Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3-way stopped working remotely  (Read 1185 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
3-way stopped working remotely
« on: August 27, 2018, 11:21:21 AM »

I had a 3-way switch (WS4777) stop working remotely yesterday.  I know the signal was being sent (tried a few RF and PLC transmitters) and it should have received since there was nothing on that circuit to eat the signal.  I've had a couple similar modules (newer, big dial type) overheat and melt plastic components recently, so I assumed the same here.  After replacing the module with an old hard-start type and confirming it functioned, I debugged the old one.

After pulling it apart, I found no problems.  I forgot about being careful with the shutoff switch and had to play with that for an extra 10m to get it back together.  In the end, I should have done the easiest thing first.  After reassembling and rotating both dials a few times, it worked just fine.

This is just a reminder to spin the dial a couple times before assuming the worst.    B:(

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: 3-way stopped working remotely
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 01:21:35 PM »

Thank you for the reminder.
We have seen others with poor contact House and Unit switches. That where on a different address than indicated. Spinning the dials a few times corrected the issue.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 10:52:09 AM »

I have other issues that I'm still working on, but I was surprised this one was should have been such an easy fix.  The other thing I'm running down is why one particular light keeps turning on during the day.  I thought it was a motion sensor freaking out, but nothing is set to that HU code.  I also covered the sensors with painters tape, but that might be blocking them fully.  I'll have to try spinning the HU wheels just in case.  That unit turns off remotely with the correct command, but I haven't found what's driving it on yet.  TBF, I'm not that concerned because I'm planning on changing that set of lights to automatic motion sensor units in the near future anyway.  At that point, it doesn't matter what's driving them on when the whole switch/motion sensor setup will be eliminated...

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 02:30:30 PM »

The other thing I'm running down is why one particular light keeps turning on during the day. 
I have same problem with a LED front door light. Seems to come back ON in the wee hours. It isn't a motion sensor, but I am looking at a Homeseer glitch. If you find your problem let us know what you find.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.