Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hybrid Setup?  (Read 7865 times)

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Hybrid Setup?
« on: October 25, 2010, 06:04:19 PM »

So the people in my household hate the WS467 switches.

1) They don't like preset dim at all it's confusing them
2) They miss it when trying to walk by it and it's irritating

I have PCS paddle switches already in place in most of the common areas, but I am really thinking this family of mine likes toggle switches the best.

Anyway, I've been looking to replace the PCS switches with 2-way switches that report status when toggled locally or when requested. Also would like to get rid of the two WS467's I have.

I'm torn between toggle or paddle switches, and at ~$45 a pop for those smarthome lincs/icons, that kinda puts me off a bit.

If I were to use those Insteon/X10 switches I may want to use their insteon functionality to get my moneys worth....which would mean a hybrid setup.

If anyone could give advice on a hybrid setup, or recommend more affordable 2-way switch....

Also can the preset dim be disabled?

thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Hybrid Setup?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 06:34:26 PM »

They don't handle dim and bright commands and report their status differently.
Smarthome chose the older %dim command. X10 chose to use the more modern X10 commands.
At full on and full off they report on and off. In between they report a %dim that may not be decoded by you program correctly. Though if PCS is working for you they use the same %dim. Same for local paddle changes. Except at full on it send an On and at full off an Off.
The relay versions that don't dim always report on or off. By local button or status request.

PLM in the below data is their present serial interface for Insteon.
The PLM is based on an "old" x10 protocol similar to that used by the PCS Smartswitches. These devices used "preset Dim" and standard "Dim" commands.
X10 brand, Leviton, and other manufacturers conform to a "newer" X10 standard that uses "extended code Direct Dim" and standard "Dim" commands.
Most of these devices will not respond to the "preset Dim" commands available on the PLM.

Brandt

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 06:42:35 PM »

I'm sorry I kinda lost you there...what is PLM stand for again? power line modem?

What difference does it make to the user what protocol the switch uses? Or would I only have to worry about that in a software compatibility sense?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 06:46:07 PM by Brandt »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 07:01:34 PM »

Sorry the PLM {correct Power Line Modem} was unclear. I was just to lazy to rewrite the file I use to show the different ways dim commands are handled. The method of dim commands used was the important part.

Mostly software problems. If the software does not understand %dim commands. A local paddle change may not register in the program. Also if the programs used the Extended Code Direct Dim to control the Insteon Module. The Insteon module would not go to the proper level requested.

Example AHP if I called one a WS12A in AHP. It could dim and brighten the module. As it used the old standard dim commands but if I locally reset the level with the paddle it did not show in AHP. Full On or Full Off did toggle the modules Icon in AHP.

If I called it a LM14A used by some for soft start switches. AHP didn't control the level at all except on and off. Along with the local paddle not registering back in AHP.

One thing you may already know. The Insteon and Icon switches need a Neutral Power connection to operate.

Also if you find someone selling used ones. Some of the older modules had the small tact switches on the PC board get intermittent. To the point Smarthome extended the warranty to seven years for the known problem date codes. You may want to ask about the condition of the switches.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 07:49:07 PM by Brian H »

Brandt

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 07:49:48 PM »

So it looks like switchlincs and togglelincs are the most affordable 2-way switches correct? Looks like Leviton is about $30 more  ???

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 07:47:32 AM »

I have not looked at prices of different brands lately, but a quick search. Did seem to find Levitons with two way capabilities {not all are} more costly.

If you want a different color paddle on the SwitchLincs than white. They up charge five dollars. Now if you buy white and buy the $5.49 paddle color change kit it has two sets in it.  ;D Some folks also like to change the suppied light pipes from clear to one of the optional ones. I chose frosted white replacement kit as the LEDs can be fairly bright at night. I used Blue in a different one near my garage door.

Brandt

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 04:45:09 PM »

I'm pretty set on using Leviton 16400's in the bedrooms because the switches there normally just control an outlet anyway, can just use a lamp module on that end.

For the fixtures, i'm debating whether to just go for the switchlincs, or get the more affordable Icons.

I use pure x10, no insteon, and I do all my scene/macro programming on the computer end of things (don't care to program light switches)

My needs are 1) transmit x10 status on local control 2) respond to status requests 3) be able to disable preset dim on dimmer switches.

Looks like they both meet my needs, it's just a matter of how much extra insteon fluff I want to pay for. Although the light pipe color change kits and paddle kits look pretty cool...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 06:07:52 PM »

The Icons have one LED Off. No bargraph and I believe it is Amber.
Shorter warranty and power ratings.
For what you are doing they maybe fine as a Primary X10 Address is all you seem to need. The new Rev >5.0 Insteon versions also eliminated the X10 Scene Addresses. They do make Icon paddles if you did need one other than white.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 08:10:59 PM by Brian H »

Brandt

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 01:49:43 PM »

ok, I think I'm going to go for the switchlincs, but get em a couple at a time due to money supply, etc...

Also, do the X10 (Pro) paddle switches have true-rocker action?

Brandt

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 03:52:12 PM »

Brian what insteon controller do you use?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 04:02:38 PM »

The Universal Devices ISY99i. It is a third party one and fairly expensive. It interfaces to the world through the Smarthome 2412S or 2413S Power Line Modem. It can run alone and is network accessed to program it or check operations. There are Linux and Mac OS users also using the ISY99i.
It also can do all the linking of devices with out the manual button pushes used to link devices.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 04:09:56 PM by Brian H »

Brandt

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 04:14:32 PM »

The ISY devices look awesome. Id love to go with that and a bunch of nokia n series tablets running InterfaceGO around the house. However I'm not at that level yet. I had a 2414u but it died on me. Any recommended entry level interfaces?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 04:36:08 PM »

You looking for a controller that can be programmed and then the computer can be turned off or one that is used with a computer 24/7?

Brandt

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »

Well, I already have a Sheevaplug w/ linux running 24/7 controlling my X10.

If I could plug it into that and run some other linux program, that might work.

I guess what I'm getting at, is if I start investing in switchlincs, keypadswitchlincs, I could see myself wanting to take advantage of their insteon functionality. For right now though I am purely X10, and I see the unused features of these switches it makes me want more out of them.

Brandt

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 11:48:25 AM »

Interesting results with my SwitchLinc Dimmer 2476D Rev5.0+ using Heyu:

Code: [Select]
(Light is ON)
root@haplug:~# heyu status c4
11/01 22:23:43  rcvi addr unit       4 : hu C4  (kitchen_dining_light)
11/01 22:23:43  rcvi func     StatusOn : hc C
11/01 22:23:43  rcvi addr unit       4 : hu C4  (kitchen_dining_light)
(Light is DIMMED almost all the way. Visually appears to be off)
11/01 22:26:42  rcvi addr unit       4 : hu C4  (kitchen_dining_light)
11/01 22:26:43  rcvi func     StatusOn : hc C
11/01 22:26:43  rcvi addr unit       4 : hu C4  (kitchen_dining_light)
(Light is turned OFF via heyu, or locally)
root@haplug:~# heyu off c4
Unable to send command bytes

Unable to send command bytes

Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.