Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Re-Writing AHX - Adding 2nd CM15 - Advice needed please.  (Read 8822 times)

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
Re-Writing AHX - Adding 2nd CM15 - Advice needed please.
« on: September 25, 2008, 08:40:27 AM »

(Nice "cottage" Tuicemen!)

I think my AHX file is hosed, and I'm into X10 for 10 months now - so I'm re-writing my entire system.  I've been running AHP (with all Plug-ins) on an XP Laptop because of the Vista/VA11 issue, but its USB power is limited and I think the competition between the VA11 (and 4 cameras) and the CM15 is causing the CM15 to "miss" some activity.

So what I'm thinkin' is hook one CM15a and all the video to the Laptop, and one CM15a to the Vista desktop and run the bulk of timers & macros on the desktop with RF calls to the Laptop for the video functions.

Example:  Back-door motion sensor triggers a macro on main system that sends an RF trigger to the Laptop to record video.

So long as I pay attention to Monitored and Transceived HCs, I should be OK, right?  Plus, I get 32 FLAGS and 32 Monitored modules.

...any suggestions?  Ideas?  Cautions?
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Re-Writing AHX - Adding 2nd CM15 - Advice needed please.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 09:23:11 AM »

...any suggestions?  Ideas?  Cautions?

As you are probably aware, do not use the same AHX file for both systems.

Make sure you define all modules (even dummies) on both even if only one system will have a macro associated with it. This is just to ensure you know what house/unit codes are in use. Plus it gives you the ability to trigger the other systems macro.

If the same trigger is used on both systems, be aware of macro execution timing issues to prevent collisions.

Dedicate a single house code to be a communication channel between systems. I.E. Helps organize 16 channels to trigger a macro on the other system. This also provides a good way to share or set/reset a flag that is common to both systems.

PajamaGuy

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 12:02:01 PM »

Dedicate a single house code to be a communication channel between systems. I.E. Helps organize 16 channels to trigger a macro on the other system. This also provides a good way to share or set/reset a flag that is common to both systems.

I was thinking of isolating 1 HC on each (K for Laptop, J for PC) as in monitored on each and sending an RF signal as a trigger.

e.g. Laptop has a macro K1-ON to start a vidcap of camera 2.   And have the PC send an RF K1-ON to a K1 phantom.  Laptop monitoring K. 

I was thinking about using RF commands (and NOT transceiving them) to cut down on the PLC traffic. 

And yep, I've read most of what you've written on keeping the definitions in both places - and I'll use different AHXs.
PajamaGuy
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »

(Nice "cottage" Tuicemen!)

Thanks that's where I plan to have my second CM15A although it won't be attached to the PC!
Puck probably has the most experience with this so following his advice will lead to a reliable setup! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Boiler

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 04:14:01 PM »

I was thinking of isolating 1 HC on each (K for Laptop, J for PC) as in monitored on each and sending an RF signal as a trigger.

e.g. Laptop has a macro K1-ON to start a vidcap of camera 2.   And have the PC send an RF K1-ON to a K1 phantom.  Laptop monitoring K. 

I was thinking about using RF commands (and NOT transceiving them) to cut down on the PLC traffic. 

And yep, I've read most of what you've written on keeping the definitions in both places - and I'll use different AHXs.

PajamaGuy,

I like the idea of using the RF trigger to cut down on powerline activity.  One point though - when using the "RF Command" you don't need phantom/dummy modules.  You can simply send the RF to any address/house code without having a module defined at that location.

Boiler

PajamaGuy

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 04:34:59 PM »

Thanks!

Does anyone see anything wrong with having a lot of defined, but empty & not uses modules??  Like phantoms.  For instance, in my "Phantoms" room, I have 16 AM486 sitting there.  10 of them are named "P7 (empty)", "P8 (empty)", etc.  I have other rooms with empty, but named lamp modules. 

Is that a "drain" in the system?
PajamaGuy
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

BaBaLou.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 06:29:11 PM »

:)+
Hi folks, just an added question as with myself am considering looking into 2 CM15A's, one for the main floor area including outside cams and sensor and the other is for the futer basement area, entertainment area, office, bedroom. In my planning of my layout I have some fear having RF issues due to remotes and sensors over kill. If the two units are organized as
PajamaGuy is planning and having 2 separate files, could there be an RF storm, clashing or drowning each unit from each other? If I was able to have the basement area on a filtered separate small circute panel, concentrate my plan with one area with more RF and the other with more PLC or a balance on both? Or just use one CM15A and go to the MAX on it ???. 32 Flags. how does the system understand a Flag so as to tell the difference from Flag 3 on one unit to Flag 3 on the other unit?
Thanks
BaBaLou.

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 12:11:25 AM »

Thanks!

Does anyone see anything wrong with having a lot of defined, but empty & not uses modules??  Like phantoms.  For instance, in my "Phantoms" room, I have 16 AM486 sitting there.  10 of them are named "P7 (empty)", "P8 (empty)", etc.  I have other rooms with empty, but named lamp modules. 

Is that a "drain" in the system?

I do this for all my remotes before I start assigning tasks to them. There is no drain on the system because modules themselves do not get downloaded to the CM15A, only associated macros do (if any).

If the two units are organized as PajamaGuy is planning and having 2 separate files, could there be an RF storm, clashing or drowning each unit from each other?

You could if you send a trigger to the other unit that in return sends a trigger to the first at the address that sent the original signal.

If I was able to have the basement area on a filtered separate small circute panel, concentrate my plan with one area with more RF and the other with more PLC or a balance on both?

This would really be your call on how you want to do it. The CM15A is polite with respect to PLC signals, so if both are using that it shouldn't be an issue. You shouldn't have any problem with using RF on one or both either. Just make sure both CM15As do not transceive the same house codes; even though they are polite, no good came come from it.

32 Flags. how does the system understand a Flag so as to tell the difference from Flag 3 on one unit to Flag 3 on the other unit?

It can't tell the difference from one unit to the other; 2 units just gives you the ability to do more than 16 things that require flags by splitting the tasks. I do however use dummy modules to set the same flag on the 2nd unit when it gets set on the first; for example, my daytime/night time flag and my security armed flag. These are 2 flags I use that will affect the execution of macros in both units.

BaBaLou.

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 01:29:32 PM »

Thanks Puck, As I grow my system with more sensors, Lights and automation as well as soon i hope IconRemoteII's, cams and so on, it give me the sense I may go  over board on RF and PLC signals.  How can the newer XTB and the V572AB play a part into the picture.
BaBaLou

PajamaGuy

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 03:39:47 PM »

I have both an V572 and an XTB-IIR - which is another stimulous for re-writing....  I can't wait for Puck to answer you!

PajamaGuy
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

BaBaLou.

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 04:56:42 PM »

Thought so PajamaGuy , I guess I will be getting a lecture for this one. Better get ready then.

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 03:58:09 AM »

I use the V572RF32 with my systems and I disabled my RF Receiver circuits in both CM15As so that I only have the one transceiver. The CM15As only listen and react to PLC signals. This has worked for me, so if you choose to use 2 or more transceivers just make sure there is no potential for collisions or multiple triggers.

I suspect you would use the XTB for boosting the CM15A's PLC output, so that should interface with the system ok; with 2 CM15As you may need two(?)

PajamaGuy

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 05:32:10 AM »

I disabled my RF Receiver circuits in both CM15As so that I only have the one transceiver.

Why only the receivers?  Maybe I don't have enough coffee yet, but:
1. Wouldn't NOT transceiving any housecode on the CM15 do the same thing?
2. Now you can't send RF from one CM15 to the other.
3. So you have no Security Sensors installed as their own modules (no way for their RF to get to AHP)- you'd have to use phantoms, and you wouldn't be able to use their "state" as a condition.
4. OnAlert plug-in would only allow you to ARM the DS7000, and once AHP showed ARMED, no DisArm signal (RF) would ever get to AHP.

Puck - either you mis-spoke, or my head's un-screwed. ???

And yes, the XTB not only boosts the PLC's from a CM15, but it also couples the phases, and takes the V572's output.
PajamaGuy
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

BaBaLou.

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 07:04:03 AM »

I have to keep in mind that the V572 can receive and send RF, I know, I know that's why they call it a Transceiver. How do you assign HC or UC to the V572, software or dipswitch?

I disabled my RF Receiver circuits in both CM15As
Sorry Puck, is that a physical disable (grey wire antenna inside) of the RF Receiver in the CM15A, or just in setting.

2. Now you can't send RF from one CM15 to the other.
Isn't sending RF from one unit to the other should be avoided and instead use PLC or Flag or Macros to communicate to each unit if needed. so to avoid an RF storm.

3. So you have no Security Sensors installed as their own modules (no way for their RF to get to AHP)- you'd have to use phantoms, and you wouldn't be able to use their "state" as a condition.
4. OnAlert plug-in would only allow you to ARM the DS7000, and once AHP showed ARMED, no DisArm signal (RF) would ever get to AHP.

Isn't the V572 supposed to handle Alarm system Module and is able to assign UC to those modules so On-Alert would still communicate with them.

Q. to PajamaGuy, in your prior pic of your setup http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=16218.msg89366#msg89366 where is your PSC05 connected or RU using one?

To get result for me will be by getting on board with the XTB-II and V572, have been putting off and then only using one CM15A to see what the results will come of this and maybe then I can see if the need for another CM15A is needed.

Addition Question off topic.
To all those who may know the answer if I can ask this. Does the new remote have touchscreen?.

Thanks
BaBaLou.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 08:47:21 AM by BaBaLou. »

PajamaGuy

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 09:14:50 AM »

The 572 does NOT transmit RF - it Transceives RF to PLC, not the other way.

Sending RF cuts down on PLC storms.

According to WGLDesigns, the US V572's do NOT transceive Security Remote(s) RF.  Some have reported the Canadian model does.

The V572 plugs into the XTB-IIR

(... no touchscreen...)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 09:19:36 AM by PajamaGuy »
PajamaGuy
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.