Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HomeGenie Network Down???  (Read 5951 times)

edjal

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
HomeGenie Network Down???
« on: January 24, 2020, 08:13:19 AM »

It looks like HG network is down. Cant reach Hg or cant logon using puttyeither. 

edjal

Re: HomeGenie Network Down???
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 08:25:10 AM »

can some confirm HG network is down??

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 09:01:22 AM »

It's all LAN based, no dependence on external servers so the only network down is your own ISP provided one. You do understand that.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 09:25:36 AM »

You may have suffered a power blip in the night that would have powered off your pi Unless you had it on a UPS.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 09:27:32 AM »

You do understand that HG on the Raspberry Pi is the server. The client in your case is the Windows 10 PC you use to access it. The client makes a call to the server via the web frontend, the web browser. Once you grasp that concept you realise your problem lies with the Raspberry Pi/HG if you can't access it. It helps to understand server basics when using a program like HG.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 09:38:56 AM »

You may have suffered a power blip in the night that would have powered off your pi Unless you had it on a UPS.

Once you apply power to a RPI it powers up. No switches here. The HG service daemon is set for restart=always so a power outage and reconnection wouldn't be a reason for RPI not starting and HG not launching. In some rare cases you may get file corruption that could prevent it starting.

It's understanding the basics of server technology that helps troubleshooting problems. The tools are there to be used to do this. Firstly, a simple Putty into the Pi to see if it's accessible. If so a sudo systemctl status homegenie.service to see if HG is running.

I think the lack of basic server knowledge in relation to how HG functions would be at the root of the users problem. I've given him two pointers as to what to check for but this information is all over the web for anyone to see.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 10:15:00 AM »

Actually I've had my Pi3b+ power down from a quick blip and not power back up. But that may be due to the lose USB port. In any case unplugging it and plugging it back it brought it back to life.
As you state a corrupt SD card is more likely with a power blip.
With so many Home Automation (smart) devices depending on web (cloud) servers it is easy to see how a novice could confuse the HG server and more so for the HA-Bridge server as it communicates with the Amazon server (if allowed)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

edjal

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 10:40:01 AM »

Ok I thank you for your suggestions. I did a visual of the Pi and the led is lit. when I went to bed all was OK.  I am not able to logon using putty for a status check. I am hesitant to unplug then re plug in at this point w/o first doing a sudo shutdown.  What do you recommend at this point? It looks like my only option is to unplug pi then repower.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 10:45:02 AM »

since you can't log in I'd check your network using a tool like advanced port scanner.
it will show if the pi is online and what IP it is using.
if you never set up IP reservations in your router a power blip in the night would have also shut it down and on rebooting reassigned IP addresses.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

edjal

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 10:56:26 AM »

Thank you tuicemen for your assistance. I used my xfinity menu wifi devices connected, to check if online and the raspberry Pi is not connected. Last connected over 7 hours ago.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 11:04:20 AM »

the next step you could possibly do is connect a HDMI if handy and see if the pi is displaying.
if it is you could disconnect the Cm15 and connect a keyboard to shut down.
I suspect your SD card may be damaged :( (hope not) I hope you've a back up just in case.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

edjal

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 11:05:24 AM »

Thank You petera I appreciate your advice.  I did check to see If web browsing was available to me prior to posting and It was so my ISP is OK. I am appreciative of explanation of LAN connection explanation it ggives me a clearer pic of HG

edjal

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 11:18:40 AM »

I don't have a backup yet I had just installed your buster ver a few days ago and I was still configuring my scheduler and modules. Yesterday I was just monitoring my HG for its response to my scheduler. I had three events turn off one at 10:30pm Ext light, another at 11pm turn off famrm lamp and lastly one more at 11:05pm turn off furnace, all were successful. I went to bed as all seemed to be OK. for your info I used sd formatter to format the sd before download. 

edjal

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 11:23:26 AM »

I will attempt the HDMI cable setup and get back to you.

edjal

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 11:51:50 AM »

here is a notebook debug that just showed up on my desktop. Could this be related to problem if so what does it mean?
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.