Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: CM15A only turns things off not on?  (Read 4604 times)

DrJimM5

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM15A only turns things off not on?
« on: January 15, 2020, 05:58:45 AM »

Apologies if protocol breach as I am new here. Due to new PC and Windows 10 the last control program and module I used was not compatible. A relative of mine who has been using the Activehome Pro and CM15A sourced one for me on eBay and gave it to me, As part of the new PC set up my installer downloaded the software and after all was complete I connected the hub via USB to the PC and proceeded to enter my X10 items into the program. All of that went smoothly and I was able to turn them on/off manually in the Modules section. From there I proceeded to set up Timers since all the things I control are light switches or outlets. I use all 16 of the A house codes and some have multiple items being controlled in the same code (A3 for instance). So on that very first night after all the entry and downloading to the hub, which properly showed status bar and completion box, all of my light turned off. However on the next day I was surprised to find not a single light came on. After turning those on manually through the program, they also went off as programmed. Since that time and regardless of how I may try to get the lights to be automatically turned on be it set time or related to dusk, no light will turn on unless done manually. I have tried leaving the hub connected to the PC and also putting the hub elsewhere. Since the automatic turn off happens consistently when connected to the PC and the outlet nearby, I assume that isn't the problem.  Final info is that my software is unregistered and I have not put batteries into the hub.  Thank you for any help!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: CM15A only turns things off not on?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 06:13:44 AM »

What version of Active Home Pro are you using? 3.318 is the latest revision..

Are you using LM465 Lamp Modules or dimmer style X10 wall switches?
Are they new enough to be Soft Start that ramp On and Off?
If they are older ones they do not have soft start. You have to define them in the Lamps (No Soft Start) tab. If you used the Lamps tab with modules not Soft Start. They will not process the extended X10 commands to turn them on but would turn Off.

DrJimM5

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 09:30:10 AM »

I am using the most current version. Most of my switches are Decora style by Leviton and others but generally old to older.  I also have hard-wired outlets (no plug-in lamp modules) also old/older.  I have a few X10 Pro XPS4 also since I have started using X10 Pro products for replacement when an older one went bad.  So you are saying the ramp-up could be the problem and that the signal for "off" is different and that could be my problem?  That is easy enough to test as I will now delete a few and add back in an "older module" in the program and then see what happens. Also, if all my switches respond to manual use in the program the signal sent out for automation is different?  TY!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 09:32:10 AM by DrJimM5 »

LostDog88

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 10:04:41 AM »

Yes. The codes sent to the switches are different.
Honestly. IMO. Spend the 50 bucks on a Pi and get HomeGenie. Or use one of those older computers you have laying around doing nothing. LOL
I had AHP and it in no way compares to what HomeGenie can do. If you are looking to just turn some lights on and off with a schedule you will be a lot happier with a Pi and HG. Everything to do basic home automation is already done for you. Just make an SD card and then pop it in your Pi and download HG. Takes me about 1 hour or so to setup all of it.
IMO.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 12:53:53 PM »

Apologies if protocol breach as I am new here. Due to new PC and Windows 10 the last control program and module I used was not compatible.

I'm assuming that whatever you used to use was a 16 bit program that won't run on your new WIN 10 64 bit machine.  If you still have the old system and prefer to continue using it, there are two options; run a virtual machine on your WIN 10 PC, or; use an old laptop running a 32bit version of WIN 7 or 10.  The latter is what I do for my 20 year old Stargate system which only needs the old laptop for making program changes. You can pick up a nice laptop with a 32 bit version of WIN 10 for $182 on ebay.

Moving on to the CM15A, you say that from AHP you can manually turn everything ON and OFF. That, and the fact that the outlets don't turn ON either, leads me to believe that extended code isn't the issue nor do you have a signal integrity issue.  The only difference I see is that you can't get them to turn ON via the timer.  Have I got that right?  If so, and I'm NOT an AHP expert, I'd look at the way the timers are set up, particulary if there are dusk/dawn conditionals involved. Correct timezone and location?  I assume you have the manual but if not it's here: http://www.authinx.com/manuals/X10/CM15A.pdf

Try creating a test timer with an outlet or an appliance module set to come on soon and then off a minute later and let us know what happens.

DrJimM5

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 03:24:35 PM »

brobin TY for the insight and yes we considered running the virtual machine or laptop. I'm trying to move forward into whatever century we're in. However, due to the fact that I have like 20 wired in switches or outlets it would be very time consuming and costly to do considering I'm not expecting to stay in the house for too much longer.  As it relates to setting up the timer, I'm pretty sure I got it right and did every combination of set hour vs. dusk vs. 12/24 clock and you name it. At this point it could be as LostDog88 says in that the timer signal and the one I send manually are different. It could be I'm missing something or it could be my unit is defective.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 03:47:26 PM »

What version of AHP do you have installed. You really should register your AHP using Ahp Lifejacket.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

DrJimM5

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 03:52:41 PM »

3.318 I think is most current and what I have. What is AHP Lifejacket?

brobin

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 04:04:41 PM »

You might try setting a module to a different Housecode and creating a timer for that. Just a shot in the dark but simple enough to try. Did you clear the memory before setting up your timers? That's particularly important if this is a used unit.  If those don't help I'll have to defer to someone with more AHP knowledge. 

The CM15A isn't really a "this century" item so if you'd like to try something newer with more functions that's really more "plug 'n play" I've been touting the Smartenit Harmony P2 or G2. It supports X10 (albeit without extended codes which it sounds like you don't need), Insteon and ZigBee devices. Timer setup is done with an Android or IOS app or through a web portal.  It's compatible with Alexa & Google Home too. The P2 with a 2412U PLM is available at www.smartenit.com for $75.  I'm using one with my Stargate to provide Alexa control.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 05:21:04 PM »

several user reported strange things with unregistered AHP.
 AHP-Lifejacket will register AHP and give you a couple of the more popular plugins.
You realy need AHP registered before we try to trouble shoot, AHP-Lifejacket will do that.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=28994.0
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

DrJimM5

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 09:26:22 AM »

several user reported strange things with unregistered AHP.
 AHP-Lifejacket will register AHP and give you a couple of the more popular plugins.
You realy need AHP registered before we try to trouble shoot, AHP-Lifejacket will do that.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=28994.0

Do you have a working link for Lifejacket?  All of the links on your page appear to be down. 

Thanks.

brobin

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 09:41:54 AM »

Click on AHP LIFEJACKET in the first message.  You may have to register by sending him a message before it'll download.

http://forums.tuicemen.net/index.php?topic=937.msg8167#new

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 09:51:19 AM »

The link should be fixed now on this forum in the thread I linked to.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

DrJimM5

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 08:17:35 PM »

Installed the AHP LJ and it's registered but lights did not come on as scheduled. Thoughts now?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2020, 06:47:33 AM »

What modules are you using and how are thet configured (specified) in AHP.  Are these lamps or ceiling lights? Supply some screen shots if you can as this may show something.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.