Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: The Future of X10  (Read 136370 times)

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: The Future of X10
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2012, 09:36:59 AM »

I decided to split off my Arduino sub-thread.
Here is the new thread: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=27283.0

cmtbiz

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2012, 11:54:25 AM »

If China doesn't want it, take it elsewhere... Vietnam, Taiwan, Philippines, India etc...
Why would they let those big two headed monster dictate as to what should be produced?

just because a factory closes that does not normally mean that tooling mysteriously disappears; if the tooling is AWOL then something much more sinister is going on.
Yeah, but we are talking China here. They play by different rules. If the government says "close the factory", they shut the doors and walk away. It has happened before. We only know what we are being spoon fed through filters, but I agree the whole picture does not bode well for the X10 revitalization that we are hoping for.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2012, 12:10:52 PM »

If China doesn't want it, take it elsewhere... Vietnam, Taiwan, Philippines, India etc...
Why would they let those big two headed monster dictate as to what should be produced?
X10 has been in China since early 1980's (when they left Taiwan) ...essentially they went to China before everyone else. That advantage will be hard to give up. Besides everywhere else you mentioned is more expensive.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2012, 11:23:19 PM »

Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2012, 07:24:38 AM »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2012, 07:37:42 AM »

severe sticker shock

And that's before adding the WiFi booster you'll likely need.

Also, it's WiFi only with no PLC, it requires a PC and/or pricey Apple iWhatever mobile device, and is ON/OFF only with no dimmer.

Now, were someone to combine WiFi and HomePlug's Command/Control PLC with dimmers and appliance modules, it might be worth some sticker shock.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

« Reply #111 on: August 31, 2012, 10:47:22 PM »

And that's before adding the WiFi booster you'll likely need.

Also, it's WiFi only with no PLC, it requires a PC and/or pricey Apple iWhatever mobile device, and is ON/OFF only with no dimmer.

Now, were someone to combine WiFi and HomePlug's Command/Control PLC with dimmers and appliance modules, it might be worth some sticker shock.

Dimmers were a great feature in the 50's when many homes were converted to electric for gas lighting... and often only had one light hanging in the center of the room. And I even like the dim/bright feature in my Home Theater to bring up a few indirect lights after the end of a movie. But mostly... I don't use the dim feature anyway. And now with LED and CFL lights... a few lower light level lights generally replace the one big 150 watt bulb the old rheostats controlled.

I have computers.... I also have laptops but I call the laptops computers too. I have an Android tablet and my wife has and ipad.... and I'll be darned... but I think they are a lot like a computer as well. Actually... smartphones are even computers. And there isn't any reason why a smartphone can't control your home. Even if your phone in your shirt pocket while you drive a rental car in another state.

All we need is the right hardware and software..... and it sure looks like it is all coming together. Although I have always been disappointed with the slowness in which the future gets here.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 10:49:16 PM by HA Dave »

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2012, 10:51:52 AM »

I looked at the WeMo a couple of weeks ago and I think it's a great idea with a few minor wrinkles that need ironing out.

a) The ground prong is on the 'wrong' side - I could flip over every outlet and confuse the wife and everyone else, or install the plug-in modules upside-down.

2) Ipod only? Why not have the thing talk to android, PC and anything else that can talk to your network?

iii) variety - it looks like a choice of appliance module or appliance module plus plug-in motion sensor - They call it a 'family' of products, but it appears to be a single parent & only child family, with a distant cousin for the controller.

It's not all negative. WiFi integration is the way of to go. The web integration with the ability to use bits of the internet as triggers looks great without all the fiddling about with additional software. The design of the modules is modern when compared to clunky X10 and the smoother Insteon. Handles up to 1800 watts.

It's a mighty fine idea, but it needs polishing (or at least android or PC control) before I spend any money on trying it. I'd like to see a real MeMo integration device that could send/receive X10/Insteon commands; I'd buy one of those this afternoon and hide the credit card bill from the wife :)
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2012, 11:06:20 AM »

I'd like to see a real MeMo integration device that could send/receive X10/Insteon commands; I'd buy one of those this afternoon and hide the credit card bill from the wife :)
If Belkin publishes the communications protocol (unlikely if Apple is involved), it would be simple to create an Android app as well as integrate it with the hardware I'm working on.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2012, 02:38:57 PM »

My $0.02

Belkin is testing the water.
Belkin will find the water very cold.
Belkin will forget about home control, as quickly as Microsoft has.

HA Dave

« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2012, 07:17:35 PM »

You guys are right. I saw it and got excited... but Belkin has a ways to go yet. Thanks for taking the time to look it over and respond.

jerryjam

« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2012, 05:59:24 AM »

:)%  I have been looking for a better mouse trap to replace my CM15A.  Has the new replacement for the CM15A arrived?  I know that I certainly would pay a higher price for improved (much) version.  I have had over 35 years experience repairing electronics.  So I thinking about the possibility of my attempting to repair my 2nd replaced CM15A (that is currently intermittent).  May even attempt to modify it to improve RF output.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #117 on: December 01, 2012, 06:08:41 AM »

Yes a Extremely Limited Run of CM15As are on the sales web page.

http://www.x10.com/promotions/cm15a_complete_new_2012.html?EM
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 06:10:48 AM by Brian H »

stoney

« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2012, 03:09:27 PM »

Yep...new coat of paint on an old car will make er sell! :'

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #119 on: March 28, 2013, 05:56:03 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.