Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: AnyPi PiX10Hub Installer Discussion  (Read 10734 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: AnyPi PiX10Hub Installer Discussion
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2020, 10:27:45 AM »

My failed again when adding devices. Now all I get when I try to access the HA Bridge is this:
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Moose

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2020, 09:18:45 AM »

Well, I thought that I might just start over from scratch. I quick formatted my SD card and tried to reload the image. This is the 2nd chip in a row where, after one use, the SD card is reported as bad!! B:( Anyone else stumbled on this? Is Etcher killing the chips?

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2020, 10:52:01 AM »

Is Etcher killing the chips?
I would have said no, but it appears that Etcher has in the past potentially had a similar issue to yours.

https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/issues/1426

Moose

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2020, 01:25:29 PM »

Update- I tried all sorts of techniques to evaluate the SD card including cleaning and formatting and could not really find anything wrong with it. I played with this program as well...   
 https://www.partitionwizard.com/disk-recovery/sd-card-repair-tool.html
It is free. I repartitioned, reformatted and checked all the memory sectors and could find nothing wrong, even though Windows kept finding fault.
I went ahead and reimaged the SD card and installed. so far, it seems OK. HG and HA-bridge are running.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2020, 11:37:50 AM »

My failed again when adding devices. Now all I get when I try to access the HA Bridge is this:
looks like the HA-Bridge service has stopped for some reason you can restart it with sudo systemctl start ha-bridge.service
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 08:15:58 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2020, 11:40:21 AM »

I went ahead and reimaged the SD card and installed. so far, it seems OK. HG and HA-bridge are running.
glad to see your running again it is possible to use windowsdiskimage writer however you'd have to unzip the image prior to writing.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2020, 02:45:31 PM »

February 14th 3:40 PM. I have a working PiX10Hub. 

I have done nothing else (with great thanks to Tuicemen and the many other Pi experts here and at other forums) other than add 3 modules with on/off control via Alexa. Not a great accomplishment form MY standpoint but a great accomplishment for those who worked so hard so as to make this possible for ANY (every) X10 user who wishes to bring there X10 setups into the AI world.

>!  #:)  :)+  :)%  :)%  :)%

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2020, 03:49:27 PM »

You realy shouldn't group me with the Pi experts, they deserve all the credit for this. With out their input I doubt I would have stuck with this.
Glad to see your making head way.
Don't get discouraged there are so many cool things that can be done with HomeGenie and HA-Bridge. Alexa control is just a small but powerful possibility. Make a back up SD card of your setup so you have something to fall back on if you mess something up while playing arround. ;)
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2020, 07:52:49 PM »

Glad to see your making head way.

Not making headway. I am done. I entered every module/switch into the HomeGenie/HA Bridge that I had used in Homeseer. Had Alexa discover them and was up and running.

Don't get discouraged there are so many cool things that can be done with HomeGenie and HA-Bridge. Alexa control is just a small but powerful possibility.

HomeGenie does seem to have lots of "programming possibilities" available.... as does Homeseer (which it will be replacing). But I don't believe either have the many advantages that can only be achieved with some cloud processing. I am a big fan of the cloud for serious automation-integration.

When adding all the switches and modules (into homegenie) I realized.... I had no-longer even remembered the names of some of these devices. Or even the group names in one case. As many of the devices are triggered by events (like a Harmony remote button-push). Or just a part of a larger group.   

Make a back up SD card of your setup so you have something to fall back on if you mess something up while playing around.

I picked up (Amazon delivered) an extra 16gig memory card... just for that. But to be honest... I don't know how to make a "back-up" other than to flash a new setup and run with that.

But back-ups are BIG in ALL my set-ups. (I mean... I have a gassed-up and ready snowblower in my garage right now.... smack in the middle of global warming!) So now I have a Homeseer pi and an piX10Hub (both are Pi's). I haven't decided which one to make "the spare".... but HomeGenie does seem a little more user friendly than Homeseer.

But I feel confident now that I (or ANYBODY) can assemble the PiX10Hub so I don't have to give a failure of either Pi unit a 2nd thought. Although.... the two units don't play well together... so it will be "either/or". Plus.... I once lost bunches of stuff because of a lighting strike in the backyard. So.... it's comforting to know I have "spares".

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2020, 08:37:03 PM »

But I don't believe either have the many advantages that can only be achieved with some cloud processing. I am a big fan of the cloud for serious automation-integration.

You should be able to integrate Alexa into most HS. Are you limited on the plugins of the Zee S2?

HA Dave

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2020, 09:22:12 PM »

But I don't believe either have the many advantages that can only be achieved with some cloud processing. I am a big fan of the cloud for serious automation-integration.

You should be able to integrate Alexa into most HS. Are you limited on the plugins of the Zee S2?

The limit is two plugins.

But I already have integrated Alexa... into everything. I know Alexa isn't exactly what the old programs were/are. It [Alexa] doesn't really lend itself into many of the exact individualized programming of tasks (AKA control) that stand alone software can. But Amazon is building a very impressive AI base to power an automated setup.

I'am extremely dependent on HomeSeer. I would have never been able to keep my automation going without your old Zee S2. And it's still running like a champ now. I haven't even had the nerve to even try the new beta download... because of the effort and costs involved with any failure(s).

A lighting strike about a decade ago..... and X10 closing their doors... has made me think more than once about keeping my setup flexible. A cheap Pi unit, a few hours work, and an Amazon Echo, and a smart phone..... can bring any old X10 user into the modern age. Or... I believe... many old users of various flavors of Home Automation... with a solid alternative to pricey units.

Right now I am using so many different kinds of units and stuff.... if I was pinned down to say what system/brand/flavor my Home Automation was built around.... I'd have to say Alexa. But with that in mind..... I am thinking of adding a google unit. 

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2020, 07:37:16 AM »

Check your email.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2020, 10:31:32 AM »

There are 3 main methods for making backups that have been covered here many times...

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2021, 10:37:10 AM »

Users that are having issues with SD cards may wish to use a USB stick.
Seems Buster has added the ability to use a USB to boot and run the OS. Althought the 3B+ and up have this ability built in most older Raspi boards can be updated with a simple command line that involks a USB Boot mode.
Pi Board that can be programed with this are:
  • Pi Compute Module
  • Pi Compute Module 3
  • Pi Zero
  • Pi Zero W
  • Pi A
  • Pi A+
  • Pi 3A+
See this link for the command to enable this and further info:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/msd.md

I find using a USB stick is a bit slower to boot but HG and the Bridge seem to be quicker.
Still better would be to use a portable Hard Drive with external power supply
Of coares the real benifit would be for users of a pi 4 version using USB 3 and a SSD
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2021, 01:26:48 PM »

I've posted installers for current builds of HA-Bridge and HomeGenie for the Raspi Buster OS. http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30714.msg186582#msg186582
These are not intended as updates for either software.
I've also been running the PIX10Hub software suite on a Linux mini PC for several years now and have Installer scripts for a Linux system as well if anyone is interested.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.