Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 switch dead after installing Wyze floodlight on circuit  (Read 1360 times)

kba

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I installed a Wyze floodlight camera today, and I'm wondering why that killed an X10 switch that controls a porch light on the same circuit. 

The X10 switch is an appliance module that’s been controlling a porch light with an LED bulb for about 20 years. On the same circuit - but with its own switch - is a floodlight. I took down the original floodlight fixture today and replaced it with a Wyze floodlight cam.

The Wyze floodlight works great. But the X10 switch won't turn on the porch light - even if I just try to turn it on locally with the paddle. The little LED indicator on the X10 switch - which used to light up yellow - now just weakly flickers. 

I didn't open the electrical box with the switches, so it's not like I could have knocked off a wire or damaged the switch.  Does anybody have an idea why this is happening?

Thanks.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: X10 switch dead after installing Wyze floodlight on circuit
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 06:00:13 AM »

Could be the Wyze floodlight is making power line noise around 120KHz the X10 power line frequency.
Getting into the appliance modules electronics.
Does the X10 module work if you have the Wyze turned off or removed?

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 10:30:15 AM »

I'd also vote for noise from the floodlight.  I tested a few LED bulbs years ago and some were noisy.  I tested again more recently and the cheap ones from Costco didn't cause an issue so I installed them in place of most 60W bulbs.  It's possible that some LED still cause issues.

kba

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 12:37:20 PM »

The X10 switch continues to be non-responsive, even after I disconnected the floodlight. (Not totally non-responsive, the amber LCD on the switch flickers a bit, so I know it's getting power.) I'm guessing that the X10 switch just died when I turned the breaker off to install the floodlight. I'll try to put the switch on a different circuit tonight and see if it works elsewhere in the house. It's an old Smarthome version of the WS13a.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 03:20:36 PM »

That way sounds like a good way yo go.
Testing on a different feed and see if it still flickers.
I have used a power cord and Wago lever nuts on the other ends for tests.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 09:25:48 PM »

After 20 years it could have failed so you might try another switch if you have one.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2023, 01:14:35 AM »

Some people have also reported that spinning the HC/UC wheels has made dead devices start working again.

kba

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2023, 10:45:39 PM »

It turned out that the switch was bad. Maybe turning the breaker off and on to install the floodlight killed it. (By the way, this switch didn't have wheels. To program it, you pushed the tiny LED to put it in learning mode, then broadcast a code from the transmitter.) I replaced with an even older X10 switch I had in the attic, and it works fine. Thanks for all the responses. 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2023, 06:17:41 AM »

By chance was the failed switch a Smarthome X10 clone?
They programs with the set button with the LED showing through it.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2023, 10:22:29 AM »

Yes, he mentioned that in reply #3. I had a bunch of those at one time and while I liked them better than them the X10 switches, they didn't have a great life expectancy. He was lucky to get 20 years out of one.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.