Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: (about) 50 million Alexa users  (Read 3039 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
(about) 50 million Alexa users
« on: August 07, 2018, 05:59:29 PM »

I was reading this piece on MSN.com (https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/analysis-few-people-buy-things-via-alexa/ar-BBLBsFN?ocid=spartandhp) that was basicly explaining that only a very few (100,000) users had tried buying stuff using the Alexa device, more than once. When I realized this was the 1st time I've seen such an estimated number of users (2nd paragraph, 1st sentence about 50 million users..... 

Home Automation is an always changing technology

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: (about) 50 million Alexa users
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 02:32:06 AM »

We're early adopters of Alexa and have never bought anything through it. In fact we turned off the capability completely. When I look at items on Amazon I want to see comparable products, check reviews and see all the buying options even for repeat orders of a product. In our house 90% of Alexa usage is controlling HA devices. I have a Redlink bridge, Lutron bridge, Hunter-Douglas bridge, Alex10, Sonoff and more so I don't have to risk serious injury by reaching out and pushing a button.  ::)

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 08:36:06 AM »

50 million users is a LOT of data they are collecting and a LOT of voice clips. I cannot even fathom the amount of storage they must have....

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 01:58:34 PM »

…… In our house 90% of Alexa usage is controlling HA devices...…. so I don't have to risk serious injury by reaching out and pushing a button.  ::)

I think Jane Jetson called it the Push Button Blues, aka: PBB. But it takes a lot of smarts to know which button to push!.

I am actively trying to use Alexa as more of a digitial assistance. Reminders, calender, timers, questions..... etc.. 

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 02:04:06 PM »

50 million users is a LOT of data they are collecting and a LOT of voice clips. I cannot even fathom the amount of storage they must have....

A lot of data, a lot of sales, a lot of Home Automation customers. Just think of the money to be made.... if X10 could modernize and market thier products enough to sell something (anything)... to only one out of a thousand of the Alexa users!!!! Why doesn't X10 sell anything at X10.com that allows X10 to be controlled by Alexa? MANY of us... have already switched over to utilize Alexa control of our X10 setups. Why on Earth isn't X10 part of this?!?!?!?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 04:55:05 PM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 02:46:06 PM »

Why doesn't X10 sell anything at X10.com that allows X10 to be controlled by Alexa? MANY of use... have already switched over to utilize Alexa control of our X10 setups. Why on Earth isn't X10 part of this?!?!?!?
This was the original plan for the WM100 in the early stages of its development.
However Authinx has hit road blocks after road blocks from manufacturing to software development.
This latest app Update is just another example of the frustration they are experiencing.
When/if a X10 skill comes out it will mostlikely be from an end user not Authinx I believe they have just about had enough with software developers.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 05:00:51 PM »

…………. Authinx has hit road blocks after road blocks from manufacturing to software development.
This latest app Update is just another example of the frustration they are experiencing.
When/if a X10 skill comes out it will mostlikely be from an end user not Authinx I believe they have just about had enough with software developers.

When you think about it.... one of the greatest advancements in computers.... was merely Bill Gates convincing PC manufactures to all use his DOS. But even if X10 was to go with apps for iPhone users only.... they'd get nearly half of us.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 05:24:55 PM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 05:16:49 PM »

The dual OS apps is only part of the issue. The Developers obviously have a hard time with creating Apple apps as a small simple fix that should have taken a week or two at most, has stretched into months and they still didn't get it right. B:(

A simple web app on the WM100 is what should have been created not specific OS apps.
Amazon did this for Allexa, you don't need the app to get started however the apps seem to have a few more options then the web interface.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 06:47:08 AM »

X10's lack of an Alexa/GH interface is very short sighted and, sadly, makes X10 a 'dead in the water' choice for new users choosing a brand.  X10 cannot survive if all it does is try to serve it's existing shrinking base.  Production is one thing, but doing software development in China is a nightmare I've been through and Authinx seems to be learning that the hard way.

On a brighter note, I've been talking to a fellow who's developed what could ultimately be a simple X10/Alexa bridge using custom firmware that emulates a Belkin Wemo device on the venerable ESP8266.  The ESP8266 can also provide a serial output which could interface to a Firecracker or a Micromint PLIX serial to X10 chip and a TW-523. He originally developed it to operate 12 relays to connect to the Stargate's digital inputs to trigger X10 events.

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 08:16:33 AM »

X10's lack of an Alexa/GH interface is very short sighted...…

I'd love to think that the new X10 has a future business plan that has a practical plan for future growth and product development. I sure wish I saw more signs of that planning. 

On a brighter note, I've been talking to a fellow who's developed what could ultimately be a simple X10/Alexa bridge using custom firmware that emulates a Belkin Wemo device on the venerable ESP8266. ….

Belkin would be great (as a companion protocol with X10). Even if it meant getting Belkin to incorporate X10... in the Belkin hubs... (or the same with Wink or some other flavor of HA). I'd think HUE would be a natural for X10 to pair with (as a generic protocol). I am using several [protocols] different flavors of home automation right along with my larger X10 setup.

I think the RBPi 3B+..... is the near-use best chance bet, right now, (when paired with the old CM15A). I am currently using a Homeseer Hometroller which is essenually the same thing and it's awesome.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 08:40:25 AM »

I think the RBPi 3B+..... is the near-use best chance bet, right now, (when paired with the old CM15A). I am currently using a Homeseer Hometroller which is essenually the same thing and it's awesome.

Actualy any RBPI can be turned into a Amazon Alexa Voice, or Google Home device very simply.
Add to this some extra code and you have a truely universal X10 hub.
Adding a SBC to a CM15A is something I've been pushing towards with Authinx for some time now. I'm told they even presented this to the Factory and the Developer. However they were to research this and get back to Authinx on the cost of doing such a thing.
I've not heard any progress on this since, and given the time it takes to get things done in China I don't expect to hear anything any time soon.  B:(
My PI Zero W embedded CM15A was ment to be a proof of concept. I've since found a even more powerful SBC that fits inside a new CM15A. I intend to mod a new CM15A to use this for my off grid Place as my setup there requires more power then even the PI 3B+ can currently handle.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

BackAgain

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 10:55:21 AM »

The lyric:

'He know when you've been sleeping.
He knows when you're awake.
He knows when you've been bad or good.'

does NOT mean Jeff.

Ain't NO way I'll help it become that way.

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 11:53:19 AM »

He knows...…..
Ain't NO way I'll help it become that way.

2 simple honest undeniable points.

1.  Computers, software, algorithms, data.... are "things" and should not be referred to as he/she, as they are not a person. People have been dehumanized too much already. It is important that we (as humans) differentiate between ourselves and the machines we use.

I understand the fear of a lost of privacy (as well as a fear of heights, large dogs, and other such things). I also understand the difference between a rational fear... and a phobia, which is an irrational fear of or aversion. Knowing the difference is also important to preserving our humanity.

2.  The word "become" implies a future tense. Digital data capturing began YEARS ago... it is in fact a historical event. Your actions today, or at any point in the future, cannot and will not have any effect on past events. Although.... we can agree that such violations of privacy should had been (past tense) unlawful... they were NOT.

But un-ringing bells, and/or forcing Genies back into bottles... ain't gone'a happen.

Our best bet for the existing future.... which of course is the only one we will ever have.... is to abandon our irrational fears and manage the rational concerns. Right now.... we have a new chance to turn our backs to the Luddites and embrace a technology enhanced future.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 12:01:06 PM by HA Dave »

BackAgain

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 03:43:35 PM »

'He' refers to Jeff and his ambition to own all, be all, dominate all worldwide.

I ain't a'gonna help him.

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 05:53:57 PM »

'He' refers to Jeff and his ambition to own all, be all, dominate all worldwide.

I ain't a'gonna help him.

Jeff Bezos..... well that makes sense. Sorry... I misinterpeded that.

But I have no ill feeling towards rich people.... or poor people for that matter. It's hard to get to know either group. As I can't afford to hang with the ultra rich... and won't go to the places where the ultra poor reside.

We all read the (likely frabracated) stories about the celeibrity rich. I remember the days before Bill Gates hired a PR group to make him likeable.... he was genuinely hated by millions. Now... he's as likeable as his buddy Warren Buffett. I wonder if they use the same PR firm? In the BIG PICTURE..... statues should be erected to honor the global improvement to the lives of humans.... because of Bill Gates vision. And realistically... we may be too close (to the change) to see it now.... but some day we may be saying the same about Bezos.

Seriously... I don't think my getting a weather report from an echo device..... is going to make any change in Bezos life (and I positive Jeff isn't checking up on me)... but it does make a tiny improvement in my life.

Again.... sorry I jumped to the wrong conclusion about your post.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 05:55:31 PM by HA Dave »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.