Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "X10 is going out of business" (source "Make:" magazine Issue 30)  (Read 29233 times)

Xytsrm

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

To All:

According to the most recent issue of "Make:" magazine, issue 30 (Display Until July 24, 2012), article "Home Automation", by Bob Parks, page 40:

Page 43; "Also note that inventor X10, Inc. is going out of business, resulting in dirt cheap X10 gadgets coming to market as hacker fodder."

As this article is focusing on "Home Automation", perhaps they mean that X10 is going out of the home automation business only.  X10 seems to be refocusing on home security and security cameras.

X. :'(

mcampbell

Re: "X10 is going out of business" (source "Make:" magazine Issue 30)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 09:42:57 AM »

I can't imagine it had anything to do with the vomit-inducing web site and advertising policies they've had over the years.    ::)

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 11:11:00 AM »

Old news. That is the factory closing, not X10 in the US.

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=26297.0

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 11:30:35 AM »

I can't imagine it had anything to do with the vomit-inducing web site........

Man, you are out of touch! X10's Web Site hasn't induced vomit for months and months. Actually the "vomit-inducing" format was changed to an "uneasy stomach feeling" format some YEARS ago. Although X10 like many other companys have had their troubles... the X10 Web Site is top notch now-a-days.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Xytsrm

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 01:50:05 PM »

Two facts support the contention that "X10 is going out of business"; at least in home automation:

1.  They have discontinued the flagship controller, the CM15A, and replaced it with an inferior combination of products, deceptively referred to as the CM15K, that have no memory, no battery backup, requires the PC to be on 24/7, and can not receive powerline signals.

2.  Their automated phone service for technical support no longer mentions "Home Automation" products as an option, the caller must press '4', for "all other questions".

I guess they know when they've been beaten by competing, new technology.

It's a pity, but they've had a good 40 year run.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 01:58:25 PM by Xytsrm »

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 02:29:18 PM »

For now, the CM15A is not available. Other than that item, we have most of the essential HA items back in stock.
Once again, I indicate here what is going on here:

Xytsrm

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 04:15:19 PM »

For now, the CM15A is not available. Other than that item, we have most of the essential HA items back in stock.
Once again, I indicate here what is going on here:

If everything is as you say, the first thing I would do is contact "Make:" magazine and request that a correction/clarification be printed.
http://makezine.com/contact.csp [all the specifics are in my initial post]

The second thing I would do is advise your sales staff to more fully inform buyers of the true makeup of the CM15K and ALL it's limitations, as well as inform them that the CM15K is a temporary solution, that an improved unit with all the features of the CM15A will be forthcoming by the end of 2012, if they are able to wait.

Seems to me like I heard sometime about the downside of "putting all your eggs in one basket".

:'
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 04:53:41 PM by Xytsrm »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 09:02:42 PM »

...... I would do is advise your sales staff to more fully inform buyers of the true makeup of the CM15K and ALL it's limitations, as well as inform them that the CM15K is a temporary solution

The weight of that chip on your shoulder has you walking in circles doesn't it.

You're correct that the CM15K solution... isn't ideal. At best the CM15K is a workaround. I am glad I have a real CM15A and I hope it isn't too long before some sort of suitable replacement is available. But it does look like the manufacturing shortage presents an opportunity for X10 with a new interface. We could have something much better than the CM15A when it's all done. One step back... two steps forward. Hang in there dude.... were all in this together. Maybe with a little luck we'll all be better off in the end.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Xytsrm

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 10:23:05 AM »

The weight of that chip on your shoulder has you walking in circles doesn't it.

HA Dave, How about doing that trick again, the one where you open your mouth and your head disappears!

Sorry, must be that alleged chip on my shoulder.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:05:29 AM by Xytsrm »

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 06:53:28 PM »

The second thing I would do is advise your sales staff to more fully inform buyers of the true makeup of the CM15K and ALL it's limitations, as well as inform them that the CM15K is a temporary solution, that an improved unit with all the features of the CM15A will be forthcoming by the end of 2012, if they are able to wait.

ALL the limitations of a CM15K? Surely ye jest.

1. It does not work with Keurig coffee things - in fact it doesn't make coffee at all.
2. It's not waterproof.
3. The solder holding the components together is known, in the state of California, to cause cancer.
4. May be harmful if swallowed.
5. Do not attempt to use as a suppository.
6. It's a temporary solution as we may (or may not) have a new improved version in the making that may (or may not) come out later this year.
7. Please do not read #6 and assume that a new version will ever be available because you will complain in December that you were faithfully promised this.

I decided not to buy {insert product of your choice here} because the manufacturer's website could not tell me what the product would NOT do. They refused to discuss limitations with me. Even though I asked, they refused to tell me when the next generation product was going to be released.

How much of anything would have been sold ever if sales teams were absolutely honest about anything. I fully realise that sliced bread is the best thing since unsliced bread, but how do I know that they don't have a new and improved version coming out soon.

You may, of course, take this with the intended humour. However, I think it relates very much to what Xytsrm is saying
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 07:27:30 PM »

1. It does not work with Keurig coffee things - in fact it doesn't make coffee at all.

Oh, so now you tell me.  How am I going to clear buying one with my wife now?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 07:53:28 PM »

3. The solder holding the components together is known, in the state of California, to cause cancer.
I decided not to buy {insert product of your choice here} because the manufacturer's website could not tell me what the product would NOT do. They refused to discuss limitations with me. Even though I asked, they refused to tell me when the next generation product was going to be released.

You may, of course, take this with the intended humour. However, I think it relates very much to what Xytsrm is saying
rofl

Toilet paper is thought to cause cancer (and IMO mental retardation) in California.

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 08:57:38 PM »

rofl

Toilet paper is thought to cause cancer (and IMO mental retardation) in California.

Can we have "proff" (a New York term for proof) on Toilet paper is thought to cause cancer (and IMO mental retardation) in California. I don't believe it.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 09:17:41 PM »

Can we have "proff" (a New York term for proof) on Toilet paper is thought to cause cancer (and IMO mental retardation) in California. I don't believe it.

Proof of thought is advanced philosophy. Do you think X10 are considering a CM15Neitsche?  -:)
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 07:13:48 AM »

The assertion is based on number of tin foil hats wearer's vs "normal" population in the blue State.   :'
"This aftershave makes me look fat"
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.