Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What is your take on this

The forums are just fine the way they are
the forum needs major improvement (a lost cause)
Improvement is needed but fixable

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Stand up AND Voice your opinion!  (Read 11398 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Stand up AND Voice your opinion!
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 08:13:16 PM »

Some great Suggestions!
Pointing users to the Wiki should be done more often(I'm guilty of not doing this enough myself), Problem is most newbies don't want to learn how to Fish! ::)
As MichaelC pointed out Anyone can contribute to the X10 Wiki

TaketheActive and myself have spent many hours creating helpful threads pointing users to valuable buried information!
In these threads we asked users to either Private Message us or another Community Organizer with additional info\tips\tidbits of information they find! Problem is Few take the time! :( ::) :(
Just because I started the thread doesn't mean I have to be the one that keeps adding to it! ;)

The Community Organizers really will answer your PM and act on your advice, As will the Expert Advisors! The out come may be slow (depending on how busy one is) but it will happen if not to outrageous! ;)
Try PMing a CO or EA Today!

As for X10 becoming more involved in the forums! Well that seems to happen in spurts :( Maybe the higher ups look at it "If you have time to post in the forums you don't have enough work!" or the employees feel that is the case! Perhaps the Brass should be doing more to encourage Postings !
Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 08:17:38 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 08:25:57 PM »

I feel like the little kid in the Emperor's New Clothes.  No where in this thread is there any indication of how to get to the so called X10 Wiki, whatever that is.

Any one want to helpo me?
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 08:50:21 PM »

x10 wiki
I believe it is the first link in my thread X10 Issues? Please Read This First! as well! ;)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 08:51:54 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 07:26:42 AM »

Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

John026

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
  • "Somebody grab the sawsall"
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 03:25:59 AM »

The forum was originally created for users to help other users create and maintain a reliable X10 setup!
It was meant to be a fun place to share ideas and stories,somewhere along the line that was lost!

I don't know what the forum was like when it was originally created, but I'm sure glad that it is available, so thank-you and all the members that have put the man hours in, and for the patience of helping us get our systems up and running. To me it is a fun place.

I wouldn't mind seeing more testimonials of what peoples systems consist of, more pictures would be nice too

John

[Puck edit: removed new message from inside of quote.]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 08:52:49 AM by Puck »

Edward222

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 10:07:35 AM »

I like the idea of finding a better way of linking to answers already out there.  Perhaps a more concise FAQ area where new users could follow prompts to find the answer to a specific question first before dumping it out there for others to make comments.   (A dumb question to an experienced user could be a legitimate question to a new user).  Most FAQ areas are time consuming and troublesome to find a specific answer.  So break it down in specific areas to make it extremely easy to find old forum answers etc. 

unofornaio

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2007, 02:45:19 PM »

Hey all,

I just set up my ds7000 kinda temp at this house, I had it installed for years at the other house, but I was thinking about some things while trying to remember some of the quirks inherent to 10 stuff...well I guess all wireless stuff really. Anyway after searching and finding some general posts that jarred my memory I realized that there are a hand full of common questions that always seem to come up for new users and old ones that have not changed something in a while like me. I do not feel prepared to offer suggestions at this time because I have not read what is on the site in terms of general info stickies?( posts that are important read only) I don't know what they are called here but thats what I mean.

I would however like to take this opportunity to thank those of you that are here and are always helpful. Over the years of owning x10 stuff I have relied on this forum to help me avoid smashing some of it out of frustration  ::) and have received excellent help. So in a nut shell what I'm trying to say is

THANK YOU

zach1234

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2007, 10:45:52 PM »

Keep the old. When new stuff comes out there are big problems.

* Cor *

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2007, 10:48:18 AM »

I do like the forum just the way it headed. But there is always room for improvement's. When I first started with X10 ( which isn't that long ago).
 I found this:
My first empression when I bought the first X10 kit  "Camera kit and HA Pro with all addons " Seemed easy just like the adds stated and liked the price and did not expect to turn this it to a hobby like it is now but did take work and more time getting it to work correctly. First I went to Wiki which I found very basic Info and could be improved or updated greatly. But on the other hand the forum has everything plus what I need to get the system up and running with allot of Great advise. Just was not expecting to spend all this time reading threads. X10 should tell you upfront you need to get electric cleaned up or at least have some kits with filters etc... Package deals.
So I can see why newbies get up tight. (It is like buying a new car that has no gas to drive it off the lot. they hand you the keys and you get in and start it and it don't. So you ask the salesman and he says the gas station is down the road and you can buy gas and a gas can there. A hour later you drive off.) Where if you knew this first you would have had some gas first. Most people do buy on impuse and do not educate themselves completely before they buy. Which was my case also Price driven. With days of reading and learning to fish threw the forums. The forum puts Wiki to shame but do not get me wrong wiki is good but the forum blows the doors off of Wiki. I think. Thanks again to the Vets that have made this forum for what it is. :) ;) ;D 8)
Stills have a ton of reading to do. Big Ideas and lot of plans but so little time and alot to learn makes it is alot of FUN and challenging.
Cor

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2007, 04:42:50 PM »

I belong to the "If IT ain't broke, DON'T fix it!! group.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.