Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XPFM wiring for CFL  (Read 6414 times)

tolum

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
XPFM wiring for CFL
« on: November 12, 2007, 04:54:22 PM »

Hi; I have 9 CFL spots in my kids game room. The lights are controlled by a standard wall switch.
Question: Can I leave the actual wall switch and wire a XPFM in parallel so I will be able to control the lights with a Macro, a remote or a motion sensor or the actual wall switch?

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
Re: XPFM wiring for CFL
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 06:48:42 PM »

Hi; I have 9 CFL spots in my kids game room. The lights are controlled by a standard wall switch.
Question: Can I leave the actual wall switch and wire a XPFM in parallel so I will be able to control the lights with a Macro, a remote or a motion sensor or the actual wall switch?

Replace the switch with an XPS3 X10 switch.  It will give you both manual and remote control of the CFLs.
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

tolum

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 07:10:48 PM »

I think Xps3 switch need 3 wires from the electrical panel. I only have 2 wires!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 08:02:23 PM »

The XPFM Module usually mounts directly in the fixture though can be out into a switch box. It also needs a neutral power wire. I am not 100% sure if a manual switch from Line to Load on an XPFM would hurt it. I don't thing so but never tried it.

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 10:50:02 PM »

I think Xps3 switch need 3 wires from the electrical panel. I only have 2 wires!

Even if you don't have a ground/bare (or green) wire in your box, as long as you do have a hot/black and a neutral/white return wire the XPS3 should work.

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 10:56:23 PM »

I am not 100% sure if a manual switch from Line to Load on an XPFM would hurt it. I don't thing so but never tried it.

I've put relay contacts in parallel with regular appliance modules with no problem.  That would be the same as putting a regular switch in parallel with an appliance module.  You have to be very careful that you get the polarity right when you do it or you'll get a short circuit.  I'm not sure though what the benefit would be of putting the switch in parallel with the X10 module since, when the switch was on, the module wouldn't be able to control the lights. Same goes with putting it in series since, when the switch was off, the module wouldn't be able to control the lights.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 10:58:48 PM by Oldtimer »

tolum

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 07:19:02 AM »

Even if you don't have a ground/bare (or green) wire in your box, as long as you do have a hot/black and a neutral/white return wire the XPS3 should work.

Do you mean I can use a XPS3 switch and screw the green wire to the bottom of the steel wall switch electrical box where the bare ground is crewed too?

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 12:15:18 PM »

Do you mean I can use a XPS3 switch and screw the green wire to the bottom of the steel wall switch electrical box where the bare ground is crewed too?

Let me clarify all this some more.

First what we're discussing applies to both the XPS3 and the WS13A.  Neither of these appliance switches has any leads on it.  They have an 8 connection terminal strip.  Two to connect to the line/black.  Two to connect to the neutral/white.  Two to connect to your load/CFL light fixtures.  Two for 3-way control, which you're not using. There is no connection, nor is one needed, for ground/bare (or green).

Presumably you have a black and a white wire coming from your breaker box and and black and white wire going to your CFL fixtures.  Both white wires connect to the neutral terminals.  The black wire from the breaker connects to a line terminal.  The black wire to the CFL fixture connects to a load terminal.  Nothing will be connected to the control terminals.

tolum

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 02:17:02 PM »

Let me clarify all this some more.

First what we're discussing applies to both the XPS3 and the WS13A.  Neither of these appliance switches has any leads on it.  They have an 8 connection terminal strip.  Two to connect to the line/black.  Two to connect to the neutral/white.  Two to connect to your load/CFL light fixtures.  Two for 3-way control, which you're not using. There is no connection, nor is one needed, for ground/bare (or green).

Presumably you have a black and a white wire coming from your breaker box and and black and white wire going to your CFL fixtures.  Both white wires connect to the neutral terminals.  The black wire from the breaker connects to a line terminal.  The black wire to the CFL fixture connects to a load terminal.  Nothing will be connected to the control terminals.

Thanks a lot. This is clear as crystal!

Thierry

[Puck edit: moved reply outside of quote.]

« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 05:17:20 PM by Puck »

tolum

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 02:49:32 PM »

Just asking, is it the same wiring process to wire a fan to a X10Pro XPDI3? I would like to control a small fan speed.

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 04:01:32 PM »

Just asking, is it the same wiring process to wire a fan to a X10Pro XPDI3? I would like to control a small fan speed.

The XPDI3 has leads instead of a terminal strip but because it requires a neutral connection the wiring is similar to what I described for the XPS3 except you'll be using wire nuts instead of a terminal strip. 

A word of CAUTION though! The XPDI3 is not intended for inductive loads like a fan motor although many have reported that it will work as long as you don't exceed the power rating.  Hopefully others on the forum will chime in on this issue.

x10Steve

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 01:40:22 PM »

A word of CAUTION though! The XPDI3 is not intended for inductive loads like a fan motor although many have reported that it will work as long as you don't exceed the power rating.  Hopefully others on the forum will chime in on this issue.

You can use this switch for inductive loads as stated in the manual and on multiple web pages.

http://www.activehomepro.com/accessories/pro/xpdi3_iw_wa1_s.html

http://www.x10pro.com/pro/pdf/xpdi3.pdf

"Powerful and flexible X10 Pro Wall Switch is the ideal solution for controlling inductive loads, such as low voltage lighting circuits and ceiling fans."

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.