Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Totally screwed up my phone's WiFi -- HELP  (Read 9365 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Totally screwed up my phone's WiFi -- HELP
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2018, 03:11:59 PM »

Glad you figured it out!!  :)% :)%  I'll forward your solution and try to get it added to the manual.
I'll also add something to the FAQ thread I started .
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2018, 05:41:41 AM »

Follow-up:

In the Security App, I found two networks listed, both with the same date/time stamp.    The first was the name of my home WiFi network.   The second one had no name given.   Yesterday, I chalked the second network as being some kind of glitch or duplicate.   In thinking about this some more, I now wondering if the second network was the WM100 itself?   And with that, I would be worried that some other user could experience some odd problems during setup with the WM100 itself being blocked ("my WM100 is DOA !!!!   :(  ").
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2018, 05:54:45 AM »

The second wifi address which was blocked at the same time would have been the WM100.
Since many IoT devices use the same IP for initial setup this may stop futher smart devices from being able to install.
The DOA issue was different as no light on was present and the Replacement worked if I recall.
Many security softwares go to far in blocking or flagging risks but in this day and age it is a good thing.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2018, 02:37:37 PM »

If some other new X10 App user has a phone that's on Verizon, and has this Security App installed, they should check its list of bad/blocked WiFi networks after Setup.
I'm on Verizon, but I do not have a "Security App". Is that the name under Settings, All Apps?

Are you sure this is from Verizon?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2018, 04:41:04 PM »

If some other new X10 App user has a phone that's on Verizon, and has this Security App installed, they should check its list of bad/blocked WiFi networks after Setup.
I'm on Verizon, but I do not have a "Security App". Is that the name under Settings, All Apps?

Are you sure this is from Verizon?

Its name is indeed "Security & Privacy".   Its icon is a white box with a pad lock silhouette on the left side and a Verizon red "v" (check mark?) on the right side.  Google Play lists the author as "Verizon - VZ", though I remember reading somewhere that McAfee was the true author.

I never downloaded and installed it.   I remember Verizon forcing a while back.

* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2018, 05:35:16 PM »

Acording to the FAQ Verizon web site for this app(  https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/verizon-security-and-privacy-faqs/#get-basic )you should have been asked before blocking the wifi access points.
Sounds like the Verizon app messed up.
Or you were in a rush setting up the WM100 and missed the block confirmation from the app.
I never liked Mcafee created stuff, I always had issues with it.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2018, 05:11:50 AM »

I can say with certainty, that I got no message from their Security App when it added my home network to its Blocked list.   I got no message when it added the WM100 to its Blocked list.  I also got no messages at all each time I was later attempting to connect to my home network, and it blocked it.

I surely agree, it would have be real nice if their Security App did that, wouldn't it?   ;)

The Security App's FAQ, which also includes a note about not being able to connect to your home network, is of very little help if one has no idea that the Security App is the source of your problems.   I can just envision the Security App snickering in the background, while I panicked over not being able to connect my very own home network anymore.

While I enjoy picking on Verizon as much as anyone, X10 isn't without out blame here too.   IMHO, X10 shouldn't be using network tricks in its app, that can easily be miss-ID'ed as coming from some bad virus, tripping this Verizon Security App, or any other security (anti-virus) app.    :'
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 05:16:51 AM by Walt2 »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2018, 05:48:34 AM »

I'm not sure when your security app was last updated and it may behave the same for other IoT apps initial setups. What the x10 WIFI app does for initial setup is pretty standard it isn't a trick.
There may be other factors involved here as well, at least the fix was found! #:)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2018, 05:59:51 AM »

I'm not sure when your security app was last updated ...

Jan 8, 2018 to ver 5.0.38.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2018, 06:17:59 AM »

I'm wondering if with Authinx's wanting to make this as quick and easy to setup, is what the security app isn't liking. It basically sends your Wi-Fi info to it as soon as the WM100 comes online.
I fired off an email to Authinx stating you found the issue so it can get relayed to the developer. I'm not sure if that will result in any changes in the apps setup routine. But at least they are aware of the issue.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2018, 06:54:01 AM »

I can mention that GE does something very similar.   Yea, there are some details that are a bit different, like the GE app uses the camera to read a bar code located on the GE Connect module, instead of a QR code.  But I think overall, it going thru the same actions.

One difference is that the GE doesn't try to hide what it is doing.   It tells you that is temporarily disconnecting from your home WiFi network.   It tells you it is connecting to the GE Connect module.   Matter of fact, if it fails to connect, it will prompt you to manually look for a local WiFi network called GE-serialnumber and have your phone connect to it, and then proceed/continue with the rest of the setup.   Of course, once it is all setup, you'll never see the GE-serialnumber network again.

I have done this for a couple of different GE Connect modules (different GE appliances), and never had a problem with the Security app.   So, IMHO, it is possible, and that's the point I am making here.

BTW, this morning I was talking with a good friend, and he had similar problems but with the AT&T version of some security app (EDIT:  Lookout?).   He couldn't even complete the CM100 setup using his phone.  His solution was to use a tablet, he also has, for the setup, and is now OK.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 06:59:33 AM by Walt2 »
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.