Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PowerFlash PF284 and Powerline Interface PSC04, can they work together?  (Read 5006 times)

OOO

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I've a security system that can talk to the x10 powerline interface (rj11 is the output of the system and input of the PSC04), and I'd like x10 connected lights to flash when the alarm is triggered. It looks like I need a powerflash module for this to work, but can the PSC04 really trigger the PF284?

Thanks for your help!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: PowerFlash PF284 and Powerline Interface PSC04, can they work together?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 11:41:40 AM »

If your security system can send X10 power line commands through the PSC04. You should be able to control X10 plug in modules and wall switches. No PF284 needed.

Now if the console dose not send On and Off cycles to flash the lights. They will just stay On until they are turned Off.

No the PSC04 can not talk to the PF284 as it is a sender only and has no receiver in it.
If you console does not send On and Off signals through the PSC04 when triggered. If it has a DC voltage or dry contact relay. You could use those signals to have a PF284 send the cycling On Off Commands.

OOO

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 01:48:01 PM »

Thanks for the confirmation Brian, much appreciated. The security system is the Visonic Powermax+ (http://download.homesecuritystore.com/downloadmanual.aspx?FileName=POWERMAXPLUS_Install.pdf) and my understanding now is that I wouldn't even need now a powerline module to get flashing bulbs: I connect the powerflash to the PGM output of the alarm.

Now, I hadn't paid attention in the documentation to the PGM part, because I was stuck on the X-10 part, and thought the alarm system could only send ON or OFF commands, but I read now that "For the PGM output, you can select disable, turn on, turn off or pulse active (turn on for predefined period, selected by PULSE TIME)", which would then mean I still don't need the powerflash module... Furthermore "For X-10 devices, you can select the following actions: FLASH ON ALARM (you can select no flash or all light flash, to control X-10 lighting devices in alarm conditions)". In fact, I think I've my answer now (I only need a PSC04 module, or maybe even better a PSC05), unless you can chime in more. Apologies for the trouble (I'm planning this upgrade with the little documentation I have, I'm a complete noob when it comes to X-10, and don't want to purchase modules will be useless, just because I was confused or clueless).

Thanks!

BTW, about Newt's post on that alarm system (http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=20406.0), the documentation mentions for the RJ11 that "IMPORTANT! OFF-THESHELF CABLES ARE UNSUITABLE HERE. PREPARE YOUR OWN “ONE TO ONE” CABLE.", but it's in the fine print of course... B:(. I'll add that info that thread.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 03:34:07 PM »

If the Powermax+ can send a flashing All Lights On and All Units Off {the rarely used All Lights Off may also work}. Any Lamp style module or 
dimmer wall switch would flash On and Off with an alarm.
Appliance Modules and some of the relay style wall switches would turn Off from the All Units Off but not turn back On again with a All Lights On.
I would say a PF284 would not be needed.
The PSC05 is two way so it can also see if there are power line commands from other units on the power line. Though I don't know if it can be polite and wait for a clear power line.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 04:39:05 PM »

The PSC05 is two way so it can also see if there are power line commands from other units on the power line. Though I don't know if it can be polite and wait for a clear power line.
No - the first polite transmitters were the RR501 and CM11A. The PSC05 is the same as the TW523 (and XM10/XM10E) and has no built-in smarts - it depends on a computer or embedded controller for its input and its output is delayed for 22 half-cycles so any controller only learns about collisions when it's too late to avoid them. Nor will it report invalid signals that result from collisions.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 04:41:58 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 04:45:25 PM »

Dave I didn't say the PSC05 was polite.
I said there was a chance if it was sending received data to the Powermax+ the Powermax+ may wait.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 05:11:52 PM »

I must have misunderstood the sentences I quoted.

Never-the-less, there's no possibility of politeness. The TW523/PSC05/XM10 all delay reporting powerline traffic until 22 half-cycles have been received and validated. Any controller attached to it sees the report far to late to do anything about it. Listening before sendingf as some controllers advertised is silly as there's no way to know what's on the powerline at this instance with any of these two-way interfaces. And if there has been a collision resulting in an corrupted command, that is never reported unless it happens to create another apparently valid X10 command.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 05:41:11 PM »

Thanks for the clarifications.

OOO

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 07:40:34 PM »

Thanks all for the help, i'll proceed with a PSC04 and a lamp module for a start/test.

Looking for some of the powermax+ posts, someone mentioned YouTube videos that weren't to be found anymore, but i think they are here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pDErBAdR3XQ.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.