Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Remote Internet access to x10 without leaving home PC on  (Read 64939 times)

madbrain

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Remote Internet access to x10 without leaving home PC on
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2021, 07:08:54 AM »

I just mentioned the Smartenit device for X10 control from afar via an Android or IOS app, through the web portal or Alexa/Google Home. 

Yeah. It looks like I could use Habridge on my Odroid XU4.
https://coreyswrite.com/electronics/home-automation/amazon-echo-x10-home-control-updated/
I haven't gotten that to work yet, though.

No need to use the ZigBee or Insteon protocols if not needed.  Of course the Kasa products have their own app.

Yes. The Kasa app is pretty basic, though, unfortunately.

Google Home seldom understands my voice. I have yet to try Alexa.

I would prefer a good web UI that works well in a browser, be it desktop, tablet or mobile.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2021, 07:42:03 AM »

I just mentioned the Smartenit device for X10 control from afar via an Android or IOS app, through the web portal or Alexa/Google Home. 

Yeah. It looks like I could use Habridge on my Odroid XU4.
https://coreyswrite.com/electronics/home-automation/amazon-echo-x10-home-control-updated/
I haven't gotten that to work yet, though.

No need to use the ZigBee or Insteon protocols if not needed.  Of course the Kasa products have their own app.

Yes. The Kasa app is pretty basic, though, unfortunately.

Google Home seldom understands my voice. I have yet to try Alexa.

I would prefer a good web UI that works well in a browser, be it desktop, tablet or mobile.

Those two items are solved with what I recommended. There's an app for your Android devices and a Web Portal for your PC. You can use the web portal from a mobile device but the app is easier.  For $60 you'll have it all working in 30 minutes.

madbrain

« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2021, 08:55:01 AM »

Those two items are solved with what I recommended. There's an app for your Android devices and a Web Portal for your PC. You can use the web portal from a mobile device but the app is easier.  For $60 you'll have it all working in 30 minutes.

Only for my X10 devices, though. Using a bunch of different apps for different home automation devices isn't the greatest experience.

brobin

« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2021, 11:20:41 AM »

Please let us know when you find the app that does it all.

madbrain

« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2021, 06:37:47 PM »

Please let us know when you find the app that does it all.

I will :-)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2021, 07:44:17 PM »

I can't say what the best option is today.  I can say that I have used HomeGenie for this very purpose over the years.  It has an app or you can use the regular web interface.  I run HG on a RPi3 currently but it will work on any variant.  I haven't used remote access i a couple years due to a change in my ISP, but if you have external access to your home network it should still work great today.

The only limitation for HG working is if it works with the protocols you need.  It works excellent with X10 and should work with plenty of other systems.  However, nobody has been making updates for a few years with any regularity so I wouldn't necessarily recommend starting with HG today.

b0b99

« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2021, 11:32:12 AM »

Have you looked at Domoticz? It supports many protocols and has a very active user community. I have been using this on a Raspberry pi for 4 years, running X10 devices, temperature sensors and Foscam cameras without any problems. If interested check out the WIKI at https://www.domoticz.com/wiki/Main_Page.

Bob

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2021, 09:20:12 PM »

Honestly.... I removed X-10 from being controlled via Alexa (via homeseer).

But that's ONE way to extend control remotely. I (of course) use Amazon-Alexa, along with routines, timers, etc to control my Home Automation. Last year I bought the Amazon ear pieces (like ipods). They work GREAT at controlling and monitoring my home. I normally wear a single ear bud and listen to the local news stuff while out cycling (I am a bicyclist). And I can control everything and hear all my alerts too.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

madbrain

« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2021, 06:34:40 AM »

I can't say what the best option is today.  I can say that I have used HomeGenie for this very purpose over the years.  It has an app or you can use the regular web interface.  I run HG on a RPi3 currently but it will work on any variant.  I haven't used remote access i a couple years due to a change in my ISP, but if you have external access to your home network it should still work great today.

The only limitation for HG working is if it works with the protocols you need.  It works excellent with X10 and should work with plenty of other systems.  However, nobody has been making updates for a few years with any regularity so I wouldn't necessarily recommend starting with HG today.

Thanks. I wasn't able to find the list of supported devices for HomeGenie. Is there one somewhere ?
Starting on something no longer supported is probably not ideal, though. But it does look like it does what I want, if it supports my devices.

I just ordered 3 more XPS4 switches to control my porch light, circulation pump, and the lights near my hot tub. I hope there won't be noise issues. Don't expect it for the first 2 locations, but quite possibly for the 3rd.

madbrain

« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2021, 06:38:14 AM »

Have you looked at Domoticz? It supports many protocols and has a very active user community. I have been using this on a Raspberry pi for 4 years, running X10 devices, temperature sensors and Foscam cameras without any problems. If interested check out the WIKI at https://www.domoticz.com/wiki/Main_Page.

Bob

I have not. The only devices I have are X10 switches, X10 appliance modules, and TP-Link Kasa wifi switches. I don't see any of them on the supported device list for Domoticz at https://gadget-freakz.com/product-category/domoticz-compatible-products .

madbrain

« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2021, 06:48:15 AM »

Honestly.... I removed X-10 from being controlled via Alexa (via homeseer).

But that's ONE way to extend control remotely. I (of course) use Amazon-Alexa, along with routines, timers, etc to control my Home Automation. Last year I bought the Amazon ear pieces (like ipods). They work GREAT at controlling and monitoring my home. I normally wear a single ear bud and listen to the local news stuff while out cycling (I am a bicyclist). And I can control everything and hear all my alerts too.

I don't think something voice-based and that goes through the cloud is the way to go for me for home automation. It always takes at least 2-3 tries for the voice recognition to understand my accent with Google assistant. Just drives me crazy. It used to work pretty well, but the quality of voice recognition has severely worsened over time. I can't explain why. I have tried to redo the voice training to no avail. It can no longer even understand very basic commands like "navigate home" on the first try. It would be great if it worked, but it just doesn't anymore. I have yet to try Alexa, admittedly. Not sure how that would integrate with things like Google maps.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2021, 06:54:06 AM »

Have you looked at Home Seer. If the CM11 is the at the heart of your automation setup it will tick all the boxes for you including secure remote access without opening your ports to the outside world. Have a look for yourself https://homeseer.com/

You can see the level of community here too for X10 https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/lighting-primary-technology-plug-ins/lighting-primary-technology-discussion/x10-homeseer

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2021, 10:50:10 AM »

The main homepage lists the main ones in the top blue section.

https://homegenie.it/

X10, Insteon, Z-Wave, Philips Hue, UPnP/DLNA, RFXCom, KNX, communicate with external web services

I would not recommend using HG unless it is the only one that meets all of your needs.  It has no active development to speak of and the user community is paltry at this point.  The author deleted the user forum which was a vibrant community and moved over to Google before deleting that and only retaining GitHub issues for feedback.  I haven't checked in recently, but he was silent for over a year before having a spurt of updates in early 2021.  I believe it's been quiet since.

That said, the reason it's so quiet is that the author feels HG is a finished product which it mostly is.  The problem is, it's best used in Linux on a SBC and the OS changes regularly meaning software requires maintenance too.

brobin

« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2021, 11:30:10 AM »

The whole issue of remote access has me wondering.  Just how much control is needed when one isn't home?  I've had remote access ever since the X10 phone responder and now via apps/Alexa but I can't remember the last time I've used it.  My schedules control everything and I rarely touch a light switch so what is everybody controlling when they're not home?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2021, 04:56:48 PM »

I use HomeGenie and monitor both locations via IP cameras in the interface which I can move to presets. I can easily see if something needs switching on or off if switch status showing is incorrect.  As well turning on a light can result in a better pic.
Since when I travel from one place to the other is never the same time, I can also turn on/off heat or AC so place is comfy when I get there.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.