Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ws469 in 3-way configuration with CS277  (Read 10375 times)

Ivan8ias

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Ws469 in 3-way configuration with CS277
« on: October 14, 2017, 08:26:56 PM »

Hello,

I have been using X10 products for decades. I have several WS4777 / CS277 3-way setups working fine, including the ones to my detached garage floodlight. I just installed a 500W halogen fixture and decided to replace the WS4777 switch with a Ws469 relay switch to handle the higher wattage.

Here's where I am having the problem. I am not a novice to house wiring and in fact I had the WS4777 and CS277 for the garage circuit working fine for years. Now I can't get the WS469 to operate in 3-way mode with the companion CS277 slave switch. In the house I have a neutral wire and a hot wire. I have two traveller wires to the garage and the fixture wire in the garage. After a whole day analyzing the problem I finally disconnected the CS277 and jumped the fixture wire with one of the traveller wires and now it obviously works from the house only. I can hear the click of the relay and the green led works.

On the WS469 I hooked up the black wire to the hot wire, the white wire to neutral, the red wire to the traveler wire connected to the red wire of the CS277 and the remaining blue wire from the WS469 to one of the blue wires on the CS277. I connected the remaining blue wire to the lamp fixture.

It does not work. I tried every combination of connecting the CS277. Still no good. What baffles me is, it used to work fine with the WS4777.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Ws469 in 3-way configuration with CS277
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 07:17:32 AM »

Are you sure you have a Neutral Power Connection. In many three way setups a White is not a real Neutral.
Did you get the Neutral from a bundle of White wires in the rear of the electrical box?
The WS4777 setup stole power through the load so no Neutral was needed at the switch, just the load itself.

Does the WS469 turn On and Off with with its local paddle, with the CS277 in the circuit but the light doesn't go On.
Does the Green LED go On and Off from the WS469 local paddle with the CS277 connected?

If you have a meter with the circuit power OFF. Verify the CS277 is good. There should be a short or very low resistance between the Blue wires and a short between either Blue wire and the Red wire when the switch is pushed.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 12:34:04 PM by Brian H »

Ivan8ias

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 10:25:39 PM »

Brian, thank you for your reply. I have wired and rewired many houses in the past. I definitely identified the group of wires that I connected the white wire on the WS469 to be neutral. I know that the WS469 3-way connections are different from the WS4777, which I had installed years ago. I took that into consideration when I rewired the WS469. Since the wiring in this old farmhouse is cloth covered rubber, and have no distinguishable colors, I rang out the wires to be sure which were which. The only way that I can get the WS469 to work is to eliminate the CS277 and jump the blue wire coming from the house to the light fixture, essentially making it work as a stand alone switch. The green led functions properly and the garage light turns on and off. I even went so far as to purchase a couple of brand new CS277 switches, and tried that. I even went so far as to pick up a hot lead from elsewhere in the garage and connected it to the blue wire. No matter what combination of wires I tried using the CS277, the garage light either stays constantly on or won't turn on.

I noticed that the pdf of the WS469 manual depicting the 3-way illustration differs from the diagram and instructions that came with the switch (which shows one of the blue wires on the CS277 capped off).

Essentially, the way that they wired the original switches was to have the hot wire at the house and the load wire at the garage, connecting the two switches in a SPDT fashion, using the two "traveller" wires to connect to the switches.

Incidentally, I also currently have two WS469 switches, each as stand-alone, (red wire capped off) controlling my house front and back floodlights, respectively.

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 10:55:22 AM »

Hi Ivan,

Try ringing out (or better yet measure the resistance if you can) the two blue wires in your CS277.  I believe they should be shorted together (according to the diagram in the corner of this schematic).

I noticed that the pdf of the WS469 manual depicting the 3-way illustration differs from the diagram and instructions that came with the switch (which shows one of the blue wires on the CS277 capped off).

Interesting.  Could you scan and post the diagram in the instructions included with your WS469?  I would have to check, but I believe the diagram in the one I recently received is the same as is online.  That kind of proves my theory that you don't need both blue wires on a CS277, instead they are added to make the wiring easier to understand.

I haven't tried wiring a WS469 in 3-way mode yet (it is next on my to do), so I am curious as to your results.  When I get a chance I will Ohm out both a new CS277 I received and an old one I have from an old WS4777 to see if they are different.

Ivan8ias

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 01:09:18 PM »

Hi Roger, thanks for your reply. I can't figure out how to attach a file in this message board. I have a pdf of the diagram and instructions that came shipped with the WS469. I haven't had a chance to further test the circuit for resistance, but will later. I am currently working on repairing a Ford backhoe/front end loader, replacing a Ford tractor starter solenoid and rebuilding two lawn tractor carburetors. Life keeps me busy here at the farm. :)

Please let me know how to attach a file, and then if the diagram and instructions are the same as yours. I have currently (no pun intended) the blue wire from the WS469, the red wire from the WS469, hot wire from the floodlight, neutral wire from the floodlight and a live wire from the same circuit all available at the outlet box in the garage. I have my alligator clip test leads ready and waiting for your instructions. I just hope it's not a defective WS469 switch. It responds to the X10 codes. I know I have two installed upstairs, but I would hate to take one out just to substitute it.

Please let me know how you would recommend wiring the CS277.

Thank you,
Ivan

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 02:26:53 PM »

Regarding posting images, just click on the "Attachments and other options" button at the bottom of the reply screen.    It will let you choose a file and attach it to the post.

As for the measurement, it was on the CS277.  Check that the two blue wires have no resistance between them.  Make sure it isn't connected to the WS469 or the light when making the measurement.

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 03:00:37 PM »

One other thought.  The wiring for the WS469 never made any sense to me.  Try connecting it like the WS4777 except also connect the white wire to neutral.  In other words, connect the blue wires of he CS277 to the hot wire and black wire of the WS469, connect the blue wire of the WS469 to the light, and white wire of the WS469 to the neutral wire.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 03:04:57 PM »

Newbies cannot attach files. You'll have to make more posts before you can do that.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 04:10:07 PM »

One other thought.  The wiring for the WS469 never made any sense to me.  Try connecting it like the WS4777 except also connect the white wire to neutral.  In other words, connect the blue wires of he CS277 to the hot wire and black wire of the WS469, connect the blue wire of the WS469 to the light, and white wire of the WS469 to the neutral wire.
The White wire has to be Neutral, Black Line and Blue is the Load for a WS469. It is a relay type and does not steal power through the load like a dimmer does and needs a real Neutral.
The manual shows how it has to be connected with a CS277.
http://www.authinx.com/manuals/X10/ws469.pdf
The WS4677 with the CS277 has always been confusing. As there are more than one way a three way setup could be wired.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 04:13:01 PM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 04:21:13 PM »

Ivan,
As pointed out. You can't post the pdf until the Newbie membership is removed.
I believe it is five posts have to be made.

I downloaded the WS4777/CS277 manual and it does not show any of the wires on the CS277 capped off. Maybe the sheet in the CS277 box is incorrect or unclear. My gut says unclear as the X10 three way setups seem to be an issue with many users.
One factor is there is more than one way an electrician can wire a three way light and each may require a slightly different way to convert to X10.

I looked at the WS469 manual. The labeling for the CS277 is VERY confusing. The Blue wire colors are not called out as Blue but called Live.  :'
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 04:35:02 PM by Brian H »

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 04:37:05 PM »

The White wire has to be Neutral, Black Line and Blue is the Load for a WS469. It is a relay type and does not steal power through the load like a dimmer does and needs a real Neutral.

If you re-read my post, it says exactly that.

The manual shows how it has to be connected with a CS277.
http://www.authinx.com/manuals/X10/ws469.pdf
The WS4677 with the CS277 has always been confusing. As there are more than one way a three way setup could be wired.

If you read the WS479 manual, it says to connect the blue wire to the companion switch and the companion switch to the load.  This doesn't make any sense as when the load is off, the companion switch won't have any power to switch back to the traveller.  The WS4777 says to  connect the black wire to the companion switch and the companion switch to the HOT.  This makes more sense to me as the companion switch will always have power to switch back to the traveller.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 06:02:21 PM »

I agree. It does not make sense and maybe an error.
I looked at the XPS3 decorator relay type and the Line goes into one of the companion Blue Wires. The other Companion Blue wire goes to the Line Input of the XPS3. Red wire from the slave to the trigger input of the XPS3.
Neutral goes to the XPS3 and the Load Output on the XPS3 to the light or load being controlled.
So with the Load On or Off there is still a 120 volt trigger available.
I hope the one Ivan has in his box maybe a correct one.

I misread part of your post. I thought they where already using Neutral bundle and you where suggesting a swap.
My bad. Sorry.l
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 06:05:34 PM by Brian H »

Ivan8ias

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 10:20:26 PM »

Thank you Roger and Brian,

I only got a chance this evening to test the brand new CS277 and the existing one. They both test the same. Blue to blue is a short, even if the button is pressed. red shorts to either blue when button is pressed.

Since I am not able to attach a file yet, I will try to explain the diagram that came shipped with the WS469 switch first. WS469 white to neutral. Black to hot (live). Blue common to lamp. Red to red on the CS277. CS277 blue to black common to live on the WS469. The remaining blue shows as capped off (no connection).

The following is as quoted verbatim from the text instructions:

"Replace one of the existing wall switches with the WS469 Wall Switch (Master): connect the common wire to the black wire on the WS469 using a wire nut. Connect the two remaining "traveler" wires to the red and blue wires on the WS469, using wire nuts. If one of the travelers are red (they may be a different color) connect it to the red wire on the WS469. Connect the WS469's White wire to Neutral (NOT ground).
Replace the other existing wall switch with the CS277 Companion Switch (sold separately): Connect the common wire to one of the CS277's BLUE wires. Connect the traveler wire which you connected to the RED wire on the WS469 to the RED wire on the CS277. Connect the remaining traveler wire to the second BLUE wire on the CS277."

The text ambiguously mentions connections to two blue wires, but the diagram shows one blue wire of the CS277 unconnected. Nor does the text mention a lamp (load) connection. Very confusing.

I have it connected now without the CS277, jumping the blue wire from the WS469 to the light, making it effectively work as a stand alone master switch. As I said before, I have every wire available (including a hot wire already in the garage on the same circuit, supplying power to outlets there), in the remote (garage) switchbox. I have alligator clip leads ready. :)

Ivan
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 12:12:15 AM by Ivan8ias »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 06:16:03 AM »

Thank you for the test of the CS277.
That looks correct and both work as they should.

I will go through what you posted. Will see if I can figure it out.
It does sound like the WS469 and CS277 information sheets on the X10 web site where updated with the sheet you got in the modules boxes. So the ones I am looking at are not current.  ???

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 09:10:38 AM »

I only got a chance this evening to test the brand new CS277 and the existing one. They both test the same. Blue to blue is a short, even if the button is pressed. red shorts to either blue when button is pressed.

I did a continuity test on my CS277s last night and got the same results as you did, so everything seems okay on that end.

Since I am not able to attach a file yet, I will try to explain the diagram that came shipped with the WS469 switch first. ...

I also  had a look at my WS469 instructions and they were the same as you described.  I think the picture on the printed instructions is the closest thing to being correct (though the text is certainly confusing and inaccurate).  I didn't have time to scan them though.

I have it connected now without the CS277, jumping the blue wire from the WS469 to the light, making it effectively work as a stand alone master switch. As I said before, I have every wire available (including a hot wire already in the garage on the same circuit, supplying power to outlets there), in the remote (garage) switchbox. I have alligator clip leads ready. :)

For your experiment, try the following (similar to diagram on printed instructions):
  • Red wire on CS277 to red traveller wire
  • One blue wire on CS277 to black (HOT) wire
  • Cap other blue wire on CS277

Let us known if that works.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 09:13:10 AM by roger1818 »
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.