Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: AnyPi PiX10Hub Installer Discussion  (Read 10622 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
AnyPi PiX10Hub Installer Discussion
« on: February 01, 2020, 06:55:48 PM »

There is a discussion thread for the older versions of the PiX10Hub installers.( http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30715.0 )
However I figured it would be best to start a new thread to discuss the newest version so new users don't get confused.
This removes:
The preconfigured X10 HG setup HG is loaded as if you loaded it from scratch.
The X10Hub Splash screen ( was only visible if you had a HDMI screen attached anyways)
The current software packages included:
 HomeGenie (the Main component for your HA setup)
 HA-Bridge (adds Alexa control to any configured Homegenie device you've named and more)
 Midnight Commander (a Raspbian file manager tool).

I was only able to confirm the image works correctly on a couple of pi boards so If you try it on a different one and it works or doesn't let me know and I'll update the list of compatible boards. By rights it should work on any Pi board that the Buster Raspbian build  will run on. ::) :'
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 11:40:29 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
Re: AnyPi PiX10Hub Installer Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 08:30:11 AM »

There still seems to be some confusion with this ::) :' many are over thinking the install. It can't be made any simpler. You make the SD card put it in your pi make your pi connections and power it up. Configuration screen auto opens and you set your info using the  connected keyboard viewing on a conected monitor when done pi reboots auto loads HomeGenie and related packages. Once done the pi tells you the Port and IP HomeGenie is on.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 12:38:51 PM »

Currently the PiX10Hub (Buster versions2&3) displays the IP and default ports for HA-Bridge and HomeGenie but only for a Wi-Fi connection. If you haven't configured a wi-fi  connection it only shows the port numbers which can confuse new users.
This was left over from the original PiX10Hub (zero W) installer.
If an Ethernet cable was attached the IP is shown but prior to the complete OS load. This can be overlooked. ::) :'
 -:) I'll add some code to show a wired connected IP if no wi-fi is configured. If no network connection is detected at all, I'll also add a message to inform of that.
Since a network connection is required to install (and some seem to over look that), I'll also add the no network connection detect to prevent the PiX10Hub from installing if no connection is detected.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 01:49:54 PM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again - You do more in a day than most corporations do in a year!  #:) >! :)%

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 03:29:20 PM »

rofl Thanks, but  that only happens with feed back!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 04:54:38 PM »

The new version 4 is now available. I has the no network connection catch added and will allow you to re-enter the Raspi-Config screen  with a simple "y" button press if no network connection is detected.
This will allow users to re-enter a wi-fi configurations info. The installer will auto reboot afterwards so the wi-fi configuration can load for the setup.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Moose

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 06:34:25 PM »

I have tried to write the version 3 image twice to a new 32 Gb SD card and got errors both times. Check sums do not match. Thoughts???  B:( :)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 08:12:15 PM »

Try version, 4 did you format prior?
It is possible you downloaded while I was switching versions, a corrupt download would also mean a check sum miss match, both would cause a write failure.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 08:25:15 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Moose

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 08:42:48 PM »

That could have been it. I did download version 3 a 2nd time, but it failed as well. Version 4 worked though. Thanks. >!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2020, 09:02:36 PM »

I Download and configured my SD card (on the 7th) just prior to your latest release.

My failure to read and follow directions caused me to re-image/etch my SD again this morning.

For... whatever reason my IP address did NOT show-up on the screen/display as expected. However... I was able to find the IP address via my router (using my laptop). While logged-on to the router I reserved the IP for the Pi... ensuring that I could find it later.

With the X10Hub displayed on my Man-Cave TV I used my laptop to access the HA Bridge. Of course I still don't know how to set this up. But my hat is off to Tuicemen. This is pretty darn nice for someone as incapable with this Pi stuff as myself.

So.... where do I go to learn how to add X10 devices and get the Bridge recognized by my Echo-Amazon devices and such? 

Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 06:18:20 AM »

First you need to go to the HomeGenie server in your browser, in your case it looks like it would be 192.168.1.143:8080. From there setup your x10 devices and interface name your devices to how you wish to control them with Alexa. see the HomeGenie tutorial section for help. There are a few step by step write ups by different users as well videos
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?board=174.0
Once you have HomeGenie configure return to HA-Bridge (location you posted) then view the HA-Bridge tutorial section where I posted a walk through.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30664.0
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 06:20:21 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Moose

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 09:37:34 AM »

During the config, I was able to select Timezone as Toronto but not sure what to pick for Locale. I am in Canada Eastern timezone, GMT-5.

Update, does en_CA.UTF-8 sound correct?

Also, the pi reported HG to be on port 8080, but it seems to be on port 80. Which port might the HA-Bridge be on?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 10:00:31 AM by Moose »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 11:27:56 AM »

During the config, I was able to select Timezone as Toronto but not sure what to pick for Locale. I am in Canada Eastern timezone, GMT-5.

Update, does en_CA.UTF-8 sound correct?
correct
Also, the pi reported HG to be on port 8080, but it seems to be on port 80. Which port might the HA-Bridge be on?
if HG is on port 80 then HA-Bridge failed to load in correct sequence for some reason  open HG in a browser and change it's port to 8080 then restart HG.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 11:41:51 AM »

initial HG page will look like the attached. close the about box then click configure then maintenance  then HTTP settings then change port. type in 8080 then scroll back to service restart and click restart. close that page and open a new one with the HG ip & new port
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2020, 12:34:47 PM »

I was able to find/locate the HomeGenie program/page/demo setup screen.

I loaded some modules and they do work with a click of a mouse (from my laptop access control).

I am pleased with the progress (but... I do get frustrated with some of this stuff). I am going to take a break and run some errands for now. 
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.