Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need a new floodlight  (Read 8286 times)

johnsti

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Need a new floodlight
« on: January 10, 2015, 12:40:25 PM »

Since the x10 floodlight is no longer available is there a transceiver that can be used to retrofit a motion sensor floodlight?

joe s.

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Re: Need a new floodlight
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 01:35:25 PM »

Something like this might fit inside the fixture/electrical box - depending on it's size:

http://www.authinx.com/manuals/X10/XPFM.pdf

johnsti

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 01:40:51 PM »

It doesn't appear to be 2 way. I need a to transmit x10 commands as well when motion is detected.

joe s.

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 03:34:47 PM »

I misunderstood your requirement.  Afraid I don't know of anything obvious - I use motion sensors & software to control mine.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 03:41:40 PM by joe s. »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 04:04:49 PM »

You are trying to replace the functions of this X10 Dual Floodlight?
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Dual_Floodlight_Motion_Detector

johnsti

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 04:09:54 PM »

That is correct. To be able to trigger a macro and respond.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 04:33:55 PM »

Thank you for the information.
I will see if I can find something.
On and Off like a relay type or do you prefer a dimmer?

johnsti

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 05:18:01 PM »

No need for a dimmer and now I run 2 led floods it only needs to handle 50 watts

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 09:15:02 AM »

We use to recommend an Insteon MicroModule or DIN Rail Module. As both have a 120 volt AC sensing input and could have an X10 Primary Address added to them.

I don't think they maybe suitable anymore. Nothing official from Smarthome or Smartlabs. X10 signaling no longer appears on the sales pages and unofficial information from anonymous sources. Say X10 is phased out of the latest revisions.

I am still going to be looking for other solutions and there are other smart X10 users that may also have a solution.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 10:30:04 PM »

It's a bit ugly since it requires several components, but I was using a standard motion sensor that did not have a relay output with a relay and a power flash.  If you found one with relay output, you could simplify.

The configuration would be a standard light fixture controlled by a motion sensor.  The same output from the motion sensor could be hooked up to a 120VAC relay to control a contact closure on the PF which could then trigger your other lights.  The big downside of this is packaging in that you don't end up with a nice compact outdoor compatible installation.  On the up side, you have a much greater selection of motion sensors and can pick one that meets your needs.  I can't find the one I am using (Heath's site is terrible for finding exact product).  I bought a replacement sensor at Home Depot for ~$20.  It was a 240 or 270 degree unit with "Creep Zone" and Boost.  Basically, that just gives a down facing sensor and picks up motion out to 100'.

johnsti

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 07:52:29 AM »

It's a bit ugly since it requires several components, but I was using a standard motion sensor that did not have a relay output with a relay and a power flash.  If you found one with relay output, you could simplify.

The configuration would be a standard light fixture controlled by a motion sensor.  The same output from the motion sensor could be hooked up to a 120VAC relay to control a contact closure on the PF which could then trigger your other lights.  The big downside of this is packaging in that you don't end up with a nice compact outdoor compatible installation.  On the up side, you have a much greater selection of motion sensors and can pick one that meets your needs.  I can't find the one I am using (Heath's site is terrible for finding exact product).  I bought a replacement sensor at Home Depot for ~$20.  It was a 240 or 270 degree unit with "Creep Zone" and Boost.  Basically, that just gives a down facing sensor and picks up motion out to 100'.

Thanks for the idea.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 09:43:04 AM »

The Motion Sensor triggering a 120 volt relay and a PowerFlash will send an X10 command when turning On and Off.
You would not be able to turn it On and Off with an X10 power line command.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 10:51:45 AM »

The Motion Sensor triggering a 120 volt relay and a PowerFlash will send an X10 command when turning On and Off.
You would not be able to turn it On and Off with an X10 power line command.

That is correct.  It will function as a motion sensor, but it will not be controlled by X10 PLC or RF.  If you need that functionality, you would need to add some kind of X10 module to the light and have the motion sensor controlled PF on the same HU as the light.

lviper

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 12:01:42 PM »

Couldn't you simply use an in-line x10 module on any standard floodlight and a ms16a motion sensor? Set the motion sensor to the same HC and UC as the in-line module and the motion would turn the light on and off. You would also need a wireless transceiver if you want to turn the light on and off with a remote. This is how I do it.

If the light is turned on either by a RF switch or motion I have a flag set to know the light is on. Clear the flag when it's turned off. This way my system knows when the light is on or off. The nice part about the in-line module is the fact it has to be turned on by a controller so the flag is always set or cleared. Unlike the wired wall switches that do not report when controlled at the switch.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 12:12:47 PM »

Couldn't you simply use an in-line x10 module on any standard floodlight and a ms16a motion sensor? Set the motion sensor to the same HC and UC as the in-line module and the motion would turn the light on and off.
Remote or not, you would still need a transceiver to change the MS16A RF to PLC for the inline module.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.