Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ( picoVerse-:( a specification: and What should i buy? ) )  (Read 8458 times)

picoVerse

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
( picoVerse-:( a specification: and What should i buy? ) )
« on: June 03, 2009, 03:23:17 AM »

Please tell me what I should buy.

I want to fool around with the X10 SDK on Windows XP pro.

I don't care so much for sirens.  The cops are just down the next street so they should be able to get here within about a minute or two.

I want a continuous socket link to a PC in another house so that when that link is broken the other house dials me.  This is because telephone lines can be cut and cellphones can be jammed.

How about links to robots?  How about a robot that sprays the intruder with colored bleach?  Other than that it might wreck the house that is.  or how about benzene.  or sulfuric acid.
Let's get nuts.

Can the wireless motion sensors and etc be jammed?  I would like sensors that report their status once a second and if they don't report then the alarm goes off.

Are there security sensors that are not wireless?  I think I would rather have those if they exist.

I think three or four motion sensors aught to do it.  What do I care about window and door sensors? 

Can I have outdoor motion sensors?  How about an outdoor motion sensor that starts up a video camera and opens a link to a PC in another house and records the video over to there.
The intruder could come in and trash my security PC.  But the linked PC would still be intact.  And if the motion sensor doesn't report once a second then the alarm goes off and the other house is notified which dials me and I call the cops.  Or maybe it calls the cops.

I would like video that turns on when there is motion.

- - - - -

So i want to have a security PC running 24/7 with the SDK and 4 motion sensors.
Can a little wifi notebook computer with USB ports run the X10 stuff?

4 motion activated video cameras are a desired optional extra.

So what should I buy?

picoVerse

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: ( picoVerse-:( a specification: and What should i buy? ) )
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 03:39:12 AM »

By the way:

Your forum registration process does not work under Internet Explorer 8.

The [Register] button never lights up.  And all the ads and the coded Character String that one is supposed to decypher and enter doesn't show up.

Under IE 6 forum registration works fine.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: ( picoVerse-:( a specification: and What should i buy? ) )
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 10:59:57 AM »

Please tell me what I should buy.

I want to fool around with the X10 SDK on Windows XP pro.
To "fool around" with a PC controlled X10 setup... you will need to buy the Active Home Pro (AHP) with the CM15A interface... and then download the SDK.

I want a continuous socket link to a PC in another house so that when that link is broken the other house dials me.  This is because telephone lines can be cut and cellphones can be jammed.

Well... the great thing about the SDK is it will allow you to write your own code.. and create your "socket link" idea. Of course allow... doesn't mean enable.

How about links to robots?  How about a robot that sprays the intruder with colored bleach?  Other than that it might wreck the house that is.  or how about benzene.  or sulfuric acid. Let's get nuts.

X10's response time is a bit slow... for an attack robot.

And you may want to check with the police [down the street] about an "armed mechanical device". I don't know of any place on this planet... where such devices are legal. The Army has long been able to deploy such devices... but even when armed with nonlethal weapons... they violate international laws. We should keep in mind... although your intruder may not be your troubled or drug addicted son or daughter.. they are someones.

However... a security robot as a mobile security camera platform... might be handy. Most recently... I've adapted my security robot with a antenna modified Ninja and modified camera.

I must admit.... a auto-sentry does sound cool.

Can the wireless motion sensors and etc be jammed?  I would like sensors that report their status once a second and if they don't report then the alarm goes off.

Are there security sensors that are not wireless?  I think I would rather have those if they exist.

Anything wireless (and to some extent wired.. can be jammed)... I don't know about any continuous reporting alarms ether. But they may be out there!

Can I have outdoor motion sensors?  How about an outdoor motion sensor that starts up a video camera and opens a link to a PC in another house and records the video over to there.
The intruder could come in and trash my security PC.  But the linked PC would still be intact.  I would like video that turns on when there is motion.

Not only does that sound interesting... but very doable. Or at least... emailed video/images. X10 is FAMOUS for their motion activated video recording! I use X10 floodlights to trigger cameras. I also use my BVC setup to announce a warning to any potential intruder... I think this is a great deterrent.

So i want to have a security PC running 24/7 with the SDK and 4 motion sensors.
Can a little wifi notebook computer with USB ports run the X10 stuff?

Notebook... sure, netbook I am not sure.

There are MANY threads and posts on security... and alarms here at the forum. I believe in the use of security alarms as PART of a security system. But I like to point out that an alarm merely "alarms" or reports crimes that have already happened. I firmly believe it is important to prevent and deter crime. Often the steps needed to deter/prevent the crime cost less than than the devices that report it.

Also... professionally monitored alarm systems can [many times] save the homeowner more on home insurance... than the monitoring services actual cost.

I keep coming back to this post. The concept of "continuous reporting" is really very interesting. It is sorta like a modern day picking up the phone receiver and listening for a dial tone... to make sure the phone is working. I think for the most part... people no longer do that. But it took a couple decades of dependable phone service for people to gain that trust.

But I think... the odds of a system failing to report an interuption... (continuous reporting) or failing to report an interuption (conventional) would be.... more or less equal.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 12:20:50 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.