Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Please Use the forum for questions on the PiX10Hub!  (Read 11047 times)

edjal

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Please Use the forum for questions on the PiX10Hub!
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 03:42:13 PM »

Thanks Mike for your help. I really do appreciate Mr Tuicemen and your help otherwise I would be lost completely.  I entered "X10Hub" as a name into putty  and it opened the terminal at the end of the session I wrote down the IP 10.0.0.140 and it opens up a new HG program so I think HOPE I may finally have it. I have been playing with home genie software on my desktop for weeks trying to familiarize myself with it so I IMAGINE  I should delete that software from my PC? I had backed up all the x10 scenarios in HG so I am assuming I can use that backup to update the online HG to my x10 preferences. Your advice would be welcomed.

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 03:55:14 PM »

1) I entered "X10Hub" as a name into putty  and it opened the terminal at the end of the session I wrote down the IP 10.0.0.140
2) and it opens up a new HG program so I think HOPE I may finally have it.
3) I have been playing with home genie software on my desktop for weeks trying to familiarize myself with it so I IMAGINE  I should delete that software from my PC? I had backed up all the x10 scenarios in HG so I am assuming I can use that backup to update the online HG to my x10 preferences. Your advice would be welcomed.

my amateur replies (no expert here!):

1) I think when you entered x10hub that is the USER name for your pi computer itself (nothing to do with hg program yet)?   You then followed that up with a similar name for pw, right? Did you not see the PORT listed when you closed that menu?  like below...   it says the port - you use that after your IP in browser line after colon...
2) perhaps Juicemen updated his SD card image to do something I do not know.  After hitting <Finish> on mine it just goes to pi terminal text line.  I normally then just close that window, done with it, and go to a web browser to get to HG.
3) I too began with windows based HG.  I ultimately found its backups of no use to me:  it was great as a teaching tool as you have used it.  But once you get where it seems you are now, just open the real HG on your raspberry pi in a browser window (10.0.0.140:8080) and begin configuring it fresh would be my advice?

edjal

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2019, 04:16:33 PM »

Thank You Mike very helpful info. I really appreciate the help. Yes the address I used and posted follows your x10 Hub IP address is: Can I password protect my Hg configuration? After Configuring HG I would like to move X10s CM15a to another room so will unplugging and re plugging it while moving corrupt the Rpi? or HG?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 04:24:36 PM by edjal »

mike

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2019, 04:22:14 PM »

pw protecting your HG is a YES, you can do - but you must ask Tuicemen how - he is big into doing that.  Personally, I see no reason to since it is behind my firewall and NAT exchanger so there should be no way someone on the internet can get into my HG on my private intranet.  YOU too have a private intranet:  your 10.0.xxxx   is PRIVATE.

It may be I am too naive or ignorant to understand why one would need to PW protect stuff on their private internal home network.  No one has yet explained to me in a way that makes enough sense for me to do so... 

I told you I was not an expert!

mike

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2019, 04:26:11 PM »

I hope you soon expand your experience with HG to take you to next level questions about how to set timers, do IF-THEN stuff!  You will grow to the point of having HG EMAIL you if a door opens when it should not!  More crazy fancy stuff as you get up the curve!  You are in for a bumpy by fun ride!  I hope you enjoy it!

PS:  sounds like you have a sorta (or more) working Pi system?   Have you made a backup image of your SD card yet?  Do not neglect that!  Do it my friend...  often as you make cool improvements/changes.  Also HG has a built in backup routine you should be doing as you get more functionality in it (IIRC it is under maintenance menu).

edjal

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2019, 04:43:39 PM »

Thank you Mike for all your help you may not be an expert but what knowledge you do have was very helpful to me!  So anyone interested in advising me how to do a SD of Pi  backup and whether or not I can move the CM15a to another room without consequences would be much appreciated.

mike

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2019, 06:53:49 PM »

Hey when I have time to try to help, I'm in.

PI micro-SD card backup:  how I and many others do it:  remove SD card (see below for comments on how to do that nicely), put in your windows computer.  Download free program ImageUSB (https://imageusb.en.uptodown.com/windows).  it will copy a complete SD card to an image file you store on your windows computer...  if you need to make a replacement SD card, you ue it to WRITE to a new SD card the image you previously saved.

AS for moving youur CM15 to another room, no problem!  Your PI is only tied to a power cord and communicates via wifi to your network.   So move it anywhere you have wifi connection!    Of course beware that 1/2 your house is on one side of the 220v , so your results may vary.   :)

As for removing your SD card from PI:  You SHOULD power down your PI at leas before removing it...  How?  when you quit the putty program and are back at the putty pi command line, type in "sudo POWEROFF"  IIRC _ may be wrong.  Wait for it to shut off (10 seconds or so), then ull SD card.

edjal

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2019, 07:13:28 PM »

Mike I cant thank you enough.  I also really appreciate Mr Tuicemens assistance that he has patiently helped me with over the years with  AHP and Home Genie issues.   #:) >!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2019, 07:11:20 AM »

@ mike thanks for jumping in thats what the forum is for to get different perspectives and alternate wording do help.

@adjal glade to see your up and running.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

edjal

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2019, 11:15:03 AM »

one other quick question when I move my CM15 to another room I also have to unplug power to Rpi.  I guess pi power down is not necessary, but if it is what is the recommended procedure to power pi back up?

mike

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2019, 11:31:02 AM »

I guess pi power down is not necessary, but if it is what is the recommended procedure to power pi back up?

Power up is simple - just plug back into power!

BUT!  Many say NEVER power down without doing the powerdown command in PUtty first!  Again, I may not remember right but I think it is   

sudo poweroff

If I am wrong hopefully someone will correct me!

edjal

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2019, 01:37:05 PM »

Thanks Mike I'm probably being overly cautious but it has been a long road to this point and I am trying to avoid any more setbacks. I will use the power down method prior to moving my device.  Thanks so much.

mike

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2019, 02:36:58 PM »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2019, 03:59:55 PM »

Mike is not being overly cautious.
We have reports of corrupted SD cards by not properly shutting down properly.
I believe the software writes some data it has in RAM back to the SD card before shutting down.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2019, 04:57:21 PM »

I use "sudo shutdown now"
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.