Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is the z-wave ready for after-X10 age?  (Read 4315 times)

wyx2000

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Is the z-wave ready for after-X10 age?
« on: August 18, 2011, 01:17:19 PM »

I was excited when I knew X10, right I put my first order, rumor is around that X10 home automation is stopping. Hope it is not me who causes it :)

I tried to search what is the future of home automation, I found Z-Wave, sounds a good idea. And Ethernet for home automation is what I thought too. But it seems they are still not mature? Could someone shed a light here so I have some ideas about all these.

Thanks

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: Is the z-wave ready for after-X10 age?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 02:53:26 PM »

Where are you located? That will determine what is available.

Z-Wave happens to be available in both North American and European versions and one or the other usually works in other places around the world - it depends on local regulations on frequencies, etc.

I haven't looked at Z-Wave in any depth since its introduction so my comments may be outdated.

It costs quite a bit more than X-10 and only a few companies provide software to control the various serial and USB interfaces. The mesh network requires strict adherence to rules. Adding a node requires retraining the entire network, removing a node improperly creates problems. Defective nodes (that have in effect removed themselves improperly) create big problems. Range is short so modules need to be rather closely spaced (~20' MAX IIRC). The number of hops is limited. The combination of short range with limited hops means you may run out of hops before you run out of real estate. 

If you want to write your own software, the SDK only costs $3500.  :'
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:07:13 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 03:33:07 PM »

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgHb6Gq4ol2CcHEyUzhmdnUySlhFdjFOZTlUSVFoZEE&hl=en#gid=0
A comparison chart of, automation protocols.

Remember the following is produced by Smartlabs to hi light Insteon, but does give some data on Z-Wave and other protocols.
http://www.insteon.net/pdf/insteoncompared.pdf

I have a few Z-Wave modules to play with. As Intermatic dropped out of the Z-Wave game and I got them dirt cheap.
I do not like the fact that only one controller can be the Master. That is allowed to add and remove devices. Any added controllers can be cloned from the master but can't add or remove. Also all modules should be installed before you do the actual adding or removing.

I agree. X10 is the most cost effective but you have to do some added work to sometimes get a well working system.
A typical Insteon switch is $45.99 for the white button and add $5 for a colored one.
An ApplianceLinc is $34.99
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:01:11 PM by Brian H »

wyx2000

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 03:37:55 PM »

Where are you located? That will determine what is available.

Z-Wave happens to be available in both North American and European versions and one or the other usually works in other places around the world - it depends on local regulations on frequencies, etc.

I haven't looked at Z-Wave in any depth since its introduction so my comments may be outdated.

It costs quite a bit more than X-10 and only a few companies provide software to control the various serial and USB interfaces. The mesh network requires strict adherence to rules. Adding a node requires retraining the entire network, removing a node improperly creates problems. Defective nodes (that have in effect removed themselves improperly) create big problems. Range is short so modules need to be rather closely spaced (~20' MAX IIRC). The number of hops is limited. The combination of short range with limited hops means you may run out of hops before you run out of real estate. 

If you want to write your own software, the SDK only costs $3500.  :'

That is crazy, I was silly enough to think improvement is for easy to use, but looks like it is for more profit as usual.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 03:39:16 PM »

Could someone shed a light here so I have some ideas about all these.
Google is your friend.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 04:02:43 PM »

Was the comparison chart of Automation Protocols helpful?
If it was unclear. Maybe we can answer some of your lingering questions.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 04:25:14 PM »

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgHb6Gq4ol2CcHEyUzhmdnUySlhFdjFOZTlUSVFoZEE&hl=en#gid=0
A comparison chart of, automation protocols.

That's fairly good although it could use some ballpark cost comparisons.

I haven't been following this area lately but wonder what has happened with Homeplug Command & Control which used a subset of the technology used for broadband over power-lines. Initially, it seemed to be targeted at HA but I can't find much current info.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

wyx2000

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 04:41:52 PM »

Was the comparison chart of Automation Protocols helpful?
If it was unclear. Maybe we can answer some of your lingering questions.

It helps to show technical information, but more involved I guess.

I assume Z-Wave is more advanced.  Maybe it is not, maybe it has other issues. But at least it is a bit expensive to me, that is the bottom line.

X10 seems fine, two issues I had was the control of fluorescent and range. You helped me to know the WS13A which solves the problem. The range need some modification to the AHP, that is an option.

So I think X10 is good enough for me for now, just not sure what we can do if we cannot buy X10 home automation products in the future.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.