Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can dimable Energy Saving Lamps work with X10 dimable Lamp modules ?  (Read 6734 times)

RCaddict

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
    • My Hobby Site

I have replaced most of my house lamps with energy saving lamps. Most X10 lamp modules and switches will not work with them. But CFLs are improving rapidly. Now they have very compact flicker free and some new models are actually dimable. Are dimable CFLs compatible with X10 lamp modules?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Can dimable Energy Saving Lamps work with X10 dimable Lamp modules ?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 01:13:07 PM »

Wall switches that use the load to get their power from. Will not work.
Lamp Modules may, depending on the brand. I have tried the one type dimable I do have and it dims about 50% then goes off or flickers.
Can't say about the new revision LM465 that has soft start as it ramps up slowly. In a test I have tried a dimable CFL on a Smarthome Lamp Module with soft start and it was not too happy.

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 03:02:22 PM »

Does anyone know about the ones sold by Smart Home ?  Says they are dimmable to about 20%, but pricey, in about the $17 range....

RCaddict

• My Hobby Site
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 03:59:56 PM »

WalMart has them for $9

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 04:07:22 PM »

WalMart has them for $9

Do those actually claim to be dimmable?   :o
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 05:16:54 PM »

Do dimmable CFL require the use of a special dimmer?  Or can any of the various types of dimmers designed for incandescent bulbs work?
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 06:46:50 PM »

Bill; My power company has a energy saving plan and sells dimable CFLs to customers for around $6.00

Walt2; I have dimmed one with a Lamp Module to about maybe 40-50% then it flickered and went out. Modules that can do a soft start didn't work well for me unless I set the ramp rate to the fastest it could be. So maybe the new lamp module from X10 could have a problem. I don't have any to test with.
Wall switches that steal power through the load didn't work for me and others have also indicated the same.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 07:32:17 PM »

Bill; My power company has a energy saving plan and sells dimable CFLs to customers for around $6.00

Interesting.  I guess economics of scale are finally kicking in and driving the price down!   8)
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 08:26:22 PM »

For the Summer they are also doing a Summer savers reward. Basically if you reduce your consumption by 10% ;15% or 20% from 07/01/07 through 09/30/07  over last years period with weather adjustments as needed. The 11/2007 bills power generation part of the bill is reduced by that percetage.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 08:31:13 PM »

For the Summer they are also doing a Summer savers reward. Basically if you reduce your consumption by 10% ;15% or 20% from 07/01/07 through 09/30/07  over last years period with weather adjustments as needed. The 11/2007 bills power generation part of the bill is reduced by that percetage.

Silly me, I jumped too soon again!  I changed to all CFL's about 2 years ago.  Now I wouldn't qualify if my power company did something like that.   :'(

Did the same when I bought my car.  No more than a month later they started offering those 0% interest deals and I was stuck with 8%.  Somebody up there is laughing at me I think!   ;)   ;D

Guess I'll just have to be happy with the savings the CFL's have already generated on my power bill.   8)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 08:33:36 PM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 07:17:47 AM »

Same for me. Lowered mine a few years ago. Only way I could save more would be maybe pull the main breaker for a few hours a day ::)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 10:01:55 AM »

I am in the same boat, with having already reduced lighting costs and electrical power consumed by the lights.

But have been thinking..... 

I also reduced the electricity used by replacing the computers old "tube" monitor with a LCD monitor. I wonder if replacing that old 36 inch tubed TV with a 40-42 inch LCD TV might represent significant electric savings. Hey .... if would help the environment!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 10:04:36 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 02:43:57 PM »

So, if you reduced your electric usage by 10%, 15%, or 20%, your power company will be nice and reduced your bill by 10%, 15%, or 20% too?    ???
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 02:50:43 PM »

I am in the same boat, with having already reduced lighting costs and electrical power consumed by the lights.

But have been thinking..... 

I also reduced the electricity used by replacing the computers old "tube" monitor with a LCD monitor. I wonder if replacing that old 36 inch tubed TV with a 40-42 inch LCD TV might represent significant electric savings. Hey .... if would help the environment!

I went "hog wild" in my first house, using X10 and my CP290 to control electricity usage throughout my house, including heat and hot water.  With that, also came a lot of inconvenience, especially on days that I didn't follow my normal routine/schedule.  For example, try to take a shower at 10am instead of 6am, and I found there was no hot water.

Then my refrigerator died, and I replaced it with a new energy efficient model. 

You know, my electric bill dropped more because of the new refrigerator, than for all the electricity reduction I did by cutting back on my electric heat and hot water.

RCaddict

• My Hobby Site
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 03:12:00 AM »

Do those actually claim to be dimable?   :o

They do not work.  :(
I tried Wal-mart bulb made by Light-of-America. It flicker when connected to electronic dimmer. Goes off if tried to dim. They supposed to be compatible some type of dimmer but they seems to be keeping that info top secret.  :D

Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.