that numerous buttons didn't work at first until I smacked them down pretty hard a few times."

Ditto that...

Did not help the OK button though...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.