Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: applinace switch model xps3 will not turn or off  (Read 8232 times)

caddyroger

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
applinace switch model xps3 will not turn or off
« on: August 02, 2011, 07:38:53 PM »

I have 7 xps3 being used as a light switch. All 7 has been working ok for last 2 years except 1. It started not to work about a month ago. The set up is all on 1 phase of the electrical box. So no phase issues involved with this problem. I can not turn off or on the light using a hr12a control. It as a filter to cancell the noise out
  What I have tried.
 Changed the switch, changed the code number change code letter. I do not know of anything else to do. what could be the cause?

« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:47:27 PM by caddyroger »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: applinace switch model xps3 will not turn or off
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 08:00:43 PM »

I have 7 xps3 being used as a light switch. All 7 has been working ok for last 2 years. The set up is all on 1 phase of the electrical box. So no phase issues involved with this problem. I can not turn off or on the light using a hr12a control. It as a filter to cancell the noise out
  What I have tried.
 Changed the switch, changed the code number change code letter. I do not know of anything else to do. what could be the cause?

What are you using as a transceiver? It it working? Do you hear it cllck when you use Palm Pad to turn on its internal address (1 if TM751 or 1 or 9 if RR501). What about electrical noise? Try moving your transceiver to other outlets and retest. For all seven XPS3 to quit at same time, you either have:
1. new electrical noise source probably on same circuit as your transceiver.   http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
2. bad transceiver.
3. bad Palm Pad.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

caddyroger

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 08:45:41 PM »

Sorry it not all 7 just one 1. I am using a tm751 transceiver. I have changed to other locations but it still does not control the one switch. I have tried 3 different remotes with the same problems.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 06:00:19 AM »

Is it the location or the switch that is not working.
I though you said you tried a different switch in the problem location, with the same results.

One possibility is the XPS3 has just plain failed.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 09:12:40 AM »

It might be a noise source on that circuit.  What you describe is similar to a problem I had after installing a 120V Lumoform 4W LED light a couple of years ago.  The Leviton switches on that circuit stopped working reliably.  The one controlling the Lumoform bulb didn't respond at all to X10 commands when it was on.  All is well after isolating that Lumoform bulb behind a XPPF filter.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 01:42:14 PM »

Sorry it not all 7 just one 1. I am using a tm751 transceiver. I have changed to other locations but it still does not control the one switch. I have tried 3 different remotes with the same problems.

Sorry, I mis-read your post. With only one failing, I'm in the same boat as Brian and Jeff. You probably have a new noise source on the same circuit as the problem XPS3. Read about noise at the URL I posted.

caddyroger

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 07:10:41 PM »

It might be a noise source on that circuit.  What you describe is similar to a problem I had after installing a 120V Lumoform 4W LED light a couple of years ago.  The Leviton switches on that circuit stopped working reliably.  The one controlling the Lumoform bulb didn't respond at all to X10 commands when it was on.  All is well after isolating that Lumoform bulb behind a XPPF filter.

Jeff

I have a XPPF filter on the circult before the lights.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 07:41:35 PM »

Since the XPPF filters X10 signals as well as noise, I assume you mean the fliter is between the XPS3 and the light. But you could have noise source else where, like between the the TM751 and the XPS3.

caddyroger

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 09:33:46 PM »

Since the XPPF filters X10 signals as well as noise, I assume you mean the filter is between the XPS3 and the light. But you could have noise source else where, like between the the TM751 and the XPS3.

Do you mean the XPS3 and the XPPF filter? I plugged the transceiver on the gang box that the switch shares and the switch works but some of the others would not. It acting like a phase problem but all of the circults are the same phase. The only thing left is the transceiver.

caddyroger

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »

Found the problem. My computers are on the same circult as my lights. I shut them  down and unplugged them and the light is working OK. I had a another 5 amp XPPF plug in filter so I am down to 1 computer printer and phone equipment. I ordered a X10 XPF 20A 3-Wire X10 Noise Filter for the computers and equipment power outlet. I'll get that Saturday.
Thanks every one.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 10:51:07 PM »

...and now that the case is closed, have a +1 on me.  Thanks to your troubleshooting, this whole thread will serve as an educational testimonial.  Thank you for seeing it through and reporting back.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 08:41:54 AM »

Found the problem. My computers are on the same circult as my lights. I shut them  down and unplugged them and the light is working OK.
So it was a noise problem. What is interesting, and one for the books is: It worked fine for two years, then suddenly knocked out the one XPS3. We have seen aging CFL bulbs go noisy, but a computer suddenly generating noise (or higher levels of noise)  where it did not before, doesn't happen very often. You may have a filter cap going bad in one of the power supplies. Could be useful for you to try and isolate the culprit since it may get worse.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 10:55:22 AM »

Could be a deteriorating power supply in the computer.
There is a whole web site devoted to questionable caps. Killing all kinds of electronics.

If the computer starts rebooting on its own or lots of Blue Screens Of Death. That would be another indication the power supply is getting bad.
Besides the sudden X10 signal killing.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:57:04 AM by Brian H »

caddyroger

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 10:41:34 PM »

B:( Guess what it does not work 100%. I use a Harmony one remote to turn off tv amp and lights. I use a ir543. My my daughter son-law stayed with me for the last 5 months and the way I had my lights set it would have been a headach to use. I just stopped the lights from working with the Harmony one.  They moved out so I redid the Harmony to control the lights. All the lights works ok except for the one that was giving me problems yesterday.
  If I have the Ir543 and the TM751 the same circult the harmony one it works ok. Looks like I am going to have to stop using the x10 on these lights or get a 30 ft extension cord for the second Ir 543 that I have.   ;D
  You take the helpful rating off.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 08:57:41 AM »

If I have the Ir543 and the TM751 the same circult the harmony one it works ok. Looks like I am going to have to stop using the x10 on these lights or get a 30 ft extension cord for the second Ir 543 that I have.   ;D

If you are sure it isn't a phase coupling problem, then it must be noise. So is just a matter of locating the booger. If now you are not sure it comes from the computer, the fact that things started working when the computers were off simply means the computers contributed enough noise to mask the X10 signal and there is some other generator in the mix. If you have an extensive X10 system, you might want to invest in a signal strength/noise meter. There is only one worth mentioning: XTBM from JV Digital Engineering. http://jvde.us/xtb_index.htm

Other wise just start unplugging things until the XPS3 starts working again. Switching power supplies and CFL bulbs are big offenders. Switching power supplies are everywhere: any wall wart that is so light in weight you think there is nothing in the case will be a switcher, flat panel TVs and monitors, power bricks for laptops, printers, etc. New high efficiency washers, HVAC systems etc can also have switching supplies.

good luck
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.