Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: The Future of X10  (Read 136388 times)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: The Future of X10
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2012, 12:14:12 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, X10's biggest problem with the CM15A (and probably with its successor) is their absolutely atrocious software (their entire approach is idiotic) and failure to publish the communications protocol.

But, with no more RR501, no more TW523/PSC05 they have pretty well destroyed their market and I doubt a new model of the CM15A will make any difference.

My views are colored by the fact that I had an FCC radiotelephone license in 1962 and many years later managed a multimillion dollar international operation (although we made/sold capital equipment, not inexpensive mass market consumer items).
Good points all.

2nd class with 28 yrs at mother Motorola who has succeeded in shooting themselves in the foot almost as well as X10....sigh.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2012, 02:33:38 PM »

The new CM15A is still in development and it is scheduled to be released around December. There are still issues, primarily regarding cost, that we are working through.

Even a problematic CM15A type device would be a welcome access.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2012, 02:37:09 PM »

But, with no more RR501, no more TW523/PSC05 they have pretty well destroyed their market and I doubt a new model of the CM15A will make any difference.

As you know, there is an alternative RF transceiver available that has significantly better performance than the RR501.

The XTB-IIR has supported the TW523/PSC05 protocol from the beginning, and I recently introduced the XTB-523 as a high-power plug-in alternative to the TW523/PSC05 that also includes a repeater capability.  So the market is still being supported.

One device that seems to be a problem now is the Universal Module.  The supply has dried up, and there does not appear to be a viable alternative.  I hope that is one that X10 will begin manufacturing again.

Jeff
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 02:40:04 PM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2012, 05:22:33 PM »

Even a problematic CM15A type device would be a welcome access.
If my health were not so bad (7 hospitalizations and counting in the past 3 months) I would release an equivalent device using the same approach as Jeff Volp, requiring a user-waiver for the lack of UL. There's no similar FCC user-waiver possible for an RF transmitter but it could incorporate a wideband superheterodyne (ceramic resonator controlled) receiver that would qualify for self testing (and pass FCC requirements if needed).
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2012, 05:37:56 PM »

I understand what you are saying but it does not hold up well.....
IF the poor receive problems were all caused by excessively tight receiver band pass in conjunction with transmitter slot, a better antenna would not have produced the  performance increase evidenced even by users who wrapped a ball of aluminumi foil around the CM15 antenna......
Actually I think we are saying the same thing.

I agree we all are saying the same basic thing, but please know (as I am sure you do) that this statement is extreme and not so true.....

You know that more rf sig will make the 3db point of the selectivity look wider, so a better antenna of course does improve the poor too tight selectivity tuning of the original receiver.

Since both Dave's are backing their comments with commercial radio licenses, guess I should too :)  my 1rst class license is still proudly on my office wall - used to pay my way thru college from 1971 on repairing motorola HT220's for City of Dayton repairs :)  I turned down Motorola job offer in 1975 to work on the new fangled "cell" phone project.  but more to the point, extra class ham from 1965.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 05:39:45 PM by mike »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2012, 06:21:27 PM »

I thought the 1st class Commercial Radiotelephone License was done away with many years ago.
Last time I renewed mine it was changed to a General Radiotelephone and good for life. No more five year renewals.

mike

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2012, 06:40:05 PM »

it was of course, but that doesn't stop those of us who passed the 1rst & 2nd class tests from pounding our chests yet today :)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2012, 07:03:23 PM »

I still have my First Class with Ship Radar Endorsement safely packed away.

the other steve

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2012, 07:06:32 PM »

But of course!  Mine would be 50 years old if they were still around.

My first transmitter was 1,552,000 watts ERP at 669.24 MHz.

-:)

mike

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2012, 07:42:21 PM »

dang!  got me beat!  my first transmitter was 75 watts on 40 meters with a crystal controlled Eico 720 CW transmitter :)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2012, 08:07:11 PM »

I thought the 1st class Commercial Radiotelephone License was done away with many years ago.
Last time I renewed mine it was changed to a General Radiotelephone and good for life. No more five year renewals.

I never used nor renewed mine.  I just wanted to see if I learned anything in my Air Force electronics school. I was in airborne radar on the long defunct F101 (had the highest grade in the history of the school - since mine was the last such class, a record that will stand forever).  :' Those who went through the communications school received a ticket automatically.

And I only dredge it up now and then to buttress an argument by establishing that once upon a time, long away and far ago, I knew a little bit about the topic. ;)
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2012, 09:32:14 PM »

dang!  got me beat!  my first transmitter was 75 watts on 40 meters with a crystal controlled Eico 720 CW transmitter :)

About the same for me back in the 60's with a Knight Kit.  Then built my own 120W 2-meter rig.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

pomonabill221

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2012, 12:10:48 AM »

WOW, all this brings back memories!!!
Eico
Heathkit
Knight Kit
even radio shack had kits!
  I built a few of all of them..... whatever happened to the kit builder?????
Even the speaker kits that had high end drivers in them!
Really a lost art!  I miss them!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2012, 05:28:56 PM »

used to pay my way thru college from 1971 on repairing motorola HT220's for City of Dayton repairs :)  
Yeah Mike I know a stronger signal will bring in more signals in the filters roll off. BTWthe first Motorola product I taught in the old Motorola National Service organization was the HT220. wow what memories.

Anywho the point I was trying to make was born in this statement from X10 Repair Depot:
" The new CM15A is still in development and it is scheduled to be released around December. There are still issues, primarily regarding cost, that we are working through. "

I believe X10's constant cost cutting has done them harm in the past, and the Depots statement make me think they have not learned that. A new automation controller with solid software could provide a major boost to the company and start Lamp and Appliance modules selling in large numbers as they once did. But if they "cost reduce" it to the point of compromising stability as they have done in the past...well, they will be history as far as home automation. I hope they can make it selling third party tablets and IP cameras.
$0.02
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2012, 07:22:51 PM »

Anywho the point I was trying to make was born in this statement from X10 Repair Depot:
" The new CM15A is still in development and it is scheduled to be released around December. There are still issues, primarily regarding cost, that we are working through. "

I believe X10's constant cost cutting has done them harm in the past, and the Depots statement make me think they have not learned that. A new automation controller with solid software could provide a major boost to the company and start Lamp and Appliance modules selling in large numbers as they once did. But if they "cost reduce" it to the point of compromising stability as they have done in the past...well, they will be history as far as home automation. I hope they can make it selling third party tablets and IP cameras.
$0.02
When you put it that way, I couldn't agree more - it was just the application of that sentiment to the original CM15A that I disageed with
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.