Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: X10 with Alexa using the "Broadlink RM Pro" hub  (Read 42255 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: X10 with Alexa using the "Broadlink RM Pro" hub
« Reply #105 on: November 27, 2017, 11:00:26 AM »

....  I tend to tinker more with Home Automation in the cooler months and this thing has many possibilities. Combining this with the CM15A gives awesome power to my HA setup.

I (have for years) thought the period.... following Christmas and proceeding the 1st spring mowing.... was "Home Automation Season". Having pretty much ended my summer bicycling season.... I am now looking forward to winter weight training at the gym. And of course, serious HA improvement. I just ordered my "Broadlink RM Pro" (2nd edition?) . I also couldn't past-up another Echo Dot at the cyber-Monday deal of 29.99 (US). 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 11:02:58 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

randysel

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2017, 10:16:52 PM »

Hi, I tried everything that you suggested but I cant get the rm plug in to see the device or codes setup in the e-control app.  It keeps popping up the instructions on how to share from e-control but i never receives any codes.  Any suggestions?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2017, 06:55:52 AM »

the Econtrol app is a bit of a pain to navigate until you get the hang of it.
were you able to register the RM Broadlink with the app? the app is useless until you've done that.
You might try the IHC app from Brodlink. I find it a bit easier to navigate but it is lacking the sharing and back up options.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2017, 12:27:16 PM »

Today I got this working with the Smart things skill even though I don't have a Smart Things Hub.
You'll need to follow directions posted here along with the needed files supplied and a few edits you'll be up and running in no time https://github.com/beckyricha/Broadlink-RM-SmartThings-Alexa ;)
There are three options though If you don't have tasker or a smart things hub you have to use the cloud control option
Scroll down to the bottom  to version with cloud control.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2017, 06:11:51 PM »

I setup my [new] Broadlink RM pro the other day. I just did a basic setup. And included the TV and Cable Box in an "Alexa morning routine", as well as my "bedtime routine" (which includes an X10 macro). I am REALLY happy with the device and the job it does.

I added a wifi module in the mix as well.... since my current easy chair is a theater style elecrtic recliner. And with tiny grandkids around I thought it might be a good idea to lock-out the motorized mechanism.

I find it much easier/quicker to say "Alexa, mute the television" as I pick up the phone.... than grab the TV remote 1st. That in itself is good automation. I think for the most part.... I am fine with using my Harmony remote to control the TV and cable box. And will likely continue to use the Blue Ray and Roku remotes when using those devices. Even thought I have the option to use the Harmony remote to comntrol those.

The X10 operation part.... from what I've seen so far..... it looks like the Broadlink uses the X10 IR codes to/through an IR to X10 device (IR X10 Command Console). I use that same process in my Home Theater via my Logitech-Harmony remote (and have for about a decade). Fortunatly.... I even happen to have a spare IR X10 Command Console. I think.... the Broadlink/Alexa/IR X10 Command Console could control a decent sized automation setup... and do a very satisfactory job. IMHO

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2017, 07:33:19 PM »

The X10 operation part.... from what I've seen so far..... it looks like the Broadlink uses the X10 IR codes to/through an IR to X10 device (IR X10 Command Console). I use that same process in my Home Theater via my Logitech-Harmony remote (and have for about a decade). Fortunatly.... I even happen to have a spare IR X10 Command Console. I think.... the Broadlink/Alexa/IR X10 Command Console could control a decent sized automation setup... and do a very satisfactory job. IMHO
Nope the RM Broadlink learns X10 RF directly, thought I suppose you could go the IR way if you wished. Doing the IR would make for a bit slower response I would think.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2017, 02:45:10 AM »

... the RM Broadlink learns X10 RF directly,...

Well then.... That could make the RM Broadlink a major help in making X10 a part of an Alexa setup. My RM Broadlink is setting in my living room... controlling the TV I use for daily TV viewing. Which puts the unit almost directly one floor above my CM15A. The RM Broadlink is much cheaper than... say, a [homeseer] hometroller.

I have one routine involving the RM Broadlink, that besides turning off the TV and cable box set top.....also utilizes my Wink Hub to turn off a Cree wifi bulb. As well as an ihome module directly through the Alexa/echo device to turn off an LED strip... AND an Etekcity (wifi) module to lock out my theater style chair, while also signaling my Hometroller to signal with an X10 PLC which triggers a macro in another CM15A. 

As complex as this might sound/read.... the setup is super simple and works flawlessly.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 02:55:57 AM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2017, 02:56:17 AM »

Yes, I've posted X10 codes for house codes "A" and "L" on my forum these are simple text files.
You need to be running the RM bridge which is an android only app then you can use the RM Bridge web interface to learn/import or export codes
http://rm-bridge.fun2code.de/rm_manage/

If you wish to go the Tasker Route you need the eControl App and there are x10 codes you can get for it posted to the cloud on the Broadlink server.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #113 on: December 30, 2017, 03:02:19 AM »

Yes, I've posted X10 codes for house codes "A" and "L" on my forum these are simple text files.
You need to be running the RM bridge which is an android only app then you can use the RM Bridge web interface to learn/import or export codes
http://rm-bridge.fun2code.de/rm_manage/

If you wish to go the Tasker Route you need the eControl App and there are x10 codes you can get for it posted to the cloud on the Broadlink server.

Now.... that's where you lose me. In the iPhone App that I downloaded to my phone... as directed via the Broadlink package instructions.... it says to point the remote at the Broadlink device (and push the button). Does this only work with IR as I assumed?

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #114 on: December 30, 2017, 03:57:13 AM »

Now.... that's where you lose me. In the iPhone App that I downloaded to my phone... as directed via the Broadlink package instructions.... it says to point the remote at the Broadlink device (and push the button). Does this only work with IR as I assumed?
No, it also works with certain RF frequencies. While the hardware is capable of a wide range of frequencies, currently 310, 315 & 433MHz are supported. Initially, 310 was omitted but I think they quickly realized there was a market in N. America that used it.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: December 30, 2017, 04:00:14 AM »

There are several apps for the Broadlink You may be limited with an iPhone.
What app are you running on the iPhone?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #116 on: December 30, 2017, 12:13:09 PM »

There are several apps for the Broadlink You may be limited with an iPhone.
What app are you running on the iPhone?

I am running the Intelligent Home Center (IHC)
by broadlink Co. Ltd

There is also a:  Broadlink e-control (also by broadlink Co. Ltd) Which I did NOT install it's app states its for smart plugs.

HA Dave

« Reply #117 on: December 30, 2017, 12:27:03 PM »

Looking at Amazon, I see there are 433 MHz Broadlink modules...... but the 433 MHz is the same as/similar to X10... is my guess. 

juanka

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2018, 04:23:16 PM »

The RF stopped working on the RM pro :-(
Lights blink but nothing happens now. 
Hard reset, reload codes but nothing.
Contacted the manufacturer, see if they honor the warranty.
(Everything IR still works)
I'll be getting the new model meanwhile.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: January 28, 2018, 05:17:21 PM »

I use both the IHC and eControl app both do RF and IR the IHC has the Alexa skill.
I can control X10 with both apps if I wanted to.
juanka, have you tried relearning RF devices or just sending existing code?
You can not send RF via the Alexa skill it is only for IR (currently)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.