Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: AHP computer running 24-7 ?  (Read 10111 times)

radeohedca

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
AHP computer running 24-7 ?
« on: March 16, 2011, 01:54:19 PM »

It didn't occur to me while I was having an orgasm about AHP and all the potentially neat things I could do that I will need to have a live computer running 24-7 (duhh).

In attempt to keep my hydro bill to a minimum I am thinking about acquiring an older netbook computer that has a solid state hard drive (no forever-spinning HDD).  I'll strip down Windows to the bare essentials then only install the X-10 apps that I need (AHP- MyHouse, MyGarage etc...).
Has anyone else done this (before I start putting bids out on a SSHD netbook) ?

BTW, anyone I ever knew who owned one of those old solid-state drive netbooks quickly got rid of them due to the very slow access speed during normal application use (I understand newer generation SSHD's are supposedly better). Nonetheless, I think I can live through the slow installation for the apps that I need so long as the functionality is not compromised.

Is anyone already doing this ?  Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Hugh

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: AHP computer running 24-7 ?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 02:29:54 PM »

Ain't doing it, but I don't think slow access time would be a problem for AHP.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Jeff M

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 02:34:53 PM »

This is exactly what I am planning, if I can find a netbook for $200 or less.  There are power saving features in windows to stop the HDD from spinning after a specified idle time, so needing a solid state drive is really not an issue.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 02:42:07 PM »

There are power saving features in windows to stop the HDD from spinning after a specified idle time, so needing a solid state drive is really not an issue.
That isn't the same as slow access. Let us know how AHP reacts to waiting for the drive to start.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

radeohedca

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 02:53:11 PM »

This is exactly what I am planning, if I can find a netbook for $200 or less.  There are power saving features in windows to stop the HDD from spinning after a specified idle time, so needing a solid state drive is really not an issue.

I considered this but there are issues there too which is why I'm exploring the SSHD possibility.
A mechanical HD needs to spool up for potentially seconds before making an initial access after it's been asleep, which I suspect would manifest as X-10 latency issues... i.e. "when I hit 4-ON, dammit turn ON now, not in 5 seconds !!"  :)  A SSHD access would be near immediate although a little slow on the transfer.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 02:55:43 PM by radeohedca »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 03:28:24 PM »

.... A mechanical HD needs to spool up for potentially seconds before making an initial access after it's been asleep.....

I run an old P3 Home Automation Computer using XP. The same one has been running nearly 4 years now... running 24/7. I have it setup as a 24/7 PC (it doesn't sleep). It works great and I don't plan on giving up the computer control. 200 bucks (for a netbook) would buy a heck of a lot of electric I could use to run an dust collector. The old PC's seem to be available to most people for the takings. Everyone has one in a closet or attic.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

radeohedca

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 03:40:29 PM »

.... A mechanical HD needs to spool up for potentially seconds before making an initial access after it's been asleep.....

I run an old P3 Home Automation Computer using XP. The same one has been running nearly 4 years now... running 24/7. I have it setup as a 24/7 PC (it doesn't sleep). It works great and I don't plan on giving up the computer control. 200 bucks (for a netbook) would buy a heck of a lot of electric I could use to run an dust collector. The old PC's seem to be available to most people for the takings. Everyone has one in a closet or attic.

I've seen used netbooks with SSHD on the local online swap pages going for $100 or less. The slow SSHD was a real turnoff but in my case the speed is of no real consequence and the embedded nature is in fact desirable.
There's also the noise and heat generated by a desktop, far lower on a netbook. But the worst part is the psychology of  leaving something on 24-7 and listening to my wife complain about it. A quiet and inconspicuous netbook would be easier to pass off lol albeit it would take quite a few kWhs to catch up to ~$100. 

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 03:46:25 PM by radeohedca »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 03:51:32 PM »

I was thinking of going a similar route last year, when I was having problems extending my USB line. What stopped me was that the netbook I wanted to use had no setting to resume from a power failure, AND had no wake-on-lan capabilities. Most desktops, even older ones, can do both of these.
If my Home Automation PC goes down during a power outage (it is on a UPS, but it only has about an hour of runtime), I want it to come back up after the power is restored. As a fai-safe for that, another Pc of mine (also always-on) sends it a "wake on lan" command during its own boot process, as well.

If your netbook shuts down )or goes to sleep), you may have to manually turn it on or wake it back up. If you're not at home (the whole point of the Internet-connected apps), you have no way to do that.

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 06:06:14 PM »

........ the worst part is the psychology of  leaving something on 24-7 and listening to my wife complain about it. A quiet and inconspicuous netbook would be easier to pass off

Sometimes we just have to man-up, sit our wife's down, look them in the eye, and lie to them about what we're doing. At least until they learn to love home automation as much as we do. Then... of course... honesty is always the biggest problem.

I run X10 using BVC on my Home Automation Computer... and my wife asks me to add things for the computer to announce for her. But admittedly that didn't happen overnight.

lodtrack

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 07:49:45 AM »

On the netbook idea, the processors on them don't need much power and are sufficient for their intended purpose. If you intend on having any video applications on your HA setup, the machine will likely bog down. Generally the onboard integrated video cannot handle the traffic.

radeohedca

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 08:05:26 AM »

You guys make some valid points, especially with the wake up on LAN and the like. Indeed may not work so well on a netbook.
I guess to put things into perspective, how much power could a stripped down desktop possibly use with the monitor turned off.... probably not much worse than having a 100 watt light turned on. I should borrow my buddy's Kill-A-Watt power meter and do some tests.

stoney

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 09:26:25 PM »

I've heard that the average of cost per kwh is somewhere between $.09 and $.12 depending on location. That's 10, 100 watt lightbulbs burning for one hour so the cost of a 100 watt bulb should be a tenth of that! More or less.

Personally I see this as a non issue considering the fact that your fridge, furnace / A/C, TV, and other items in your household Run more and cost a lot more than a small notebook.

My desktop and my wife's desktop never shuts off other than during a power outage that lasts more than the 20 - 30 minutes supplied by our UPS devices.
We really didn't notice any appreciable difference in our electric bill as a result.

Besides, there is definitely a tradeoff for a degree of automation, comfort, control, fun, WAF and developing a "Smart house". That's my take! YMMV!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 09:47:58 PM »

The energy used to keep the PC on 24/7/365 can probably be offset by the energy saved by using X10 to turn of other lights/appliances when not needed.

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 10:00:10 PM »

I've heard that the average of cost per kwh is somewhere between $.09 and $.12 depending on location.

I understand that in California a KWH is around 42 cents now. I pay nearly 20 cents. But the math remains the same. The major part of peoples electric bills are not a PC... or even lights.

systemdm

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 10:17:08 PM »

Hey Dave, maybe the only thing cheaper here than where you live.  In northern California I pay $.12233
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.