Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: What is the definition of AI here?  (Read 10139 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: What is the definition of AI here?
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2019, 06:50:21 PM »

How do we put an end to this. Take a vote?
I say Alexa, Google, etc are not AI, not even close.
What would be the vote question? And answer options, just simple yes/no answers?
Adding a Poll is a simple task.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2019, 09:54:21 PM »

the little Smartenit G2 device I'm playing with is cloud controlled with X10, Insteon & Zigbee built in (plus others) and an Alexa skill.

I am using a Homeseer (thanks to racerfern). I also use other stuff (a wide variety) . But everything integrates using the Alexa app (and devices). 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2019, 10:06:09 PM »

How do we put an end to this. Take a vote?

That is how it's done at the industry standardization meetings! Unfortunately... I haven't been asked to join any.  I'd guess at this point... based on favorability and popularity (not to mention money to throw around)…. Amazon is likely running the home automation industry at this time.

But we could vote on a new name for Americium-241. I mean why not... we are a bunch of guys on the Internet... what else do we need to know?

HA Dave

« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2019, 10:14:51 PM »

….. So your suggesting I should be scared of Alexa, or any Voice Assistants?

Fear is part of the human condition. Fear is as much a part of people.... as is blood. But I don't recommend you live like that (either in fear or denial)… there just isn't any reason to live/think like that. Why would it matter to Amazon... if you don't think their unimaginably successful AI product meets your approval? Trust me.... you aren't making Amazon look foolish.

HA Dave

« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2019, 10:26:42 PM »

I still stand by my previous statement, AI is the ability to make a correct statement based on a question...…... but ask a question that requires one second of thougt...

Whos thought? Alexa can answer the question: "when is my next Dentist Appointment" (or doctors appointment, etc..). Alexa knows to look in my calendar to look that stuff up. Alexa can even count the days till the appointment... or days till Christmas. Tonight.... strangely enough... Alexa responded conversationally. I knew Google could do that but I hadn't realized Alexa could do that yet. She/it grows by the day. Alexa operates on a learning platform (or so I've read)… which in itself makes Alexa AI.

You get back from technology... in accordance to your investment. If you haven't seen the AI yet... you haven't looked hard enough.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 10:49:02 PM by HA Dave »

HA Dave

« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2019, 10:44:48 PM »

I have several automation products and protocols. They all (X10 included with the WM-100) have apps that run on my iPhone. There are 14 automation apps on my phone. Through their own apps they all work individually. But through the Alexa app (one of the 14)…. they all integrate and work together.

I can no longer imagine my setup... without that integration. For the life of me... I can't imagine why others avoid this.

James G

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2019, 07:23:28 AM »

Here we go Again! >*< >*<
I never said "IA" doesn't exist!
I said my definition of AI was different then yours and I guess your so called experts!
I don't consider Alexa or any voice assistant AI (yet).

So your suggesting I should be scared of Alexa, or any Voice Assistants?
Or should I be scared of "IA" what ever that is? rofl

I do have 1 concern about Alexa. I was going to connect my Calendar but 1 of the permissions I had to give Alexa was to delete my calendar. I am not willing to do that.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 03:03:19 PM by Tuicemen »

James G

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2019, 07:37:53 AM »

It appears that there are many definitions of AI (Artificial Intelligence). Companies like to claim AI as it adds to their products. We each have our own definition and a right to it. Mine is: "Artificial general intelligence".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_general_intelligence

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2019, 08:03:22 AM »

….. So your suggesting I should be scared of Alexa, or any Voice Assistants?

Fear is part of the human condition. Fear is as much a part of people.... as is blood. But I don't recommend you live like that (either in fear or denial)… there just isn't any reason to live/think like that. Why would it matter to Amazon... if you don't think their unimaginably successful AI product meets your approval? Trust me.... you aren't making Amazon look foolish.
I realy dont understand where you read i dont aprove of Alexa or that Im trying to make Amazon look foolish. :o ::)
Is anyone else seeing that?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2019, 09:30:04 AM »

….. I realy dont understand where you read i dont aprove of Alexa or that Im trying to make Amazon look foolish. :o ::)

Deductive reasoning? I am actually just following YOUR lead. After you post what YOU assume are my thoughts (and they never are)… I reply with what appears to be your thoughts. Only instead of just insults made-up mostly out of whole cloth..... I add highlighted quotes.

But to explain my post.... Amazon claims their Echo devices (and their cloud-base learning software) to be true AI (made for the home). And all the industry (and grammar) experts agree. So..... who looks foolish or tin-foil-hat-ish when they make-up their own definition(s)… in contradiction to prevailing standards? 

HA Dave

« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2019, 10:00:28 AM »

……. We each have our own definition and a right to it.

In America.... we have a free and democratic language! Not so in most nations.... maybe... because people often tend to abuse language. You know... using words outside of their definition. Therefore putting standardization's and even basic communications.... at risk. Some would think... that freedom also requires adult behavior. I know... it was all a lot easier back-in-the-day... when the average person had a vocabulary of 5000 words or less. But we can't roll back time. 

It's hard to believe... that someone who is concerned about search engines finding the proper site/post... would also be haphazard about their own use of words within their post. As the proper noun is just one example of the importance of proper word [definition] use for searching. As an example: If everyone on this one Site used the term SW (for self-aware) or AGI (for Artificial general intelligence) instead of AI.... then NONE of our posts about what everyone else refers to as AI.... would ever show-up in a search about Artificial Intellgence.

How about we use SW this month... then next month use AGI. Then in May I suggest we use the term FS (for Fake Smarts). This way we can REALLY screw-up the X10 data base of Home Automation knowledge.

I know this post might sound condescending (that means... talking down to the OP)…. but please accept the post with the real plain English humor intended.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 10:34:51 AM by HA Dave »

HA Dave

« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2019, 10:44:23 AM »

I do have 1 concern about Alexa. I was going to connect my Calendar but 1 of the permissions I had to give Alexa was to delete my calendar. I am not willing to do that.

Computers are great calculators. But they also excel at..... and now-a-days are mostly used for communications. All networks evolve around permissions. If the X10 forum didn't give people permission to post.... how effective would it be? If you don't enable your computing device with permissions.... it won't work.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2019, 11:08:51 AM »

Whos thought? Alexa can answer the question: "when is my next Dentist Appointment" (or doctors appointment, etc..). Alexa knows to look in my calendar to look that stuff up. Alexa can even count the days till the appointment... or days till Christmas. Tonight.... strangely enough... Alexa responded conversationally. I knew Google could do that but I hadn't realized Alexa could do that yet. She/it grows by the day. Alexa operates on a learning platform (or so I've read)… which in itself makes Alexa AI.

I'm pretty sure if you ask the office paperclip when your dentist appointment is, it can check your calendar.  See, you've been using AI since the mid 1990's!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Assistant

IMO (and apparently the world outside of HA Dave), if it's simply searching a database and responding based on simple rules, that is not AI.  If my dentist appt wasn't on the calendar and Clippy had been able to scour the scary internets and whatever dark webs my personal data had been sold on, maybe that would be AI.   rofl

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2019, 11:27:41 AM »

IMO (and apparently the world outside of HA Dave), if it's simply searching a database and responding based on simple rules, that is not AI.

I agree with you that simply searching a database and echoing what was found in a pleasing voice is not AI.  But using that information to answer a question not directly addressed in the database could be.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:46:35 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.