Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: IOS Device: Cannot Sync  (Read 6538 times)

michaelbushell

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
IOS Device: Cannot Sync
« on: April 09, 2018, 08:41:28 PM »

One of the unsung useful features of the hub is the ability to log the X10 traffic. As X10 users we all know of the occasional light or appliance that suddenly goes on or goes off.

Having the Hub installed now for a couple of weeks, in conjunction with my CM15 (I haven't yet setup any Timers on the hub), the list few times I tried looking at the log, the Hub had trouble sync-ing. I've considered resting but I'm not  familiar with what that does, so I don't.

Any suggestions as to what to do? For Android, they say to unplug the unit, but who says the problem is the same.

I have now tried the scan process over a dozen times with varying success, sometimes the indicator of per cent completion of the data transmission actually begins - except that it stops and says try again. As I said, I have already successfully installed the Hub and this iPad but it started mohave trouble syncing -my iPhone continues to function.

I wish the software developer was reading this and could simply tell me whether it sounds like a bug with the iPad IOS and the HUB.

Saturday I am bringing my iPad to Apple to check it out but s my iPad does one wifi comunication with three other server based apps, I don't think Apple will find anything wrong with the iPad.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 09:14:36 PM by michaelbushell »

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: IOS Device: Cannot Sync
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 05:03:12 AM »

I don't think anyone has made any use of the history function. Neither android or iOS.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

michaelbushell

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 10:28:41 AM »

I tried the WiFi wizard and went through scanning the QR code and now I can't even get the sync with that; meaning the iPAD app can no longer communicate with the hub. (up to now, I had no trouble using the iPad with the App.)

On the other hand, my iPhone continues to work fine with the App.

I tried deleting the app and reloading but no success.

Bill811

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 11:55:47 PM »

Posted this to x10 Wi-Fi app for ios thread: Upgraded my iPad to iOS 11.3 and now registering the app consistently fails, using the iPad camera and also a very good photo of the QR code. Usually it fails right away, but occasionally will proceed to 7 or 14%. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app, restarted the iPad, resynced the WM100, in various orders. Works ok on my Android devices (except of course downloading history, which did work on the iPad when it was previously working).

michaelbushell

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 02:29:34 AM »

Thanks Bill811 for your post and follow of the Sync problem on your iPad. Misery loves company, if nothing else. I, too had recently upgraded my iPad to 11.3, after I had installed the X10 App on it. I, too, made a number of better and better photos of the silly Scan code (couldn't they have certified any other way?!). And of course, my wife's and my iPhones continue to work even though they are on 11.3 too. I'm still going to go to the Apple genius bat next Saturday to give my IPAD a health test, and I will report this problem may have been created by Apple.

Bill811

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 05:01:10 AM »

Interesting that iphones on 11.3 work, but not our ipads. Our phones and a tablet are Samsung Androids that work, except for downloading X10 WiFi history, which fails with an exception and automatic app restart. Looking forward to anything you find out from Apple. Maybe the next ios update will fix it. Always hopeful.

michaelbushell

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 05:32:28 AM »

Bill,I have some older X10 modules, and they don't last forever.  As a result, some of my older X-10 switches/modules age and become sporadic. The key is, were they turned on by some artifact on the line or by a real unexpected or rogue X10 serial code, or it was just an older module/switch randomly failing and no code transmitted at all. The log can show you whether there was an X10 code or not. (If not, you probably need to replace the module if it continues to occur.). Unfortunately, the current implementation does not appear to pick up every transmission.

The CM15  records the log os well but only if you keep it online.That I don't do.

I'll keep you posted.

michaelbushell

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 07:59:27 PM »

I just returned from the Apple Store and showed them that the Hub doesn't work. We scanned, it accepted the code but the error code came up again. They think it's  a bug in the App and suggested that I (and you) should go to the App store online, and where the X10 Hub is shown, there's a place for us to give the developer feedback. The Apple at the Genius bar did it for me.

I brought along my iPhone just to show them how it's supposed to work. The Apple folk showed me a feature about the Hub I had not known.....that I could remotely operate my X10 devices on my iPhone remotely (using the Apple Stores wifi.).   Neat!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 03:24:12 AM »

The Apple folk showed me a feature about the Hub I had not known.....that I could remotely operate my X10 devices on my iPhone remotely (using the Apple Stores wifi.).   Neat!
You do not need WiFi, the App will work over the cell also. To keep from using data close the app until you need it. To just check status or control something and then close, data use miniscule.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Bill811

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 12:20:49 AM »

Michaelbushell - thanks for verifying the iPad ios 11.3 registration scan problem. Developer feedback link on the App Store just goes to x10.com, so I posted an app review noting the problem.

michaelbushell

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 02:28:21 AM »

Bill811, I would think that the more ways we can try to reach them, the better.

The  company name that I was thinking of is AUTHINX, which I think is the development group that created the HUB. They may be fully owned by X10.com.

Did you write your review already?

BTW, I would think that you've had a lot of experience with the technology of X10. I'm too invested in all the modules around the house to change so I went ahead with the obvious extension that we've been waiting so long for. But the technology leaves a lot to be desired. Not often but every so often, a transmission doesn't reach it's target. With the hub, sometimes it doesn't 'hear' every request even though the targeted device did. If I want to turn a device off that is already on, and the Hub shows that it is off, I need to first turn it on via the hub, and then turn it off with the Hub. No big deal, that's the intuitive thing to do. But I wouldn't want to use the HUB for a commercial building. There's a niche for the HUB, that's certain however.

Bill811

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 07:22:55 PM »

Actually, Authinx has taken over X10. Look at x10.com/about-us

I have posted my review on the App Store. It is there along with yours.

So far, the hub has correctly indicated module status when controlled by other devices such as RF controllers and AHP. I’ll watch more carefully for errors.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 07:35:52 PM »

X10WTI went bankrupt at least a few years ago.
Then Authinx Inc. took over.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 07:38:08 PM »

The  company name that I was thinking of is AUTHINX, which I think is the development group that created the HUB. They may be fully owned by X10.com.
FWIW
Technically Authinx IS X10. "X10 WTI" (old X10)  crashed and burned back in 2012 or so. They went bankrupt and closed the doors very suddenly. Authinx which had been a X10, and home automation, seller bought what was left of the old X10. It took them a while, but Authinx managed to re-establish manufacture of much of the old X10 product line (with improvements like AGC to make the system more reliable). https://www.x10.com/about-us/

It is very difficult to make an X10 home automation system bullet proof. But a "flame thrower" coupler/repeater like the XTB-IIR from JV Digital Engineering  http://jvde.us/ will make a system nearly bullet proof. We have 80 some modules in an under 2000 sq ft home. Our system went from maybe 80 percent signal reliability to 99.9 percent reliability after installing the XTB-IIR.

Oops, sorry for stepping on Brian H

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

michaelbushell

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 04:56:41 AM »

Thanks for the info Dave (and Brian)

I have been using repeaters (2) that I bought way back from Smarthome. I also have a couple of filters which are supposed to prevent big transformers and motors from sucking up the signals on the AC lines. They are each  very location dependent to do their job (many hours of playing around with them).

How does the flame thrower you refer to differ from the smarthome modules I have? My home is 2900 square feet, 2 floors play basement and attic (got some up there too!).
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.