Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: X10 on the Raspberry Pi running Home Assistant  (Read 10217 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
X10 on the Raspberry Pi running Home Assistant
« on: July 13, 2018, 04:00:52 PM »

I've just completed setting up X10 on a Raspberry Pi using the frontend Home Assistant. If its of interest to anyone here on the forum I can post up basic instructions to do this. The X10 side of things is looked after by Heyu and a CM11/CM12 controller.

It is just one aspect of a very comprehensive setup that is Home Assistant. It's definitely worth investigating and once you have it up and running, you are only limited by your imagination as to what you can add.

I currently have a security panel (not X10) and cameras added plus Alexa. The list of possibilities seems endless.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: X10 on the Raspberry Pi running Home Assistant
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 05:34:07 PM »

Some screen shots would be helpful Pictures do speak volumes.
SInce I don't have a cm11 or 12 I can't look into this HA control option.
It does seem like extra work having to run Heyu just to get X10 control. Why not just run heyu?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 05:54:18 PM »

It can't handle a CM15A then?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 06:04:44 PM »

From my understanding there is no support for the cm15 (yet)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 07:11:39 PM »

It can't handle a CM15A then?

I've seen it done but will probably take a little bit of work. I have the CM15 so I'll probably give it a shot when I get the time.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 07:25:51 PM »

Some screen shots would be helpful Pictures do speak volumes.
SInce I don't have a cm11 or 12 I can't look into this HA control option.
It does seem like extra work having to run Heyu just to get X10 control. Why not just run heyu?

Integration is the key here. Everything under one roof. X10 is just one element of my Home Assistant setup. I've finally found an open source project that fits nicely with the Raspberry Pi and the community is very active and development is current and updates are regular. The learning curve is quite easy too.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 08:46:57 PM »

lviper

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 09:01:37 AM »

I've just completed setting up X10 on a Raspberry Pi using the frontend Home Assistant. If its of interest to anyone here on the forum I can post up basic instructions to do this. The X10 side of things is looked after by Heyu and a CM11/CM12 controller.

It is just one aspect of a very comprehensive setup that is Home Assistant. It's definitely worth investigating and once you have it up and running, you are only limited by your imagination as to what you can add.

I currently have a security panel (not X10) and cameras added plus Alexa. The list of possibilities seems endless.

Oh yes I'm interested. I've been researching how to do this for a few months now and about ready to jump in. I would love to integrate my X10 and WINK stuff with Home Assistant and I've been looking at the RPi for the device. So this would be perfect.

I was leaning towards the RPi 3 b+ running Hassbian. I also have the CM11a which is what I currently use with another software call Home Control Assistant. So the only part I need is the RPi and I was hoping to find a deal during Prime Day today.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 11:29:49 AM »

Integration is the key here. Everything under one roof. X10 is just one element of my Home Assistant setup. I've finally found an open source project that fits nicely with the Raspberry Pi and the community is very active and development is current and updates are regular. The learning curve is quite easy too.

That's why I went with HG a few years back.  At the time, it was the only Linux based (RPi compatible), open source, fully programmable (no graphics "programming"), multi-system, actively developed HA software that also had an active forum of users.  At this point, it's kinda died off.  I'm still using it because I actually like it a lot and I've invested a lot of time into code development, but I'm always open to upgrades.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 12:06:08 PM »

Oh yes I'm interested. I've been researching how to do this for a few months now and about ready to jump in. I would love to integrate my X10 and WINK stuff with Home Assistant and I've been looking at the RPi for the device. So this would be perfect.

I was leaning towards the RPi 3 b+ running Hassbian. I also have the CM11a which is what I currently use with another software call Home Control Assistant. So the only part I need is the RPi and I was hoping to find a deal during Prime Day today.

I'll post up my install instructions later so. You'll need a fresh install of Raspbian Stretch Lite (not the desktop version) to start with.

The manual installation of Home Assistant is the best way forward. It allows the best option of installing other services on the same Raspberry Pi and integrating them into Home Assistant.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 12:09:12 PM »

That's why I went with HG a few years back.  At the time, it was the only Linux based (RPi compatible), open source, fully programmable (no graphics "programming"), multi-system, actively developed HA software that also had an active forum of users.  At this point, it's kinda died off.  I'm still using it because I actually like it a lot and I've invested a lot of time into code development, but I'm always open to upgrades.

Same here. No real development of HG in the last two years and a lot of chat about how it is going to be packaged. Too many other contenders around now for the Raspberry Pi for me to wait any longer.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 12:15:59 PM »

I've just completed setting up X10 on a Raspberry Pi using the frontend Home Assistant...…. you are only limited by your imagination

I like the sound of THAT.

Something I'm looking at https://www.home-assistant.io/components/light.mochad/

See... that going and "add this code" and "re-write that line" is a little much for my Oldman skills. I love the rock-solid performance of the Pi and am crazy about my Homeseer Hometroller (also a Pi). I'd love to try HG or HA.... but I think it's too much like coding for myself..... and for most of us.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 01:40:54 PM »

I'd love to try HG or HA.... but I think it's too much like coding for myself..... and for most of us.
I don't know about HA yet  ::) :'
However trying HG is actually far from being like coding. True a point and click installer no longer works (at least it didn't for me) but it is only 4 lines to paste into a terminal window two of which are to update drivers and linux.
Dave you tend to over think things, HG is almost as simple as setting up AHP without any of the plugins.
Think of the HG coding add ons like the SDK for AHP you can use it or let others create the addons you use.
The addons others create are simpler to install then AHP addons others created and they are integrated directly into HG.
I don't like to have to type or cut and paste a bunch of code to get something working to test. If I'm going to do that I'll create my own software.
I'm sure I can get you running HG on your Pi in less then 20 mins. Obiously creating a whole HA setup would take much longer depending on devices, timers, macros. But setup for simple turning on/off x10 devices is very simple point and click.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 05:56:29 PM »

…. Dave you tend to over think things, HG is almost as simple as setting up AHP without any of the plugins.
Think of the HG coding add ons like the SDK for AHP you can use it or let others create the addons you use.
The addons others create are simpler to install then AHP addons others created and they are integrated directly into HG...….

Maybe you're right. I know there is something I am missing... not catching on to. I keep reading these threads/posts. I believe these little Pi-like devices and smart phones are the PC's of the very near future. Being an old MS guy... I find the Linux world a frustrating place. But... I have NOT given up.

But right now I am in the middle of bicycling season... and just added a (wonderful Craigslist find) CAAD-10 (105) to my herd. Plus I am in the middle of another Home Theater Upgrade. But the current heat-wave could cause the lawn to go dormant. That would open-up a little free time.  :)

Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 06:01:11 PM »

Plus I am in the middle of another Home Theater Upgrade[/i]. But the current heat-wave could cause the lawn to go dormant. That would open-up a little free time.  :)
The home theater is where alot of linux software has been focused arround.
This is realy one of the aspects that drove me to using a PI.
There are several Linux versions that are built stricly for the home theater (booting directly to kodi)
Several of the available Linux HomeAutomation softwares also have a Kodi addon, and Kodi its self has a X10 plugin.
I'm still on the fence about Home Assistant, there are many very sklled X10 users on this forum and which ever software we jump on will benifit.
The WM100 will drive many to Linux I belive and possibly using a SBC like the Pi.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.