Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ADT vs x10  (Read 8806 times)

xboxhaxorz

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
ADT vs x10
« on: April 28, 2011, 12:18:33 AM »

So obviously the main benefit of ADT is that it calls them and they can monitor things in your home. BUT you pay a fee for that.

I just got the 19 piece kit, and set it up. I think overall it will work fine, the door sensor works without a hitch.

However the console, if the alarm goes off and somebody just smashes the keypad console it wont call me and the alarm will stop going off. Security is no more.

With ADT i assume they have a sensor so that if it is destroyed it alerts them. With x10 if its destroyed it cant dial out.

Any ideas on how to bypass this destruction?

pomonabill221

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
Re: ADT vs x10
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 12:21:40 AM »

You could hide the console in a closet or somewhere that would not be easily accessable and hidden...

no57

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 09:37:09 AM »

However the console, if the alarm goes off and somebody just smashes the keypad console it wont call me and the alarm will stop going off. Security is no more.
With ADT i assume they have a sensor so that if it is destroyed it alerts them. With x10 if its destroyed it cant dial out.
  This is the problem with *any* one piece console/siren/dialer. But in most cases, once the alarm starts, intruders don't stay around to see the outcome. And they have to have broken in for the alarm to sound anyways, so the alarm will be triggered.
  The idea is to make the console/dialer  hard to find:
  - Do not leave it in the open on the table or the wall next to the glassed entrance door!
  - Since the console can be armed remotely, you can hide it somewhere where the intruder needs to come in further, which causes him/her to waste time.
  - Then you add a couple of remote sirens and flashing lights. The remote sirens are loud and add to the mayhem and confusion. The strategically placed flashing lights also attract attention to the house. If the intruder finds the console, it will have called you by that time.
  The SC12A makes it easier because you can silence the siren, making it even harder to find since the intruder will not have an audio clue.
  Traditional alarm systems have a separate keypad, the main unit and dialer are hidden away in a closet or basement. But they are wired, not wireless, except for DCS's Alexor or some hybrid (traditional console with wireless sensors) setups. A really determined intruder can smash even those, but for that level of intruder to break into your home, you must lead a very interesting life!  ::)

JC

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 11:28:43 AM »

You can "what if" anything to death. What if they cut the phone line first? The ADT will be as useless as the SC1200 as far as notifying anyone.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

pomonabill221

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 02:37:59 PM »

You can "what if" anything to death. What if they cut the phone line first? The ADT will be as useless as the SC1200 as far as notifying anyone.
  This is true!  However... there are SOME alarm systems (pricey!) that have a cellular/satellite phone system so that IF the phone lines are cut (they usually incorporate a "cut line" detector), the wireless phone link would be used.  A friend of mine had this in his home because of his business and insurance for his business, it lowered his insurance.  This was years ago when cell phones were a BIG luxury though.
  this is getting alot more expensive though, and for the "regular" home alarm system, this would be cost prohibitive, especially for X10!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 10:45:01 PM »

This was years ago when cell phones were a BIG luxury though.
  this is getting alot more expensive though, and for the "regular" home alarm system, this would be cost prohibitive, especially for X10!

There are BlueTooth devices that can use cell phones. The technology has got really cheap and somewhat easy to use. There was a guy using X10 alarm and a cell phone (with a BT connection) here at the forum a couple years ago. It seemed worth searching for... to me.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

pomonabill221

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 11:03:25 PM »

Yes I forgot about bluetooth!!  Cheap and easy!
That would allow hiding the console and not having to get to it!
Good idea!

kdfederer

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 12:01:37 PM »

I have my X10 hooked to an XLink BT. My home phone is actually a cell phone and the BT device is hooked to the home wiring powering all the phones in the home. If the security device is activated, it uses the BT device to call through the cell phone. Works perfectly.

aptalca

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 08:57:03 PM »

- Since the console can be armed remotely, you can hide it somewhere where the intruder needs to come in further, which causes him/her to waste time.
  - Then you add a couple of remote sirens and flashing lights. The remote sirens are loud and add to the mayhem and confusion. The strategically placed flashing lights also attract attention to the house. If the intruder finds the console, it will have called you by that time.
  The SC12A makes it easier because you can silence the siren, making it even harder to find since the intruder will not have an audio clue.

JC

Can you guys tell us which remote sirens (powerhorns) the SC12A is compatible with? I saw a few threads about powerhorns being incompatible with it. But they were kind of confusing and everybody was talking about the manufacture dates of powerhorns and such. (I felt a little lazy to read through all those pages)

Just a simple model number would be highly appreciated.  :)

Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 06:53:50 AM »

None of us can say with 100% accuracy as X10 keeps tweaking firmware to try and fix problems. Without giving us a clue. Things just change.  ;D

A new Large Powerhorn X10 PH508 or X10Pro PSH01 should work fairly well. May take longer to trigger than when being used with the older console and pause occasionally. Again unless X10 has done something in the 2011 units. My 2010s work with the minor glitches.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.