Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Home Theater Upgrade  (Read 32093 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: Home Theater Upgrade
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2015, 02:46:53 PM »

Lenovo Q190: Good news/Bad news

Good news: It does not have the Silverfish malware.

Bad news: Walking across my carpet builds up static electricity this time of year. I've been getting nipped every time I power up the Q190. Today, it zapped the power LED but there were no further symptoms. Hopefully, it will do no further damage.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2015, 05:59:13 PM »

Time to crank up that humidifier.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2015, 10:44:05 AM »

Time to crank up that humidifier.

We have one running here. Seems like February is always the lotion and humidifier season.   
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2015, 02:42:38 PM »

This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Traverso

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2018, 10:09:37 AM »

Did anyone set up their home theater recently? What brand are people going with these days?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2018, 10:52:02 AM »

Did anyone set up their home theater recently? What brand are people going with these days?

Wow talk about a revived old thread. This is originally from 2015 I believe. Fortunately.... I regularly upgrade. I do not believe these technologies stand still long enough to be left alone for long. My Home Automation and my Home Theater are like moving targets.

I am a cyclist.... and while out riding one day stopped at a yard sale that interested me and found a nice (recent) HDMI switching amp for nearly nothing. That's all it took to get me started. I Had been wanting to upgrade. But... honestly I was seriously considering a 75" led Smart TV. But the wife likes the screen.... and my feeling were mixed. So accepting that this would NOT be my last Home Theater setup... I proceeded.

My speakers were fine with the new amp... so I moved onward.

After much research locally and on-line.... I ordered a new optimia projector. It has a better throw and can do a larger screen (than my OLD infocus) and 3200 ANSI Lumens (instead of the old 2000). The extra brightness is very noticeable. I did the math and was sure of what I could do. But I ordered the projector and waited for it's arriveal and testing before I proceeded.

After a little testing I ordered a $15 genaric mount for the projector and a 110 inch fixed screen. (I'd constructed a theater for someone else with a fixed screen... and knew I liked them). I bought a delux screen but I am sure showtime would be just as nice.

Total install time was just a few hours... less than a full day.

I have a 1080p setup. I know there are some 4K stuff available. But in my case I think another upgrade in a couple more years will be more to my liking than trying to buy tomorrows tech today.... I could be wrong.

I can (and do) play Blue Ray media but mostly now I am streaming movies using the streaming abilities of the BR player. To prevent any buffering.... I ran CAT6 to the player/streaming device. I also have a 2nd streaming device (a WiFi only Roku) that streams cable TV content from my cable provider (the Roku is actually shared with my man-cave TV). 

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 10:56:07 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.