Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Worst support in the world: Don't buy the Vanguard software  (Read 13223 times)

bakerb

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Worst support in the world: Don't buy the Vanguard software
« on: September 02, 2006, 11:23:04 PM »

If anyone has been able to get remote viewing with the Vanguard Internet Control software to work, please reply to this message. Comments regarding remote picture quality, remote camera control, etc. would also be appreciated.

I've posted 3 questions here over a week ago. 2 of them were moved, none of them have been answered. Tech support is even worse, with clueless reps giving scripted answers that are no help.

Before buying the Vanguard Internet Control software, I read this in the knowledge base:
Questions
Will Vanguard Control Center work with my firewall or proxy server? How?
Answer
You can use Vanguard Control Center with a firewall or proxy server with no problems. If you can surf the Web, the Vanguard remote connection should work just fine.

Apparently this is completely false, at least according to the tech support people. I have yet to be able to view my cameras over the internet either from work or from two friends computers. Tech support says i need to open a network port at work. I'm sure my corporate network administrator would be very happy to do this (yeah right). Strange that this is not mentioned in the knowledge base (where most people would look to find answers before purchasing, as I did).

My two friends computers can't even view the Vanguard page on gate.x10.com. Both computers have all ActiveX security settings configured as Enabled or Prompt.

The first clue of the problems with this software are that Windows XP Firewall must be disabled. Hmm, the firewall software is there for a reason. Why don't I just disable my virus scanning software, and leave the keys in my truck while I'm at it.

Hooking up multiple cameras? Sure! Plug an RCA splitter into the USB converter, then make sure only one camera has power at a time by using appliance modules. Unfortunately they don't tell you that every time a camera loses & regains power, it re-centers the position and zoom so you have to reposition the camera again to where it was when you switched. Another option is to buy a $200 multiplexer.

The one good thing about my experiences is the Vanguard camera. The zoom is excellent as is the night vision. I would like the option to purchase the Sentinel camera dome seperately.

I'll be sending back the Vanguard software. If you just want a camera for viewing locally, the Vanguard is great. Just forget about remote viewing.

slicertech

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Worst support in the world: Don't buy the Vanguard software
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 10:58:51 AM »

I second that !!!

I bought the Vanguard  Internet Control Center Software Package deal with the Pan N Tilt Camera and all that ... i lost the software the Vanguard thinggy ....
We had a fire in our home and have the serial numbers of my stuff ... its been 3 weeks now and yet no ****en answers from theses incompetant bastards.

They suck your $$$ and **** you over on the Tech support ... expecting you to pay another 149.99$ for the ****en software since i have no receipts.

I tell you  ... the nerve of some people .. !!!

Hope you get your problem resolved ,,, i on the otherside, im screwed ... no more Vanguard  Internet Control Center Software ... no places to download it from either
and the X10 FTP doesn't hold it there.

S|icer :)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 11:57:14 AM »

We had a fire in our home and have the serial numbers of my stuff ... its been 3 weeks now and yet no ****en answers from theses incompetant bastards.

They suck your $$$ and **** you over on the Tech support ... expecting you to pay another 149.99$ for the ****en software since i have no receipts.

S|icer :)

Ironic.

Do you have credit card statement that you could provide X10 with a purchase date, helping them to look up the order?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 12:05:17 PM »

... i lost the software the Vanguard thinggy ....We had a fire in our home and have the serial numbers of my stuff ... its been 3 weeks now and yet no ****en answers from theses incompetant bastards.

Sorry to hear about the fire.

I think we all lose our software... sooner or later. I emailed support at X10 (support@x10.com) the other day... and got a responce within hours. Be sure to include your original purchase order number. If you don't have your info or just haven't got an email reply... give X10 a call. It could be a problem as simple as... maybe you've changed email accounts.

I use the same FREE internet email account for all my Internet purchases. I keep folders for purchase numbers and confirmations... saved ONLINE. That way... my information isn't dependent on any paper file or computer memory.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 12:32:48 PM »

I tell you  ... the nerve of some people .. !!!

Each of us are ultimately responsible for protecting our own investments... I.E. keeping receipts, etc. A fire is very unforunate, but doesn't change hands for the responsibility.

Not many companies will simply take the word of a caller or an email and send them a new product no questions asked, just because they said they bought it and lost it. Hopefully your correspondence to X10 was not a rude as the one you just posted here.

I will not delete you post above, but I will if I see anymore explicit language; even if it is starred out. Feel free to make a statement or a complaint, but keep it clean. This site does not have an Age 18+ rating.

I hope you have/find a record of your purchase so you can get the issue resolved.

astrothug

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 12:36:11 PM »

As someone new to x10, I have to say they the support people have been very helpful to me. and as for the products you cant beat the prices. My house is wired for video surveillance and for home automation and for home security. yes there is learning curve but its only a short one.

Once you get it it all clicks....

good luck..

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 08:08:06 AM »

i have been using x10 & active home pro for years.  yes, x10 support is nearly useless - anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves.  Yes, their software is very very very very poor but often with HOURS of work it can be worked around. 

new vanguard software installed along side active home pro with iwitness for cameras causes both program's camera pix to flash at a rate that even the snapshot cannot take a pix.  It is likely a lost cause to use both active home with iwitness AND vanguard on same computer but I am going to do something stupid and a waste of time - call them this morning to see if anyone has a 'script' maybe written by a user who found a work around that can make their software work together in harmony.  Wish me luck or just call me a stupid optimist.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.