Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wireless Outlet..?  (Read 6772 times)

psa

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Wireless Outlet..?
« on: February 07, 2011, 10:22:27 PM »

This is my first post here...

Trying to come up with a way to control a outlet wirelessly....

If I plug the Powerflash unit into a outlet that is controlled by a on/off wall switch and then plug a lamp into a X10 Lamp Module (LM465) that is plugged into a outlet in a different part of the room or even in a different part of the house....will I be able to turn on/off the lamp via the wall switch....?....if not.... any suggestion on how to do this with an X10 product or other product...?

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: Wireless Outlet..?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 02:04:38 AM »

Switching on just might work, but when you flip the switch off, you're disconnecting the PowerFlash from power, as well as disconnecting its signal path.  ;)

Interesting thought though.
 >!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 09:31:29 AM »

Well you could plug the powerflasher into an unswitched outlet and use a small wall wart power supply in the switched outlet.
To trigger the powerflasher in the low voltage input mode 'A' and output mode 'C'

I tried a powerflasher and a small 5.2 volt DC wall wart. It worked OK but when the supply was turned off. The DC output from it kept the lamp module on for maybe ten seconds. Before it discharged enough to turn the powerflasher off.

They do make small AC wall warts and I tried one of them. The On and Off of the lamp module was fairly fast.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:46:24 AM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 10:47:36 AM »

You could also replace the wall switch with one that transmits a status  X10 code when switched which will control a remote X10 module.

http://www.smarthome.com/2476S/SwitchLinc-Relay-INSTEON-Remote-Control-On-Off-Switch-Non-Dimming-White/p.aspx
http://www.smarthome.com/2876SB/ICON-Relay-INSTEON-Remote-Control-On-Off-Switch-Non-Dimming-White/p.aspx

If this is your only application, I would look at alternatives. X10 cotrols modules by signals over the homes powerlines. This can present signal reliability problems stemming from electrical noise and/or lack of coupling between the two electrical phases in your home.

http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

You might consider a true RF controlled outlet available from Home Depot, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WIRELESS-REMOTE-CONTROL-PLUG-SWITCH-INDOOR-WALL-OUTLET-/370476349143?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56421c76d7

If it had to be synchronized by the switch controlled outlet then the RF switch would be difficult to use and you are back to X10. Just be aware of the possible complications..

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

psa

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 11:00:19 PM »

Well you could plug the powerflasher into an unswitched outlet and use a small wall wart power supply in the switched outlet.
To trigger the powerflasher in the low voltage input mode 'A' and output mode 'C'

I tried a powerflasher and a small 5.2 volt DC wall wart. It worked OK but when the supply was turned off. The DC output from it kept the lamp module on for maybe ten seconds. Before it discharged enough to turn the powerflasher off.

They do make small AC wall warts and I tried one of them. The On and Off of the lamp module was fairly fast.

Yeah this sounds like my best option..I just ordered my PowerFlash....it will be here in a few days.....I'll post a update once I have everything.....

This is what another guy in a separate forum told me...

"Assuming that switched outlet is only half switched (top or bottom), plug the pwer flash into the always live side and plug a small 9-15 volt AC or DC wall wart (transformer) into the switched side. Connect the low voltage side of the transformer to the power flash. Option the power flash for low volts input.

Now the power flash is live all the time. When you throw the switch in will liven the half of the outlet with the transformer and send low voyage to the power flash and it will send the on command. Turn the switch off and will remove low volts from the power flash and it will send the off command. "

http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/wireless-outlet-receiver-transmitter-94745/

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 06:03:32 AM »

That should work.
I forgot some outlets are split. With one always on and the other switched on and off.

Keep us informed on your progress.

psa

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 09:43:39 PM »

OK...this is what I got....I have to move a very large cabinet to get the outlet I need to plug this all into....so I want to see if I have my setting and connections are correct...am I missing anything...?

Input Mode A/B
Input Mode “A” -0-18v AC or DC at Input Terminal
Input Mode “B” Constant at Input Terminal

Output Mode 3:
Engaged:           Sends a X10 ON Command at the "Set Address",  ie. - A1
Disengaging:      Sends an X10 OFF Command at the "Set Address", ie. - A1
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 09:50:54 PM by psa »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 07:22:46 AM »

Looks correct.
You may want to pick a different address as every X10 module from the factory is on A1, but changing it is not 100% required.

psa

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 10:24:51 AM »

After I posted last night I did a "test"...plugged everything up and when I plugged in the wall wart my lamp came ON...when I un-plugged the wall wart my lamp went "OFF"...had about a 2 sec. delay before my lamp turned "OFF" just like you mentioned in "Reply #2".....

I just need to move my big cabinet to get to the outlet I need access to.

You may want to pick a different address as every X10 module from the factory is on A1

I currently have no other X10 devices in my home...but I agree...I will pick a different address since my PowerFlash will not be easily accessible behind my cabinet.

Thx for all the help.... ;D

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.