Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Next Update to Active Home Pro and a suggestion.  (Read 37241 times)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
The Next Update to Active Home Pro and a suggestion.
« on: September 19, 2006, 01:14:27 PM »

Most of us are still running AHP 3.204.  We know 3.206 comes with OnAlert, so what will the next general update be?  3.207?

Suggestion:  Has X10USA ever considered a version of AHP for those of us who do not have or need any of the plug-ins? 3.204 fixed a problem for the universe of AHP users, but was still weighted to correcting problems in the various plug-ins.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Dan Lawrence

Re: The Next Update to Active Home Pro and a suggestion.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 10:52:22 AM »

Just a comment:  58 people have read this, but no one has bothered to reply.  Let's have some other views in this.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 12:38:08 PM »

Just a comment:  58 people have read this, but no one has bothered to reply.  Let's have some other views in this.

Umm... AHP without any plug-ins IS the version of AHP for those who don't have or need any of the plug-ins.

(I think you're really asking when X-10 is going to get around to fixing the known bugs in the main AHP program instead of concentrating on fixes for the plug-ins.)

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 01:34:18 PM »

You are right.  3.204 did fix a bug in the main AHP program that corrected a communication between x10 Network Services and AHP so module status would be correctly shown.

We need more of the same.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 12:55:21 PM »

How about a version of Active Home Pro that doesn't present the user with a screen showing AHP is registered, but all the plug-ins are not (AHP is illuminated, the plug-ins are greyed out). It's like even if you don't need the plug-ins (I note a lot of the posts concerning the various plug-ins is about problems encountered with them), X10 is going to "nag" you every time you open AHP to buy-buy-buy.

How about rebuilding the registration screen so the plug-ins don't appear until you add them?

320vu50

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 09:07:10 AM »

Here's a unique one. Get rid of the moving parts at the top of the screens. They defeat the screensavers for those that want the programs up and running all the time, but don't want the monitor getting burned up in the process. By minimizing the screen display window the screensaver works normally. But the silly door waving in the wind causes it to be a chenge to the display which translates into activity.

glt

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 09:50:50 AM »

If history serves AHP will NEVER be upgated. Near as I can tell, the people that wrote AHP are well gone, to (I hope) greener pastures.

X10 is a COMPLETELY marketing driven company, hence Mike's failed promises. AHP is a loss leader, designed to sell other hardware (note the support for ONLY the proprietary USB video adapter).

AHP might be updated for Vista, but I doubt it (Who is going to write it?). X!0 is still selling Win 98 stuff as new. In 3 or 4 years, when AHP can no longer be sold (because everyone has Vista), then, maybe it will be updated, if X10 is still around.

X10 is a good value, but not good. If you want improved functionality and dependability, it is time to look somewhere else. But be warned, "somewhere else" is expensive.

Lost riches for short term gains.

GLT

« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 09:57:24 AM by glt »

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 10:29:52 AM »

Here's a unique one. Get rid of the moving parts at the top of the screens. They defeat the screensavers for those that want the programs up and running all the time, but don't want the monitor getting burned up in the process. By minimizing the screen display window the screensaver works normally. But the silly door waving in the wind causes it to be a chenge to the display which translates into activity.
Did you know that you can stop the animation in the priority menu?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 01:13:51 PM »

glt> (X10 is a COMPLETELY marketing driven company)
Though I agree with you completely this is a tough thing for me to be critical of. I am a big fan, of BOTH X10 and capitalism.

Dan Lawrence> (X10 is going to "nag" you every time you open AHP to buy-buy-buy)
See my reply to glt

Charles Sullivan> I think you're really asking when X-10 is going to get around to fixing the known bugs.
Here Here! Bad software is UNacceptable at any price.

My gripe> I think AHP is going to have some real issues with updated computers (active X and Vista, and 64 bit processors). I also think High Definition will raise video expectations to levels far above what the current cameras can meet. I just hope when X10 does change AHP they fix that stupid antenna!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 12:52:34 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 01:38:34 PM »

Did you know that you can stop the animation in the priority menu?

It's not priority menu, It's Tools, Prefences and uncheck Use Animated Icons in the menu.  I just turned of the waving door.

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 08:57:40 AM »

You are absolutely correct, Dan.  I shouldn't have tried to use my less than average memory without the program up and running to cross check.    :-[

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 10:28:09 AM »

At the same time I also got rid of the "Order now" in the various module screens.  Another useless eye catcher.

ajleduc

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 11:05:03 AM »

If X10 were to open the software source code they would loose the 50 dollar sale on the software sale but would gain many hardware sales.

Basically give complete access to there programming interfaces.

I am sure there are a number of REALLY GOOD PROGRAMMERS out there that would just love to make this stuff work.

Ya - it might cost a little more but at least the programmers would stand by it because that is what they do, write and sell programs.  They wouldn't be designing cute web sites and selling hardware, X10 can do that....

Just a thought.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 03:16:55 PM »

I suspect we can forget about a upgrade.

Why?

1. 3.204/3.206 for On alert seem to be the most stable of the releases to date.

2. X10 has had serious defections from their programmers.

2.304 was from last July, the chance we will see one by July 2007 is between slim and non and slim is falling behind.

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 06:51:46 AM »

Quote from: Dan Lawrence
2. X10 has had serious defections from their programmers.

Considering the number of bugs that seem to come out with each update to the software this may not be a bad thing. 
_ _ ...  ..._ _
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.