Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Security Device  (Read 12697 times)

Francey

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Security Device
« on: June 15, 2017, 05:00:09 PM »

Novice here.
I just purchased a Dakota Driveway Alert DCRH-2500.  (Run over hose, Transmitter alerts Receiver,  and Alert is sounded.)

I also have a receiver....RoboDog, used with DM10A outdoor motion detector. (since lost).
Robodog Frequency is 310.0.  When someone walked in front of the Transmitter RoboDog would bark for 30 seconds.
My question: 
How can I adjust the DCRH-2500 driveway Alert Transmitter so that it will trigger Robodog Receiver at the same time as it 'rings it's own bell' when a car comes up the
driveway.   Robodog plugs into any electrical outlet. 

I also have a Lamp Module X10 Powerhouse that worked from the DM10A unit which turned on the lamps when the Transmitter was triggered.
Please keep in mind I am a NOVICE... I know nothing about this complicated subject.  Surely the wonderful people who takes to this stuff naturally  will be able
to tell me how to connect Robodog to my security driveway unit.  Thank you.  Francey

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: Security Device
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 05:34:52 PM »

The driveway transmitter should have an FCC ID number on it. You can look up the details on the FCC site. What you need to know is what frequency the transmitter uses.
https://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid

Odds are against you as you not only need both tuned to the same frequency, you need the driveway transmitter to send a code recognized by your doggie.

Your best bet would be to look for a DM10A on EBay.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=MS10A&_sacat=0
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 06:27:04 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 08:02:02 PM »

dhouston posted a link to the MS10A Security Motion Detector to use instead of a DM10A. I don't believe a MS10A can substitute for a DM10A as the MS10A transmits a "security code" rather than a standard X10 code which your Robo Dog and Lamp Module respond to. Instead you might look an outdoor motion sensor like the MS16A

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X10-ActiveHome-Active-Eye-Indoor-Outdoor-Motion-Sensor-MS16A-100-SOLD-/201399015980?hash=item2ee4511a2c:g:NpEAAOSwT6pVvUYl

to take the place of your DM10A.

What kind of alarm do you have for your driveway sensor. You might be able to trigger an X10 PowerFlash module from your driveway alarm.

https://www.x10.com/home-security/psc01-powerflash-burgular-alarm-interface.html
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

Francey

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 09:42:41 PM »

I would like very much to find a way to make the new Driveway Alert DCRH-2500 connect to Robodog.   This Unit
has an 8 tab selection-choice on both transmitter and receiver that 'apparently' you can change the frequency
settings..  This, from the Manual:   Quote: The first 8 dip switches are for the frequency setting (256 combinations). Set the first 8 switches
to match the 8 switches in the receiver."

As soon as I learn the Frequency of the DCRH-2500 I'll add it here, and perhaps that will help.
I don't have the Unit 'in hand' yet.  It's due any day.  On reading the online Instructions that the above Quote suggests-- that the
frequency can be changed, so long as it's done on both transmitter and receiver.  SO, if Robodog frequency is 310.0, if I change
the existing DCRH-2500 transmitter and receiver to a frequency of 310.0...wouldn't that trigger Robodog, when Robodog is plugged into the house electric?
So then, 1) the driveway alert system sounds, 2) AND robodog starts barking.  <smile>  (I'm sure you will understand this, as I barely do.) Frances

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 10:09:29 PM »

.....  You might be able to trigger an X10 PowerFlash module from your driveway alarm.

https://www.x10.com/home-security/psc01-powerflash-burgular-alarm-interface.html

I looked for the manual for your (Dakota 2500) receiver. Here: https://www.dakotaalert.com/docs/DCR2500_Manual.pdf

Looking at the manual.... it appears that you might be able to connect a PowerFlash Module to your Dakota 2500 relay contact points. Then set the X10 PowerFlash Module to the same unit/house code used by your RoboDog and light module.

OR..... as you suggest... You might be able to use the pins/address used in the Dakota 2500 (for a direct X10 RF). But that would mean they [Dakota] were fully aware of the compatibility with X10 when they selected the frequency. And... looking at the manual I thought they used Frequency: 433.92 MHz. Give their tech-support a call and ask them.

PO Box 130 • 32556 East Main St. • Elk Point, SD 57025 www.dakotaalert.com • ph: 605.356.2772
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 10:51:23 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 10:39:28 PM »

I hope this works out for you. I've recently purchased/installed a Mighty Mule Wireless Driveway Alarm (FM231). I love the unit! But it isn't compatible with anything else. I can easily hear it's beep anywhere on one floor of my home.... but sadly that's it. Adding an additional sensor or phone alert would be nice.

Or... on 2nd thought. I could leave well (actually excellent) enough alone... and look to my security cameras "object detection" for a phone/email alert. Actually... the cameras recording system also has contact/alert points that would (I believe) trigger a PowerFlash unit. I might even be able to set-up an emailed image (of car license plate?).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 10:53:42 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 05:34:25 AM »

if I change the existing DCRH-2500 transmitter and receiver to a frequency of 310.0...wouldn't that trigger Robodog, when Robodog is plugged into the house electric?
It's not likely as you not only need the frequency at 310MHz you also need the proper sequence of RF bursts for Robodog to understand it. The X10 RF Protocol is explained here...
https://www.laser.com/dhouston/rf.html
and the next to last paragraph explains the slightly different sequences used by X10 Security devices like Robodog.
X-10 security transmitters use a similar protocol but only one nybble of the first two bytes are bitwise complementary while the last two bytes follow the same pattern as standard X-10 RF codes.

Francey

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 08:36:40 AM »

I discovered that YES, the frequency for the DCRH-2500 is 433.92 and Robodog is 310.0.
Can I do any harm to the DCRH-2500 if I change the 433.92 to 310.0 on both transmitter and receiver?  Just to see  what happens?
(The Unit still has not arrived, due 13th, but hasn't been shipped yet.)
 -------
I checked out the HF Power Flash Module UM506 ($30) and perhaps that is a simple, but expensive
solution.  Robodog has a dial set A for House.  (Also, Run/Install switch, Vol., red light ON, & Test button.)
There is no visible means of connecting any wires.  How would you connect the DCRH-2500 Receiver to the UM506?
Robodog has two indented Phillips head screws holding the case together.  To be sure, if I unscrew it, there will be important wires holding the
two parts together inside.  I was hoping any connection would be wireless.  I don't want to damage Robodog.

Francey

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 08:41:17 AM »

Correction:
How would you connect Robodog to the UM506?
Robodog has two indented Phillips head screws holding the case together.  To be sure, if I unscrew it, there will be important wires holding the
two parts together inside.  I was hoping any connection would be wireless.  I don't want to damage Robodog.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 09:29:54 AM »

Unless Dakota designed in X10 support, you will have to use a 3rd component.  I believe the Dakota receiver has a relay port (as was already mentioned).  You will need to use a X10 component to trigger off of that relay port that will send an RF command that the RoboDog will receive.  I'm not familiar with the RoboDog, but looking at the wiki, it appears that it can receive signals via any RF remote or via PLC.

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Setting_Up_the_Robodog_Alarm

If so, you can use a Power Flash module connected to the relay ports so long as it is installed in an outlet that the RoboDog can receive PLC from.  If not, you might need to be creative with a RF transmitter mod.

Francey

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 10:26:03 AM »

Just got a response from Dakota on request about X10.  Will this information help?  Frances
It should be able to use X10 through the relays on our receiver. The 2500 series has four form C relays and a 12v output. Unquote

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 10:37:34 AM »

Can I do any harm to the DCRH-2500 if I change the 433.92 to 310.0 on both transmitter and receiver?  Just to see  what happens?
If it's possible to set it for 310MHz, it won't do any damage and it's probably worth a try to see what happens before spending more money on something that will allow interaction.

As I'm not intimately familiar with Robodog and know even less about your DCRH-2500, I can't be certain, but doubt we'll find a way to interface them without additional hardware.

Francey

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 03:55:04 PM »

I just received this reply from Tony, at Dakota...He's been very patient and pleasant...

Quote:  All I can tell you is how our products operate. You can't change the frequency of our transmitters. The receiver does have 4 normally open or normally closed relays that can activate things, such as bells, security panels, sirens and whistles. So the only way our receiver could possibly work with that is if they could use those relays. Unquote

I replied asking for the Procedure for activating those bells, security panels, sirens and whistles...  Maybe that's the key?

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 04:32:45 PM »

dhouston posted a link to the MS10A Security Motion Detector to use instead of a DM10A.
After reading the Robodog manual, it appears that it can be triggered by either a standard or security motion detector but I gather that a motion detector is not a good solution in this application.

Connecting the (costly) PSC01 Powerflash Module is straightforward but it would help if we knew more details about where the DCR2500 receiver is relative to where the Robodog is.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.