Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: phone-in voice is my pet peeve --- "disarmed???"  (Read 6352 times)

aptalca

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
phone-in voice is my pet peeve --- "disarmed???"
« on: July 28, 2011, 02:34:24 PM »

My sc1200 does not have the best reception from the kr32's. When I press arm outside after locking the door, I can never be sure if the system is armed or not. A lot of times I phone in to make sure. (Until I mod the antenna)

When I call, I enter my pin and press 99* to hear the current status, half the time I hear the lady say "disarmed??"

She says it as a question!!!! WTH?!?!

It's like she's not sure and she's asking me.

I'm like "I don't know, you tell me!! That's why I called!!!"

I know X10 is supposed to be cheap and not the best quality and all. But seriously, didn't anybody listen to this recording before finalizing the software on the device??? After recording it, didn't they check to make sure it sounded fine????

Come on X10, a little attention to detail, please, you're killing me.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: phone-in voice is my pet peeve --- "disarmed???"
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 02:41:50 PM »

Guess we are lucky it is not in Chinese.  rofl

Do you have an external light you can watch? It should flash On for about two seconds when armed with a KR32A or KR10A.

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 03:22:54 PM »

Sounds like the KR32A/KR10A is more bother than its worth.  I dumped mine.   If it is sometimes out of range during arming.   I hate to see you entering your home (thinking its disarmed) with alarm sound greeting you.   

If you have  PC running 24x7 close to your home  exit, you could possibly use the AHP/Onalert/CM15A/CM19A as a relay ie program OnAlert to recongize your key remote, and trigger macro to transmit the arm/disarm to the Sc1200.  I had this running one time but decided to dump this klunky solution.

aptalca

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 11:41:18 AM »

Well I live in a rowhome (the long and skinny townhouses).

If I put the sc1200 right in the middle of the first floor (I mean dead center), then the kr32's work 100% from right outside of both the front and the back door. (If you walk 2 feet away from the door, it doesn't work, but I can live with that)

But when the sc1200 is moved to the side by the wall where the phone jack is, the kr32's work 50% of the time right outside the doors. So every time I leave the house, I have to wave my arm around while repeatedly pressing the "arm" key, I look ridiculous and my neighbors are laughing at me  :)%

The lights are a good idea, but I cannot conveniently install lights, and I need the current lights/floodlights separate from the security as they are tied to security cams. Maybe I'll try to put a lamp right by the window on the inside and I might be able to see it through the blinds as I leave. That might work.

I might try the cm15a macro route but unfortunately the cm15a doesn't have much better range  rofl

X10 put a decent antenna on the tm751. Why can't they put that in the cm15a and the sc1200?? I mean it would only cost an extra cent or two in Chinese manufacturing. I guess I gotta mod the cm15a and put the tm751's antenna on it.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 11:46:46 AM »

I believe there is a thread here. Where the user modified an SC1200A. By installing an external antenna rod on it.

Since the antenna is wrapped around the case from front to back. At the top and bottom case seam. On a table or hanging on a wall has been reported to make a difference.

I feel the pain with a KR32A. Holding it sideways effects how far mine sends.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 12:08:59 PM »

When I call, I enter my pin and press 99* to hear the current status, half the time I hear the lady say "disarmed??"

She says it as a question!!!!

Perhaps it is supposed to be a question...we ARE talking X10 here.  :'
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 12:42:19 PM »

I might try the cm15a macro route but unfortunately the cm15a doesn't have much better range  rofl

X10 put a decent antenna on the tm751. Why can't they put that in the cm15a and the sc1200?? I mean it would only cost an extra cent or two in Chinese manufacturing. I guess I gotta mod the cm15a and put the tm751's antenna on it.

I can't speak for the SC1200, but there are a number of modifications you can do to increase the RF reception range of the CM15A.
The simplest one (which I did on two CM15A's) is referred to as the "passive reflector" mod, and doesn't involve opening up the CM15A or voiding the warranty.
Simply take a straight piece of wire, about 18.5 inches long, and attach it alongside the CM15A's antenna, making the bottom of the wire even with the "elbow" at the bottom of the CM15A's antenna. Use some tape, plastic zip-ties, or some other non-metallic material to hold the two together.
That's it. You aren't making an electrical connection between the two, but the longer wire acts as a "helper," to reflect the RF signals to the CM15A's antenna. I was skeptical at first, but it worked great for me, and plenty of others here have had similar success.
There are more complicated mods, including replacing the CM15A's antenna with a longer antenna, extending the wire, or even putting on a connector and making your own external antenna. I suggest trying the simpler mod first.

As for the SC1200, I seem to remember reading here that someone did the same thing (placed an 18.5-inch wire parallel to the plane of the built-in antenna), and had better results.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 12:49:48 PM »

She says it as a question!!!!

Perhaps it is supposed to be a question...we ARE talking X10 here.  :'

Maybe she isn't sure, and is just guessing?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 02:24:02 PM »

Yeah, that's what I thought too.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 02:28:15 PM »

>Maybe I'll try to put a lamp right by the window on the inside and I might be able to see it through the blinds as I leave. That might work.
In my installation we use the outdoor garage lights via X10 wall switch as feedback for ARM and alarm trigger flashes.

Solves the exit and ARM confirmation problem however you do not get feedback on DISARM for reentry.  So  sc1200 does nothing signaling wise... no PLC signals... no light flashes.   

I've tried AHP/CM19A/CM15A/Mobile Onalert however I did it not find it usable in its current form.   Maybe you'll have better luck. I;m using Android phone.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.