Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to tame EagleEye Motion Sensor !  (Read 47070 times)

RCaddict

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
    • My Hobby Site
How to tame EagleEye Motion Sensor !
« on: August 18, 2007, 06:38:33 PM »

OK, I complained about X10 stuff and even put them to trash for very brief period. But at Ebay prices I couldn't resist so pull them back and set to work. Major problem is Mosion sensors. Without sensitivity adjustment they always give false alarms during day time mostly when cars passing by even at distance. I was comparing them to my reliable Zenith sensors and saw one major disparity. X10 sensors are always mounted horizontally since they do not have a adjustable mounting base like other expensive sensors. So I made simple ball & socket mount with my son's old Lego pieces. ( new Lego stuff has lots of ball & socket joints) and mount it high about 8ft (recommended height for Zenith) looking down at about 30 degrees. Wallah! no false alarms whole day. May be too early to celebrate but I thought I will share a good news.  ;D

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: How to tame EagleEye Motion Sensor !
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 06:56:05 PM »

Thank you for sharing your findings. X10 does have one motion sensor that pivots down; but it is slightly different than most. The DM10A Rex-10 motion sensor can send a standard on signal but never sends an off. It also sends extra data a Robo Dog console; that starts barking like a big dog or so they claim is sounds like.
It is much larger than the standard one most have seen and uses 4 AA cells for power. Has the Black and Red dials to set the address.  It also sends the Dusk Dawn On Off at motion address +1

RCaddict

• My Hobby Site
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 07:13:52 PM »

Strange you mention RoboDog. I really like that concept of barking dog and lights coming on inside. Infact I need this sensor working for my pet  :D project, my own robodog! Load dog sound to digital recording module from RS, couple with old PC amplified speaker triggered by appliance module! Will post more data when it is ready!

RCaddict

• My Hobby Site
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 03:48:12 PM »

Not so lucky!!!! Wind picked up today and big tree near motion sensor went wild and sensor went wild too. EagleEye could not differentiate between moving tree branches and people. But my Zenith sensor sat right next to it cool and calm not giving any false signal but detected me the moment I walked out. How do they do that?   ???

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 04:26:06 PM »

I think we share a similar concept RCaddict.

I actually got the idea from TTA and dave w when they poked-fun at my Voice Announcements System (posts 14 through 20).

However.... if I am going to announce to trespassers (through a outdoor speaker system) that "activity has been detected and is being video monitored". I certainly need ROCK-SOLID detection. A series of wind, leaf, rabbit caused false triggers could cause me to not be invited to the neighbors New Year's Party.

Brian H I found a driveway reporting system that looks pretty easy to intergrate into my X10 system. It operates at 315MHz RF.... should that INTERFERE with my X10 RF?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 05:02:55 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

RCaddict

• My Hobby Site
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 04:39:07 PM »

I think we share a similar concept RCaddict. However.... if I am going to announce to trespassers (through a outdoor speaker system) that "activity has been detected and is being video monitored".

Well, I don't think I want to do that. Any trespasser will definitely feel like breaking in to your house to get your video tape after hearing that.  ;D

I was experimenting with sunglasses for my EagleEye sensor. Shelding the lens with materials that block the light but let the heat (Infrared)  through. Now it is quit for few hours though tree in front still dance to the wind but it detects me quite good.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 05:23:35 PM by RCaddict »

Boiler

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 06:11:02 PM »

I was experimenting with sunglasses for my EagleEye sensor. Shelding the lens with materials that block the light but let the heat (Infrared)  through. Now it is quit for few hours though tree in front still dance to the wind but it detects me quite good.

Thank you RCaddict,

Reading about your motion sensor Sunglasses resulted in a good belly laugh.  I've needed one all week.

Some how I can just picture you positioning the sunglasses to the background of "I wear my sunglasses at night" (Corey Hart '80's).

But seriously, do you need the motion monitoring during the day?  I've found that using the sensors in "dark only" mode makes them quite a bit less prone to false triggers.

RCaddict

• My Hobby Site
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 07:07:20 PM »

;D ;D ;D
Yes that was funny. You see the idea for me to keep this stuff is to have FUN!
I can afford to experiment with knowing if they messed up it cost me only few bucks. Good learning tool and I like to learn. It is more reliable at night but I am not happy with what I got type  ;D

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 08:14:05 PM »

I tried blinders for my EagleEye.... I made it from a writeable CD case.
Even [when] placed away from the leafs, shielded from the sun, and pointing at open sky..... I got false triggers during the day.

As far as daytime detection and deterrent.... most breakins occur in the morning... about the time when the intruder should have been in home-room. Maybe I need to work on the announcement verbage.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 11:55:30 PM by Dave_x10_L »

Boiler

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 08:15:25 PM »

You see the idea for me to keep this stuff is to have FUN!
I can afford to experiment with knowing if they messed up it cost me only few bucks. Good learning tool and I like to learn. It is more reliable at night but I am not happy with what I got type.

I absolutely applaud that attitude (experimenting, learning, and having fun).  

RCaddict

• My Hobby Site
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 11:01:42 PM »

Cool contraption Dave X10 L really cool.  8)

But if you read this article http://www.edcheung.com/automa/ms14a.htm you will see this sensors do not have advance software which could have solved the problem rather rely on primitive hadware to detect the movement. So whatever way you tried to shield the sensor it will produce false triggers only reduce the frequency. I thought of three ways to overcome this and going about it in that order.
1. Avoid looking at the warm sky which produce false thermal variations which I already did by pivot mount.
2. Filter all other sources except infrared energy which I am testing now
3. Reprogram the PIC which I will attempt if all else fail. It is fun to write the code but unfortunately I don't have time to do it from scratch which is the case because existing program is protected.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 11:19:14 PM by RCaddict »

RCaddict

• My Hobby Site
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 01:20:20 PM »

My SmartDog  ;)
Smart because he does not bark at wind!  ;D

Didn't have much time so I decided to do this with stuff in my junk box in 15min. Created longer MP3 file, loaded to old MP3 player set it to repeat, hooked it to old computer speaker powered by ac adapter. Plugged whole thing to X10 module activated by my IR filtered EagleEye (no false alarms since mod.) Set it up near front door to greet visitors with friendly bark 24/7   ;D

« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 01:26:58 PM by RCaddict »

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 08:47:33 PM »

My SmartDog  ;)

GREAT JOB!!!! RCaddict!!!! Finally a replacement for the RoboDog. I found that VERY Helpful!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 10:12:58 PM »

My SmartDog  ;)

GREAT JOB!!!! RCaddict!!!! Finally a replacement for the RoboDog. I found that VERY Helpful!

Yes indeed!   ;D  Nice pic's too!   8)
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

RCaddict

• My Hobby Site
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 02:41:41 PM »

Thanks guys, but I have unexpected problem! My kids love the SmarDdog and run in front of the sensor all day to make it bark. That make my wife go mad and she want it put to sleep. ;D

EagleEye sensor experiment going well. I had false scare today turned out to be a bad battery. According to article bellow it there are so many factors effecting the performance of the sensor including quality of the lens ability to filter through human body radiation.
How Sensors work http://home.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?parent=question238.htm&url=http://www.glolab.com/pirparts/infrared.html
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 04:39:24 PM by RCaddict »
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.