Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Ok no CM15A's  (Read 55116 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Ok no CM15A's
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2012, 01:39:34 AM »

.... Still if the droid doesn't recognize my first command I don't waste time repeating.
I just click the button for the command.

I think the best part of voice control has always been hearing the computer... not talking to the computer. And I really think that is still where the Siri type apps can excel. Of course... I am talking cloud computing with automation.

I am sure there will still be plenty of people who really just want to push a button and turn a light on or off from accross the room. Or have some old-school type timer do the same for them. But without an interface... even with the old CM15A... X10 automation is limited.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2012, 05:12:03 AM »

I think the best part of voice control has always been hearing the computer...
TTS has always been good. Back in Windows 3.1 days, SoundBlaster included a very good TTS engine with its 16-bit soundcards. It had one very good female voice and I used it (and another commercial TTS engine that had 2-3 good male voices) in an application I wrote to allow people who had lost the ability to speak to use a laptop or desktop to communicate, even using the phone via a speakerphone modem. It cost about 1/10 as much, even with the cost of a used laptop, (and performed better)  than the specialized hardware that was available. There were a lot of ALS victims who used it.  Needing a way to give some of the more severely disabled control of their environment is what introduced me to X10.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2012, 06:25:46 AM »

Has anyone here looked at what SmartHome has to offer lately?
I have a friend who bought the SmartLinc a few years ago, and said it was a little lacking.
I'm wondering if they have improved it at all, of it anyone here has any experience with the ISY-99 they sell?

If X10 really isn't going to have more CM15A's any time soon, SmartHome has a real opportunity to fill that hole if they want to.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2012, 09:00:49 AM »

I think the best part of voice control has always been hearing the computer... not talking to the computer. And I really think that is still where the Siri type apps can excel. Of course... I am talking cloud computing with automation.
TTs isn't part of voice control, however I agree hearing voice confirmation that a command was carried out sure beats a text box stating the info.
I looked into smarthome for what they had for interfaces and what they offered for a way to program for it.
They price there developement package out of the reach for most parttime programers.
I've also looked at Zwave however that seems to be in limbo right now.
I may move to add that to some of my apps as the price has come down to enable some experiments.
Still I don't wish to abandon X10, it is just a shame X10 is pushing inferior hardware to newbies stating it is the same as or better then the CM15A. :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2012, 09:33:29 AM »

I have an ISY-99i and it can do some X10 signaling as shipped.
If you purchase their A10/X10 addon firmware module. It can do more things.
http://www.universal-devices.com/mwiki/index.php?title=ISY-99i_Series_INSTEON:Enhanced_A10/X10

I am almost 100% Insteon and rarely use the A10/X10 module. Though my Insteon devices have an X10 address added to them. There is no nice 16 address Insteon remote like a HR12A Palm Pad.  ;D

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2012, 11:38:48 AM »

Well, there are always opportunities for "small time" developers to put out a hardware solution.
Jeff Volp already has XTB-232, designed as a replacement for the "live" functionality of the CM11A.
Dave Houston is working on the Zarduino and the RR5x5. Both look like the have some real potential, but will require some technical skills to set them up and get them working. Not ideal for a novice without the technical skills.
What I'd like to see is some sort of "plug and play" solution that would be a true replacement for the CM15A (along with appropriate companion software).
The CM11A was great with it's built-in memory and standalone functionality. The CM15A expanded on that with more memory, more functionality, RF capabilities, and a more common USB connection.
The next logical step is an Ethernet-connected (or WiFi) unit, that combines the existing functionality of the CM15A/AHP without the need for a dedicated PC. Since most of the AHP plugin functions require a live data connection, and/or have the ability to run a Windows command, then perhaps one of the "one board" computers could be integrated into the design as a controller. I don't know how many people use the Windows command functions, but perhaps that could be replicated using a program on the PC that would listen for "control" commands coming over the network from the controller.

Unfortunately, I really have no idea where to begin on a project like this, or how much it would cost to make something like this reliably, and mostly idiot-proof.

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2012, 12:09:48 PM »

Has anyone here looked at what SmartHome has to offer lately?
I have a friend who bought the SmartLinc a few years ago, and said it was a little lacking.

Very recently I bought the Smarthome Houselinc package on sale at just $100 (down from $160), plus a couple of lamp modules, motion detectors and wall switches. Mrs Beelocks likes the feel of the wall switches as they have a definite on and off function to them as opposed to the push push feel of the X10 units.

It's a software based package that runs on my primary PC (I'll move it to a spare laptop when I finish playing).
I use my CM15A as a whole house code transceiver, the Houselinc modem picks up the powerline X10 signals and will work with them very cleanly and quickly.
The conditionals for the 'events' are pretty basic as there is no 'OR' function that I've been able to find.

I'm currently using a couple of Insteon modules and running it alongside my X10 setup that uses motion sensors, palmpads, and the usual appliance and lamp modules, plus a handful of WS12A's. I ditched a couple of DS10A units, but they might get put back in when I get the laptop running so that I can use the security signals.
I have MS16A motion sensors triggering Insteon modules with no problem at all, but obviously that will all change when my CM15A dies.

The main downside is that this version is PC based - I may add in the Smartlinc module which I believe can store some basic timers.  The graphical interface for the software is clean, but the layout is not intuitive. The simple front end screen that I'm used to with the AHP software is sadly lacking :(

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of detailed information on what the Insteon packages can and cannot do, but that's no more frustrating than trying to deal with X10 - I guess my knowledge of the abilities with come with experience.

The Smarthome forum layout is difficult to use, unless I'm doing something wrong there :'

If anyone needs more, just let me know and I'll try to help :)
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2012, 01:11:26 PM »

Both look like the have some real potential, but will require some technical skills to set them up and get them working. Not ideal for a novice without the technical skills.

Actually, the XTB-232 is a simple plug-in substitute for the CM11A that works with ActiveHome Pro running on the PC (just like the CM15K).  And it also works with other PC-based automation software too, such as HomeSeer, Home Control Assistant, and HeyU.  It is just identified as the CM11A in the setup.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2012, 02:08:08 PM »

However, the XTB32 will not handle timers like the CM11A (and the CM15A), so it's not a good substitute.

I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2012, 03:39:38 PM »

However, the XTB32 will not handle timers like the CM11A (and the CM15A), so it's not a good substitute.

I never suggested the XTB-232 as a substitute for the CM15A (which is not available anymore).  It IS a viable substitute for the CM15K, which requires ActiveHome Pro running on the PC to do all the control.

The XTB-232 was targeted to those who run higher end PC-based automation programs that just use the CM11A, CM15A, or a PowerLinc as a powerline interface.  It is not prone to the lockup problems that plague the "real" CM11A.

My earler post was in response to the comment that it was not for a novice without the technical skills.  All it takes is to plug it in and identify it as the CM11A in the PC-based automation software.  I think most people can handle that.

Jeff
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 03:44:21 PM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

bbx10node

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2012, 03:04:51 PM »

The next logical step is an Ethernet-connected (or WiFi) unit, that combines the existing functionality of the CM15A/AHP without the need for a dedicated PC.

There are a couple of ARM Linux systems that could be used as the foundation for the next step. The RPi is $35, the beaglebone is $89. Both have Ethernet. The RPi has HDMI video output. Plug computers have been around for years though most are over $100.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs
http://www.beagleboard.org/bone

mochad + CM15A + beaglebone + my own simple Perl programs works for me. Another option is CM11A (or clone) + USB serial + Heyu or MisterHouse. However, I have never used Heyu or MH and both look complex to setup. A Linux webapp similar to AHP would be ideal but writing one is a major project.

cmtbiz

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2012, 01:59:17 PM »

hey folks listen to this... every time I tried to connect with X10 company.. it just give me a mind boggling dilemma...  :o

Its been 3 weeks now since I shipped the defective CM15A back to X10 in New Jersey Office which where I reside now.. in NJ...
I have no clue or whatsoever if they receive the package although the USPS Confirmation said it was delivered.  I got no confirmation on their part so I wanted to know when should I get the replacement even with the garbage CM19A.

I have waited..waited and waited... like a young kid waiting for his birthday presents.

I tried like the usual many time to reach X10 by email... yup.. no response..  ???
So I got tired of this waiting game and I contacted via CHAT.. someone responded!!  -:)

Then I asked about my RMA... then the guy told me that it will take 3 MONTHS to process the return.  B:(  
You read it correctly.. I repeat.. I was told 3 MONTHS of processing time.

I never remembered that it should take that long before?  Did anyone know that X10 had changed their RETURN POLICIES? What gives? 3 Months!!?!?!?

I have ordered a AIRSIGHT Outdoor Camera (an IP camera) which I realized that I can't incorporate with my current Security DVR system. I am wanting to return this but would I have to wait for 3 MONTHS before they do the Credit Card refund??

OMG!!   :o

B.A.

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2012, 02:23:12 PM »

Stories like this are the reason I will never order from X10 again.
There's a new one every day

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »

Lets hope they have a new supply of CM15As by then ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2012, 04:22:39 PM »

Hey! "X10 Repair Depot"!

Do you have any encouragement for cmtbiz?

One fourth of a year to process a RMA seems just a tiny bit on the long side.   :'   Can that be right?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.