Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: X10 AirPad 7" Android Tablet  (Read 50068 times)

Tesla

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Re: X10 AirPad 7" Android Tablet
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2011, 05:20:50 PM »

I am sorry but I guess I need to wait for AirPad2:
While this is pretty good 1st stab at a $200 Tablet it is missing a few key features:
1) BlueTooth
2)GPS- Android Google Navigation
3) Hgher Rez Dislpay
One can pick up Dell Streak 7 at various times for $199 and it at least has GPS & Bluetooth but still has low 800 x480 ( phone display)

I also looked at the Dell 7" Streak. I think what it comes down to is you have to compare "apples to apples".

The Dell Streak 7" (WiFi only) is $350 ... currently discounted to $300. That's still 50% more cost that AirPad. If you really need BlueTooth and GPS embedded, go ahead and pay the extra $100-$150 dollars for it. But you still have the lower res. that you don't like for some reason (which I don't quite understand since the tablet is smaller ... seems about right to me).

The Dell Streak 7" with WiFi and 4G is much more expensive because you have to pay 2yrs. of Data Plan charges ... what is that ... about $800? So, T-Mobile picks up the bill for most of the cost of the device or the device is $450. And maybe you don't like T-Mobile?

It all depends on what you need and are willing to pay for it. I think the AirPad will appeal to many people.

Hopefully, we will eventually get BlueTooth and/or GPS abilities on AirPad with external devices and users can buy them and use them if they need them.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 09:26:34 PM by Tesla »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2011, 05:46:47 PM »

With bluetooth dongles as low as $1.99 it's only a driver issue, a simple software fix.
I imagine the GPS thing can be worked arround too, as Tesla stated.
As for the better resolution I think what it has is good enough.
It isn't a big screen TV
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

J.B.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2011, 08:40:54 PM »

It isn't a big screen TV

For a 7" tablet the resolution should be fine. Remember that it also has a 1080p HDMI output, so if anyone did want higher resolution it can be run out to an HDTV.

For such a handy, portable device in this price range I think it would meet most peoples needs.

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2011, 11:36:50 AM »

With bluetooth dongles as low as $1.99 it's only a driver issue, a simple software fix.
I imagine the GPS thing can be worked arround too, as Tesla stated.
It isn't a big screen TV

The only issue I have with dongles is that they are warts on the device that stick out and can get broken easily if bumped when carrying the device around.  Not only can the dongle get broken, but the USB port also, then you are screwed.  Granted they make some pretty small bluetooth dongles now which would probably not be too much trouble, but a GPS dongle is going to be a bit bulkier.  If these options are built into a rugged device the issue is eliminated. 
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

fuzzynco

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2011, 07:54:28 PM »

Can device be rooted to run  things like  Titanium Backup and Root Explorer?

Is there a recovery similar to ClockWorkMod for nandroid backups?

How is the battery recharged (via  USB port?)

Is  there a USB driver for support of ADB?

Does the device have an IMEI or is something
like the Nook Color hack needed to support
apps that insist on having phone serials on
non phone devices?

Would flash drive (USB mass storage)
devices be supported (either through
self-powering or powered hub)?

Is a std usb keyboard supported via
the regular USB host port, (with
keymap to match it)?

Thanks

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2011, 08:17:50 PM »

And the all important question: Has anyone outside of X10 seen one of these yet?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

J.B.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2011, 10:59:48 PM »

And the all important question: Has anyone outside of X10 seen one of these yet?

Appears someone has actually received one: http://www.uisgeek.com/2011/09/01/geek-review-x10s-airpad-7/

Sounds promising for the price.

X10 Dev

• Helpful Post Rating: 19
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2011, 10:29:19 AM »

Can device be rooted to run  things like  Titanium Backup and Root Explorer?

Is there a recovery similar to ClockWorkMod for nandroid backups?
The device is rooted.  You can explore the device easily using ADB.  The flashing/recovery tools use the standard Rockchip ROM tools.

How is the battery recharged (via  USB port?)
There is a separate power port for powering the device and charging the battery.

Is  there a USB driver for support of ADB?
Yes.  You can use the standard ADB driver.

Does the device have an IMEI or is something
like the Nook Color hack needed to support
apps that insist on having phone serials on
non phone devices?
Can you give an example of an IMEI-required app?

Would flash drive (USB mass storage)
devices be supported (either through
self-powering or powered hub)?
Yes,  you can plug in a USB flash drive and use the flash drive.

Is a std usb keyboard supported via
the regular USB host port, (with
keymap to match it)?
Yes, you can plug in a standard USB keyboard and it works just fine.

ruban11111

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2011, 12:29:34 PM »

urgently need a firmware! Please give a link to the original firmware. Foolishly flashed the firmware from another tablet, and now it not work properly

X10 Dev

• Helpful Post Rating: 19
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2011, 03:33:56 PM »

urgently need a firmware! Please give a link to the original firmware. Foolishly flashed the firmware from another tablet, and now it not work properly
You have a PM.  We're releasing the firmware, but haven't done so yet.    I'd prefer if our early customers would not end up in your predicament...

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2011, 05:34:26 PM »

X-10 should get together with MagicJack. I don't think there's any technical reason why MagicJack could not create a software-only version that would run on the AirPad using the mic/speakers (even the camera) and connecting via WiFi, turning the AirPad into a phone with a plan costing $24/year. There would be no need for the USB-POTS dongle. It could vastly increase the market for both X-10 and MagicJack and both companies could promote it.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

DemDave

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2011, 10:43:46 PM »

X-10 should get together with MagicJack. I don't think there's any technical reason why MagicJack could not create a software-only version that would run on the AirPad using the mic/speakers (even the camera) and connecting via WiFi, turning the AirPad into a phone with a plan costing $24/year. There would be no need for the USB-POTS dongle. It could vastly increase the market for both X-10 and MagicJack and both companies could promote it.

You can already do all of that with the Skype app and a Skype monthly subscription. Or you can make free calls in the U.S. with Google Voice app (along with cheap pay-as-you-go International calls).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:46:21 PM by DemDave »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2011, 11:27:05 PM »

But Skype is not quite as economical as MagicJack and I want as little to do with Google as possible - nothing connected to them is free - I don't need them building a database of who/when I call. The main benefit to each company (MagicJack & X-10) would be the aggressive marketing done by the other.

I haven't tried Skype but already use MagicJack and know the quality is excellent.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Cb49

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2011, 08:58:32 PM »

Not very impressed with air pad. Received mine Thursday and the power cord already does not work after charging one time.  Customer service is less than responsive.  Beware!

barclay

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2011, 11:08:53 PM »

I received my Air Pad several days ago and it is awesome. I've added apps from the Google aps source as well as the Amazon source. I am also downloading several books from Amazon and will use the Kindle ap to read them. Very pleased so far.
Now to a question to a knowledgeable hardware source.
The settings menu sets up and configures the WiFi. There is also a configuration menu for ethernet. It shows that it can be enabled but that there is no device found. There is the option to include all the TCP/IP information to connect to a wired network. The question then is - Will there be released an ethernet device presumeable able to plug into the USB (Host) port??????
This is advertised as a Tablet PC. Does that mean that eventually there will be other PC class options?????

Thanks in advance.
Ken
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.