Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Ok no CM15A's  (Read 55161 times)

cmtbiz

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Ok no CM15A's
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2012, 01:46:37 PM »

Today is 02/16/2012.. I feel that I just got kicked in the butt and found out that there are no more CM15A!!  B:(
What is this?  I got a CM15A on June 2011.. but it was not working.. Called for customer support and trying to get a replacement unit.. it took 6 months before I get to speak with some one... yes..a HUMAN from X10.

Anyway, I just mailed back the defective CM51A last 2 weeks and still waiting.  Then today I was curious enough to check back the X10 forums and found out about this CM15A was discontinued!! what the h*ll?!?!?!?  :o

I just remember the rep told me that they will send me a better unit which is the CM19A. At that time on the phone, I have no clue what a CM19A was. So I agreed to do so thinking that I am getting a far more better model.  But CM19A is the PC unit... I dont want that piece of crap!! I have two (2) of those at home now.  

What I needed is a unit that can store the Macro and without having to rely on a PC running 24/7. Geez...

Am I hearing thing right?  Pinch me and please wake me up!! Pleezzee  ???

After buying tons and spending thousands of $$ from X10 for the past 9 years... and I get this?  Is X10 home automation is a dying breed technology??

Dont we all expect to get better products available for us.. the X10 loyal customers?  >*<
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 01:52:43 PM by cmtbiz »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2012, 01:57:13 PM »

The CM15K replacement kit. Is a CM19A and TM751.
Some report they where told the CM15A was just out of stock and would be in eventually.
The out of stock LM15A Socket Rocket eventually did come back in stock. So I guess the final fate of a CM15A is not known yet.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »

Am I hearing thing right?  
After buying tons and spending thousands of $$ from X10 for the past 9 years... and I get this?  
Is X10 home automation is a dying breed technology??
Dont we all expect to get better products available for us.. the X10 loyal customers?  
Yes
Yes
Yes
Are you trying to be funny?

A side note. Coffee shot out my nose when I read that the X10 rep told you the CM19 "is a better product". Perhaps X10 thinks this to be true since they get fewer CM19A returns....However, I believe most folks just throw them away.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2012, 04:47:47 PM »

As of now.... I have not heard where X10 has said there will never be new CM15A's. I don't know how long it's been [at least 3 months] since X10 ran out of stock of the interface. But we do need a replacement soon. Many of us are having a hard time... keeping the faith.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2012, 07:58:24 PM »

As of now.... I have not heard where X10 has said there will never be new CM15A's. I don't know how long it's been [at least 3 months] since X10 ran out of stock of the interface. But we do need a replacement soon. Many of us are having a hard time... keeping the faith.
Yeah, I agree. X10 has never been very public. But if (starting last August) the product flow interuption was due to simply finding a new factory, I think the CM15A would have been one of the first products along with LMs and AMs they would be in a hurry to restart. Subbing a TM751 and CM19A and calling it a better product is pretty transparent. Even a first time buyer will see it inferior.
Oh well.

cmtbiz

« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2012, 03:46:12 PM »

Dave,

Being funny 'Yes'.. as we have to be a joker like how X10 company thinks we the customer are stupid.

When I bought that CM15A kit... its not cheap... if its only $20.. I would probably not cared (I am not saying twenty bucks is nothing). But I paid $50 and it worked only for a month and the unit died on me.

I used to own the CK11A.. thats the old Computer Interface unit... I had it for years and crapped me out. And I moved onto the CM15A.

To tell you honestly.. I am happy when I got the CM15A kit with the ActiveHome Pro software package when it first came out.  Then stopped working last year.. So thats why I purchased the second one.. and went dead even shorter period (just a little over 1 month).

Am I hearing thing right?  
After buying tons and spending thousands of $$ from X10 for the past 9 years... and I get this?  
Is X10 home automation is a dying breed technology??
Dont we all expect to get better products available for us.. the X10 loyal customers?  
Yes
Yes
Yes
Are you trying to be funny?

A side note. Coffee shot out my nose when I read that the X10 rep told you the CM19 "is a better product". Perhaps X10 thinks this to be true since they get fewer CM19A returns....However, I believe most folks just throw them away.

cmtbiz

« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2012, 03:53:49 PM »

Right now. I am using the basic X10 Timer Unit to control my lighting's at home..  This is so lame... I came from having the most sophisticated home automation and down to this basic function.my goodness.  :P

cmtbiz

« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2012, 04:02:10 PM »

I think for now.. I am going back to the original module called CM11A.. that lasted many years..

I found this RCA that works like the CM15A..

http://www.thehomeautomationstore.com/cm11a.html

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2012, 06:29:24 PM »

http://www.thex10shop.com/product/x10-genuine-cm11a-activehome-serial-computer-interface
$29.99 for a CM11A.
Later versions of AHP also will work with a CM11A.
So if you have AHP from your CM15A. It should also work with the CM11A or the original Active Home program originally shipped with it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 06:38:34 PM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2012, 08:41:52 PM »

Dave,

Being funny 'Yes'.. as we have to be a joker like how X10 company thinks we the customer are stupid.

yes cmtbiz, I know you were being funny. So was I. I agree with you 100%. The first year of the CM15A, it smacked of poor software and even poorer hardware design. But they managed to clean up both. So for a good period of time the CM15A and AHP was a very respectable product for 50 bucks. I hope it comes back. But for what it's worth, there are far better software and hardware products available for an X10 automated home, but unfortunately at correspondingly higher prices.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2012, 12:57:37 AM »

......... there are far better software and hardware products available for an X10 automated home, but unfortunately at correspondingly higher prices.

Yep. And things have changed. China is overwhelmed with a need for skilled electronic assemblers. These niche products are harder to have made. Plus... I think there has been a change in Home Automation. People love Siri... but turning on a light with a remote control... not such a big deal.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2012, 09:36:16 AM »

There are a number of apps like Siri some will even work with your HA system however none have got the publicity that Siri has.
I pitted  Lingo (free droid app) against my daughters apple with Siri and they performed about the same.
I think it is just a mater of time before a Siri or Lingo type app adds HA to what they can do.
In the mean time Parttime developers like myself will have to fill the void. rofl
There are a few voice apps for HA some like TAC that will do a few other functions.
However the extra functions are usualy limited. :(
If X10 doesn't soon come out with new Cm15a stock or a suitable replacement (something with the same or greater functions)
they'll lose a huge market.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2012, 10:34:10 AM »

@Tuicemen

I played with speech recognition 12 or more years ago and there were a few pioneers using it to control HA (including one quadriplegic engineer I e-corresponded with) but the speech engines were crude, needed PCs, good mics with parabolic reflectors and would only recognize precise phrases spoken in the same manner and by the same speaker. Using it for HA was only practical for those with special needs, idactic memory or willing to tattoo a list of commands on their forearms. I assume recognition rates are much better these days.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2012, 11:18:41 AM »

@Tuicemen

I played with speech recognition 12 or more years ago and there were a few pioneers using it to control HA (including one quadriplegic engineer I e-corresponded with) but the speech engines were crude, needed PCs, good mics with parabolic reflectors and would only recognize precise phrases spoken in the same manner and by the same speaker. Using it for HA was only practical for those with special needs, idactic memory or willing to tattoo a list of commands on their forearms. I assume recognition rates are much better these days.
In 1986 I had a Commodore 64 tied to the original CP290 with crude voice recognition software based on recorded templates in the owner(s) voice. Hence it would work for no one but my wife and I, and even then, only when it felt like it. Supposedly it's recognition phrase was "James". But even the noise from a vacuum cleaner would trigger a "This is James, what is your command?" from the Commodore. James lasted less than three weeks.

Now I use Homeseer which uses the Microsoft speech engine. But honestly, it isn't much better than "James".  IMHO speech recognition for home control isn't quite ready for prime time. Perhaps gated mikes in every room would improve the performance, but that is too much work for "the old geezer".  :D

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2012, 05:37:05 PM »

Agreed Voice recognition isn't perfect.
But I actualy find the voice recognition on the apples and droids to be better or close to windows 7.
Still if the droid doesn't recognize my first command I don't waste time repeating.
I just click the button for the command.
 ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.