Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: On the cheap  (Read 3604 times)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: On the cheap
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2020, 10:28:43 AM »

As much as I'd like to see them succeed it won't happen without a major investment.

Not just investment.  There seems to be a vested interest in producing just what they currently sell.  Years ago I tried to transition the XTB-IIR and XTB-ANR to X10 for production.  I sent samples of both units for their evaluation.  I was asked to justify to China why they should produce them when they were already manufacturing their own repeater and noise reducer.  I also designed a tiny module that allows a 2-wire X10 switch to operate CFL or LED lights when no neutral is available.  It is an active circuit that emulates a tungsten filament, but consumes virtually no power.  That seems to have died on the vine.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2020, 10:55:54 AM »

It seems that the tail (China) is wagging the dog (X10)! :'

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2020, 04:06:12 PM »

But that's inevitable. .......... As much as I'd like to see them succeed it won't happen without a major investment.

Not just investment.  There seems to be a vested interest in producing just what they currently sell.
Jeff

And that's (there is) the problem. Few businesses can remain static in the way they do business. Everything is always in a state of change. With technology related products the change is dynamic. I don't know anyone in/at X10 (new or old)... or who the next owners may be. But I do know two complete different lines of products are NOT unusual. X10 could embrace the new and still sell the old as well.

Sooner would have been better... I agree. But I hate the idea of X10 coming crashing down... yet once again.     

BTW.... I was in Sam's Club today. And just maybe that no name Atomi el-cheapie stuff might be around a while after all.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 04:08:13 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

brobin

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2020, 04:38:19 PM »

BTW.... I was in Sam's Club today. And just maybe that no name Atomi el-cheapie stuff might be around a while after all.

Not at that price!  rofl

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2020, 04:48:37 PM »

Yep, the modules will be around alright but will they still be on the shelves at Sams club or working in someones setup or door stops. rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2020, 01:29:21 AM »

Yep, the modules will be around alright but will they still be on the shelves at Sams club or working in someones setup or door stops. rofl

Maybe. But then again.... are you comparing this outfit (with resources that got the worlds largest retailers attention) with X10? Did you notice that those plugs even have built-in, always on, USB device chargers. Worth the cost of the modules even if they fail. For anyone that wants to try out AI, and/or Wifi automation.... cheap admission. They compare well with the price of light bulbs.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2020, 07:39:20 AM »

Nope wifi outlet modules are a dime a dozen. You can get usb plugs at the dollar store for just that too.
I've played with many wifi devices over the years and my x10 modules are far more reliable.( belive it or not). These aren't inexpensive no name modules they are however a little know brand name. They're nothing special as far as I'm  concerned anything can be made to work with a voice assistants now. The esp chip and boards inside these are just pennies. If I were to go the wifi route I'd stick with my Wemo or Sonoff (which other then my solar tracker sit in boxes).
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2020, 09:28:19 PM »

.......The esp chip and boards inside these are just pennies.

Exactly! Every maker of any and everything electronics relayed is producing these device (I would imagine through a 3rd party vendor). And EVERY business of any type/size has servers. So the apps/skills/etc. is all a nothing burger for cost and expertise. Like USB and phone accessorizes found in Dollar Stores.... these devices are everywhere.

What makes Home Automation "Automated" is the software.... or in the modern world... the server software. And what your still calling voice assistance.... has long been a product integrator.

These items aren't selling by the pallet, or even the truck, ship, or warehouse full. This is now a multi-BILLION dollar industry.   

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2020, 11:03:22 AM »

These cost about the same amount as Sonoff stuff and have questions.  Sonoff are still around after several years and have a community that has developed aftermarket firmware to extend their capabilities.  If iTead shuts down their severs, you can use the modules however you want.  IMO, if I were going to invest $5/module to play with WiFi control, Sonoff would be my route.  I wouldn't buy clearance cloud devices, but I guess I'm the one that's a boomer.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2020, 12:32:16 PM »

Sonoff also has tons of different modules,outlets,switches even controled usb adaptors and other devices. Each time I check their site they seem to have someting new. rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2020, 02:11:36 PM »

As long as they remain ESP based, they will remain an open source option for those who want more or reach end of cloud life.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2020, 03:19:00 PM »

Sonoff also has tons of different modules,outlets,switches even controled usb adaptors and other devices.

The fact that they offer a temperature and humidity sensor to monitor real-world conditions is interesting.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2020, 04:13:45 PM »

As much as I'd like to see them succeed it won't happen without a major investment.

Not just investment.  There seems to be a vested interest in producing just what they currently sell.  Years ago I tried to transition the XTB-IIR and XTB-ANR to X10 for production.  I sent samples of both units for their evaluation.  I was asked to justify to China why they should produce them when they were already manufacturing their own repeater and noise reducer.  I also designed a tiny module that allows a 2-wire X10 switch to operate CFL or LED lights when no neutral is available.  It is an active circuit that emulates a tungsten filament, but consumes virtually no power.  That seems to have died on the vine.

Jeff

Desperate to see someone with the technical knowledge required to propagate the technology being ignored in favour of those who think they understand the marketplace. They were never going to succeed with their WM100 in isolation and clearly whatever they were thinking of next, well that ship has well and truly sailed. So many alternative solutions available now.

Such a shame to see your solution for the use of CFL and LED lighting ignored. Effectively they have managed to kill off any hope of an X10 resurrection and as @bkenobi states those left using X10 have an ample supply of spares via eBay now that users are junking their X10 setup so whatever X10 wise arrives on the market I don't see anyone queuing up to buy it.

HA Dave

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2020, 01:09:16 PM »

IMO, if I were going to invest $5/module to play with WiFi control, Sonoff would be my route. 

SONOFF also makes Zigbee controlled Smart Plugs. Works with SmartThings, or.... (without another Hub) Amazon Echo Plus. I use some Zigbee stuff here already. And the Sonoff are a decently low price. 

brobin

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2020, 03:06:45 PM »

IKEA has Zigbee smart plugs for $10 (Tradfri) that are said to act as repeaters as well. I just picked up a couple to try out with my Smartenit Harmony.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.