Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Welcome JDS User Group members  (Read 4248 times)

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Welcome JDS User Group members
« on: November 12, 2020, 12:06:47 PM »

If you saw my JDS User Group email and came over here, Welcome!  Please say hello.

scbuzz

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Welcome JDS User Group members
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 02:50:26 PM »

Hey guys,
When I sold the house we'd been in for 35 years, I left the Stargate behind. The new owners have no idea how to do anything with it, but i left it on autopilot controlling all the pool stuff and a few other things. Also left them a HomeSeer node that was dealing with Zwave. I suspect they'll eventually remove all of it. Pity since the Stargate still has a fully functional voice board in it.

We moved to a much simplified life (log cabin on 11 acres in the mountains) and I'm running stuff with Homeseer on a Raspberry Pi.

I'll check in periodically just to see what's going on.

--Buzz

brobin

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 02:57:31 PM »

Welcome Buzz, thanks for checking in.  I did the same thing with a Time Commander in one place and a Stargate in another.  Left full instructions but neither were very interested in HA.  The last place I sold the Stargate came with me as a spare. 

noopara

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 04:54:06 PM »

Thanks Bruce for the email on the Yahoo Groups Stargate forum.  I don't view the postings very often anymore but just happened to look at them today and the subject "Yahoo groups is going away " got my attention!

I've been a Stargate user since 1997 and a forum member since 2000, at least that's the earliest email postings I have.  I have every posting since then in a bunch of Eurdora mailboxes.

I still rely on Stargate and an I/O Expander for its great I/O capability along with HomeSeer 3. I only have a few spare I/Os at this stage. I purchased a new in the box Stargate several years ago just in case.  I'm currently using a Win10 machine with VirtualBox to run WinEvm.  It all works great.

I've been spending a lot of time lately in a hobby I left behind 60 years ago: Ham radio.  It has changed a lot since 1961.  I even have my Stargate connected to my ham station.

Thanks a lot for getting the word out about Yahoo.  I figured it was only a matter of time until they dropped the forums.  Now I will be able to keep my string of posts going.  I assume I will get the posts emailed to me, yes?

Greg

brobin

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 05:27:25 PM »

Welcome Greg.  Glad you're here. If you click on 'Profile' above and then under 'Modify Profile' click on 'Notifications' you'll be able to set up when and how you get notified about new activity.

I dabbled with ham radio myself around the same time but could never get morse code memorized enough for a license.

I've amassed a fair amount of Stargate boards most recently picking up a brand new CS308 for forty bucks on ebay.  Just yesterday I lost a couple of serial ports on the SG1 for the Caddx and Hunter Douglas bridge.  Popped a new MAX232CE chip in and all is well.

noopara

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 06:15:47 PM »

I wasn't able to find the "Modify Profile" option??

Ham radio is a lot different now.  For one thing, you don't need to know morse code.  I learned it 60 years ago and did do some CW operating back then, but then dropped it when I got into high school.  It did inspire me to seek a BSEE and I had a 35 year career in microwave and millimeter-wave development and production of military radar systems.  Today, much of the ham radio hobby is using digital communication modes keyboard to keyboard.

I put sockets in my back up new-in-the-original-box Stargate so I could replace the PS2505 photo couplers if I ever have to.  I lost some on the board I'm using now.  I've never had a problem with the serial ports.

In the last few weeks, I have integrated HomeSeer and Alexa devices ( I have about 12 of them around the house including cell phones) so no matter where I am, I can control things.  It's scary.

It's beer time  >!

brobin

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 08:00:45 PM »

If you got an email about this post you're good to go. You can also click 'Notify' at the bottom of the message pane to the right of 'Reply.' Otherwise:

« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 08:02:33 PM by brobin »

noopara

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 11:53:24 AM »

Nope, don't see the pop up with the notification option.

I would attach an image of what I see, but I don't see that option either.

-- greg

brobin

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 12:18:31 PM »

Are you getting email notifications now?

The circled (move scroll bar to right in photo) area lets you turn on notifications by topic.  Some of the forum features are disabled till you make 10 posts so you have 7 to go.

noopara

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 04:59:06 PM »

Yes, it looks like I am now on this topic.

Thanks!

-- greg

RonV42

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 09:28:35 AM »

Home is anywhere you put your hat at.  My StarGate still cranking away.  Even though I am not using X-10 devices anymore the relays and digital inputs working strong along with commands still working with the WebExpander.

Delmar7

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 12:40:57 PM »

I just came over from the Stargate group.  I've had Stargate since 1992 and it is still going strong.  I've augmented it with ECS to get around the lines of code limitations in Stargate.  I use a little bit of X10 but mostly PCS PulseWorx devices.

Delphi1

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2020, 10:53:17 AM »

Bruce, Thanks for all your efforts to straighten out the registration issue with admin.
Good to see that our group is not going away anytime soon.
I like our new home.

trkeenan

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 10:19:42 PM »

Hello All,

I have been a Stargate users since it first came out and before that I had the Time Commander.  I have installed my system into two different homes.  I love my Stargate and all I can do.

I did run into a problem tonight and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.

I was updating my Then Macros and all of a sudden they were all gone.

When I copy an old .dbf file in it still shows no macros.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
Tim

brobin

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 10:41:54 PM »

I haven't had that happen but do you see a macro.bak file? That would contain the version prior to the latest saved. Do you have a memory stick backup or backup drive?  Worst case you could do a WIN system restore.

It should look like this in the Stargate folder:

« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 01:15:18 AM by brobin »
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.